Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keep it simple with burgers and hotdogs or you breaking out the smoker ala Jeff.

Our tenative plan for BBQ and Fireworks are belgian beer, carne asada from a great butcher in the mission, jalapeno wrapped in bacon and filled with cream cheese and way more food.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Carl Hungus said:
A fine smoker like that and you're using Kingsford!?! Where's the wood?
Actually burned through 110 lbs of charcoal briquettes and 30 lbs of cherry wood in about 17 hours. All wood would have been hard to find and I thought it might be too much smoke. The Weber smoker doesn't need much wood at all.

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
probably..

baycat said:
Keep it simple with burgers and hotdogs or you breaking out the smoker ala Jeff.

Our tenative plan for BBQ and Fireworks are belgian beer, carne asada from a great butcher in the mission, jalapeno wrapped in bacon and filled with cream cheese and way more food.
keep it simple with whole chickens done in the chinese oven.

·
I'm disrespectful to dirt
479 Posts
As many on this forum can attest, this high-tech smoker delivers the goods...

Set up the chamber and meat thermocouples, 4-5 hours of smoke of whatever varieties of wood you want, and then forget it. I went with an aftermarket PID temperature control, where it slowly lowers the chamber temperature as the meat approaches your set point.. Now I can go out on a ride without worrying about coming back to dried out pre-jerky.

I'm going to have to hit up the local stores to see if there's any specials on pork butt. about 15-20 lbs should be good for smoking up this 4th (it freezes well if any is left over)

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
EBrider said:
Actually burned through 110 lbs of charcoal briquettes and 30 lbs of cherry wood in about 17 hours. All wood would have been hard to find and I thought it might be too much smoke. The Weber smoker doesn't need much wood at all.
Is that smoker made by Weber? I have an older New Braunfels that's beat to crap. I may be in the market for a new one. That things looks awesome. How much did it set you back?

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is a meat only thread.

All posts referencing burgers made out of granola and tan bark shall be removed by a moderator.

On a side note does anyone have some tips on grilling salmon?

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
JustJeff said:
As many on this forum can attest, this high-tech smoker delivers the goods...

Set up the chamber and meat thermocouples, 4-5 hours of smoke of whatever varieties of wood you want, and then forget it. I went with an aftermarket PID temperature control, where it slowly lowers the chamber temperature as the meat approaches your set point.. Now I can go out on a ride without worrying about coming back to dried out pre-jerky.

I'm going to have to hit up the local stores to see if there's any specials on pork butt. about 15-20 lbs should be good for smoking up this 4th (it freezes well if any is left over)
WOW! That's high tech! I haven't hear the phrase PID temperature control since I was working in industrial food plants.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Carl Hungus said:
Is that smoker made by Weber? I have an older New Braunfels that's beat to crap. I may be in the market for a new one. That things looks awesome. How much did it set you back?
No, Wally's rentals makes that. You can buy one for $4,000 or you can rent it for $150. I was kind of looking for a reason to rent it, so we invited about 50 people over. Its not really practical for regular use because regardless of how much you cook, it would still go through charcoal and wood like crazy.

If you like the offset firebox style, I hear the Barbecues Galore model is the way to go. The Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker is a little easier to set and leave for a few hours without having to worry about temperature.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.