Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Specialized Rida
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is why is it rubbing up against the piggyback body?
Everything that is on the shock should be on there which came from the factory.

I figured I would post something here while I wait for Manitou to get back at me.
Just in case anyone else has seen this or can explain why this is happening.

Just for further information it's an 05 Manitou Swinger 4-way with a Ti coil

Here are the pics of the problem.

Attachments

·
Specialized Rida
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
motomike said:
Stock Ti spring? Sometimes you just need to push it away into a more center position on the shock. Is the gap between the spring and the shock body the same all the way around?
Kind of stock. It came from Manitou as a replacement for the steel one.

It looks pretty centered to me, but maybe I can push the spring down wards away from the body, but I am not sure how that would handle when I start doing jumps, drops and things like that.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I wonder if the spring curves as it compresses? Kinda like compressing a pen spring between your fingers, it doesn't just compress evenly, it sorta arches? Does that even make any sense?

·
Specialized Rida
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HJB said:
I wonder if the spring curves as it compresses? Kinda like compressing a pen spring between your fingers, it doesn't just compress evenly, it sorta arches? Does that even make any sense?
Actually it does, and was pretty much my first thought. Unless the coil is defected it should not be compressing other than inward and it should not be bowing upwards as it compresses.

It's kind of strange becuase I have never heard anything or felt anything rubbing at all. everytime I go riding it rolls and feels so smooth over everything.

·
Specialized Rida
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whoaohohohoh said:
Can you tell if the spring has marks on it from rubbing against the piggy back?
Actually you kind of see something on one of the coils, but if I were to take the spring off and just show you the spring only. You will see a small rub, really really small and you would never even think that anything was rubbing on it.

Who knows maybe it's just the strenght of titanium and it takes a lot more to damage or scar than a regular steel spring.

·
Boulder chucker
152 Posts
Hey Skate,

I'm no expert but.....I see it's a RCS Ti spring you've got on there. It may be one of two things or a combination of the two. Curious as to the spring rate of your Ti. One: The RCS spring has a thicker wire diameter and probably just enough of a larger outside diameter that is rubs. Two: The springs inner diameter is just slightly larger and causes some slop when it's coupled to the collar and also the spring retainer plate. Without pre-load on the spring is there room for the spring to wiggle at each end?? In other words is there a gap between the collar and the inner diameter of the spring and at the retainer plate end allowing some slop??

The spring just may simply be just a bit too large. Common issue on the DHX with the RCS springs starting around the 500 rate and above. I had this problem with a 550 RCS Ti spring on my DHX.

Now can I get one of those free Mammoth lift tickets from the other thread! :D

D

·
Specialized Rida
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bigwaved said:
Now can I get one of those free Mammoth lift tickets from the other thread! :D

D
Ha ha. I wish I could but I haven't heard or know anything about the tickets yet. Hopefully I hear something soon.

As far as the coil is concerned it is a 450 or 460 for the spring rate. I am going to measure the old steel spring to see what the size is and how much difference there is between the two.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.