Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,306 Posts
You can order bikes that are out of stock/back-ordered. When you drop it in the "cart" you join a cue.

As I understand the process as bikes come into stock they are allocated in according to priority in the cue.

·
Registered
716 Posts
You can order bikes that are out of stock/back-ordered. When you drop it in the "cart" you join a cue.

As I understand the process as bikes come into stock they are allocated in according to priority in the cue.
This is how it works. The shop CAN order it. It won't ship until it is allocated to the dealer. It has been my experience that backordered bikes from Trek have fairly accurate ETA's and often allocate before the ETA.
By the way, I just ordered a medium EX 8 for a guy that will ship Oct 7.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Several years ago, the insurance company I work for started writing for aftermarket parts on our damage appraisals. That very same week, the company rolled out a national ad campaign that we only use the best available parts. Sometimes marketing and product don’t communicate with each other! I wonder that’s a reason for this issue with Trek and other large brands. They develop a new model, and marketing develops a huge reveal/rollout with the bike media & publications . I don’t think it would look good if they canceled the press event citing, “we cannot show this product because there’s an issue with the supply chain and or distribution.”

·
Co Springs
2,372 Posts
You're a brave man.
OP is just gonna yell and swear at you when he fins out you're 'just kidding'.

The potential customer didn't even thank the rep for getting back to him with some straightforward or at least updated information.
Sometimes we have to respect the truth even if it isn't what we want to hear.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
The potential customer didn't even thank the rep for getting back to him with some straightforward or at least updated information.
Sometimes we have to respect the truth even if it isn't what we want to hear.
I noticed that too.

I guess we'll see if his internet order goes through. Then there will be a problem and he'll roll the bike into the shop that he treated poorly for help, and expect it to be warranty work. LOL

Curious if the internet deal will get 'push back' until December, just like the remainder of the Trek dealers.

I shopped around for my <other brand> bike. Local shop gave me a date, and it changed a few times. Local shop was upfront. I went out of town (an hour) and test rode a bike (in my size this time). Shop confirmed a shipping date -same as my local shop told me. New shop told me 'no, it's saying they are shipping that date'. Making a point that it wasn't going to be delayed. He has no more allowance than my local shop did though and they were delayed. ha

It's just how it works now. Compounded with over-sea's production and shipping that has its own, separate, delays.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Ive been talking to Mitch via private chat so sorry you guys dont see every word about my order haha, and just a heads up I ordered my bike through my local Trek dealer so not sure where you think this "internet order" is coming from.

·
Super Moderator
4,306 Posts
Ive been talking to Mitch via private chat so sorry you guys dont see every word about my order haha, and just a heads up I ordered my bike through my local Trek dealer so not sure where you think this "internet order" is coming from.
Hope you get it sorted out to your satisfaction. IMO Trek CS is really good.

When your new bike is on backorder time seems to really drag out slowly.

·
Co Springs
2,372 Posts
Good to know.
You'll earn some credit for civilized rapport. Reps , local bike stores and behind the scenes people always seem to do more to help those of us that seem appreciative rather than dreary.
I can barley spend money in my lbs. Anytime I stop in with a question, or issue they demand I roll the bike right in and fix or adjust something on the spot. No write up and wait time or scheduling.... and won't take any $$.
I usually bring by some grab bags of snack mix or something every now and then as a thank you and, I don't expect this will go on forever but still. . . :cool: :thumbsup: :D

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I look at it the other way Trek is on top of their game right as far as Mountain Bikes that is the reason for the wait times, cant fault a company for developing something good and selling them, if they didn't do that we wouldn't get new products period!

Last bike I purchased before the 2020 Top Fuel I got was a Giant Revolt originally was supposed to wait 3 months for that bike took just over 2 months and it was worth the wait (mainly because I had a older but perfectly good CX bike to ride for that discipline.
I disagree with top of their game with the Mountain bikes.
They change the Top fuel to more of a trail/marathon bike they say. Add'd weight. There are Much more Efficient FS XC race bikes that people currently use for trail/XC/Marathon racing and you can buy it right now.

^^ That. I seen seen that work when I have ordered some bikes from Trek.

technically the LBS is ordering your bike via "online" :)

but to the OP and with Trek.
I would have just spent the money else where on a different brand of the ETA was not within what you wanted it to be or told from your LBS,

It's sad that Trek is about 1-2 months behind releasing 2020 models and you are not even able to get them. You can with other brands. Our race season started 2 weeks ago. We will be racing 1-2 times a month till May of 2020. So not being able to get a bike, say the new Supercaliber. It sucks.

With the releasing of the current bikes Trek has coming, the lack of a true SS HT and still waiting for the supercaliber to test and wait more to buy or being told to use a tensioner on the CX/Gravel bikes (checkpoint), has ultimately pushed me away from buying more Treks. I just sold my Wifes 2019 Fuel EX 8 WSD and My 2019 Fuel EX 8 29er is being looked at tonight. Those are the only Trek's left I own.. I am hoping this Supercaliber WOW's the **** out of me when I get it to demo, If the bikes ever comes in.

OP, sorry you had a lot of miscommunication between you and your LBS. I hope you get your bike sooner than later and can at least try to get out and ride it before too much snow comes in. Hell we just 3/4" of snow in AZ yesterday LMAO

·
Dirty Old Man
1,067 Posts
Man, how many expensive products are announced long before they are available for purchase? Cars, high end cameras and lenses, motorcycles, bikes, etc. You make the announcement to build interest and get people prepared.

·
GONE
25,282 Posts
With the enormous following that a huge bike company like Trek has going for it, why not build up an enormous stock pile of bikes/frames in advance so that orders can be filled in a reasonable amount of time and the Trek riders will remain Trek lovers. This is what car companies do and it's a good business model.

Sounds like a mismanagement issue from higher up in the ranks at headquarters.

And, as someone above has already stated, this is not the only bike company who is unable to fill orders fast. I do not know of which company that member is referring to but I know of a newer and rapidly growing bike company who has had a bit of a struggle filling orders within a reasonable amount of time as well. But in this case the company is growing faster than anyone had anticipated. This cannot be the case with Trek, who is a well established, long term bike company.

·
Registered
29 Posts
...This is what car companies do and it's a good business model...
I'm not sure what car companies you mean. I drive a Toyota Tacoma. The 2020 was announced in April. It is just shipping in the last month. The new Supra was announced about a year ago. Car companies announce new products way, way in advance all the time. In my experience this is normal in most businesses. The reason is simple and is actually good management, not mis-management. The simple reason is that it allows them to gauge interest in the product(s) and then build accordingly, hopefully with favorable reviews from early testers.

·
GONE
25,282 Posts
I'm not sure what car companies you mean. I drive a Toyota Tacoma. The 2020 was announced in April. It is just shipping in the last month. The new Supra was announced about a year ago. Car companies announce new products way, way in advance all the time. In my experience this is normal in most businesses. The reason is simple and is actually good management, not mis-management. The simple reason is that it allows them to gauge interest in the product(s) and then build accordingly, hopefully with favorable reviews from early testers.
Supra cannot be included here. It is not a mainstream vehicle. For Toyota, it's the Corolla, Camry, and Taco that the move the company along. The FEX is probably the Camry of Trek.

Furthermore, perhaps "announcements" are being confused with "releases"? But still, generally speaking, I've been seeing folks driving around in 2020 vehicles since about May.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Supra cannot be included here. It is not a mainstream vehicle.
No idea what you mean here. It's a $50k vehicle. A few thousand more than my Tacoma, and far, far less than my Lexus. I bet they'll sell lots of them.

I guess I should ask what you think a mainstream vehicle is?

You guys don't think they just build a bunch of bikes and hope they sell as many as they made do you? That would be mismanagement of a company IMO. Especially when your new bikes have a new design.

·
Super Moderator
4,306 Posts
With the releasing of the current bikes Trek has coming, the lack of a true SS HT and still waiting for the supercaliber to test and wait more to buy or being told to use a tensioner on the CX/Gravel bikes (checkpoint), has ultimately pushed me away from buying more Treks.
Stranglehold doesn't allow you to run it as an SS without a tensioner?

·
GONE
25,282 Posts
No idea what you mean here. It's a $50k vehicle. A few thousand more than my Tacoma, and far, far less than my Lexus. I bet they'll sell lots of them.

I guess I should ask what you think a mainstream vehicle is?

You guys don't think they just build a bunch of bikes and hope they sell as many as they made do you? That would be mismanagement of a company IMO. Especially when your new bikes have a new design.
Mainstream vehicles are what you see on the road right now: 4 door sedans, p/u trucks, CUVs/SUVs. There will never be as many Supras on the road as their is Camrys.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Stranglehold doesn't allow you to run it as an SS without a tensioner?
I asked them which CX bike they recommended to run SS. They said both the Boone and Crockett can be ran SS via a tenioner. They posted a pic of a Trek rider carrying a CX bike ( from what it looks like) setup SS but They didn't recommend using the Checkpoint as a CX bike. The Checkpoint you can use the sliders to run SS though.

61 - 80 of 120 Posts