Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
They're not the only one.
Ordered an Orbea bike, and got 2 months wait.
Same with specialized. I have friends waiting on Epic Evos to randomly come in.

Also, the derraileur hanger that is used on almost every bike they produce is out of stock and unavailable.

How is it that you do not have any hangers for all of teh mountain bikes you produce?

The aftermarket version of the hanger is $36! For another weak ass hanger design from specialized.

I have never bent a hanger on a top fuel.

·
Pizzaiolo Americano
223 Posts
I agree that this is a first world problem BUT...It is piss poor business to release a product without being able to supply it. It is not like the lack of supply could have been a surprise issue. Trek is too large not to be able to forecast production at the factories they contract to make the frames (if this is not the case, they should be looking another factory or better supply chain management personnel)...I get the issues with not being able to release certain versions of bikes because of vendor issues but the frames...If they can't control that, they have issues...If you can't supply it, don't release it...

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Now we are comparing bike shops to grocery stores and Amazon? The entitlement is strong with this one... Find a bike manufacturer that supports your temper tantrum style of commerce and steer clear of Trek then. (Pro tip - there isn't one. Applying grocery store and Amazon expectations to the bike industry will always leave you disappointed.)
I did. I placed an order and it was shipped same day. Others I've walked into the store and bought. Never waited more than 3 days for a frame from anyone. And I wouldn't.

I'm entitled to be entitled because it's my money. The companies have to earn my business. If they don't have inventory to sell me, the message they have sent is that they don't want my money. That is fine; I'll take it elsewhere. Markets are competitive for a reason.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Something also to consider when trying to blame a manufacturer/shop to carry inventory.

The shop needs to spend money up front, obviously, to maintain inventory.

They sell more than one style of bike. Bikes cost several thousand dollars. Depending on the location, does the shop have the overhead to purchase $50000 of bicycles that may or may not sell? Did owner purchase the correct amount of the exact bike that is expected to sell, or they only ordered 1 of your favorite (somebody walked in earlier that day and bought it) and there are 9 other cruiser bikes that never sell. Shop is out the money until a person walks in.

It's a challenge and struggle for a shop owner to properly guess who will come in today to purchase a new bike. With many people purchasing their own bike online -a brick and mortar building can't purchased based on historic ordering scenarios.

·
Pizzaiolo Americano
223 Posts
Something also to consider when trying to blame a manufacturer/shop to carry inventory.

The shop needs to spend money up front, obviously, to maintain inventory.

They sell more than one style of bike. Bikes cost several thousand dollars. Depending on the location, does the shop have the overhead to purchase $50000 of bicycles that may or may not sell? Did owner purchase the correct amount of the exact bike that is expected to sell, or they only ordered 1 of your favorite (somebody walked in earlier that day and bought it) and there are 9 other cruiser bikes that never sell. Shop is out the money until a person walks in.

It's a challenge and struggle for a shop owner to properly guess who will come in today to purchase a new bike. With many people purchasing their own bike online -a brick and mortar building can't purchased based on historic ordering scenarios.
None of that is relevant to this situation. Shop owners cannot even ORDER a bike and deliver it in a reasonable time frame. Trek messed up...

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
None of that is relevant to this situation. Shop owners cannot even ORDER a bike and deliver it in a reasonable time frame. Trek messed up...
Well....OP stated he has already ordered the bike. Nothing was mentioned that the shop couldn't order inventory to have on hand. Who's to say shop can't order 4 bikes to have on hand? doesn't mean shop received 4 bikes, but they could be order if shop wanted to spend the money.

A reasonable time frame isn't the only issue which is unrelated to 'can't order'.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
Unless you're a fairly big shop...most won't do a size run on all models. If the manufacturer has the bike in stock...it can be ordered and arrive in 3 to 7 days.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I agree that this is a first world problem BUT...It is piss poor business to release a product without being able to supply it. It is not like the lack of supply could have been a surprise issue.
Agree with this 100%

If you can't supply it, don't release it...
Its amazing to think that somewhere, someone in management has consciously made a decision that... despite pent-up demand, despite the opportunity to satisfy so many customers and improve brand perception, despite the competition from Canyon etc who can ship bikes in days...

...despite all of this, its apparently totally acceptable to release without sufficient or any stock and to have customers willing to pay $5000+ dollars for a discretionary purchase, waiting somewhere between a quarter to half a year.

No need to improve, nothing to see here folks.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Remember, the heavily advertised, heavily touted, and mysterious helmet released earlier this year was sitting on store shelves for at least week before they could sell them, or even say what it was!
But a "revolutionary" bike?
No, you can't have one.

I'm telling you, it's because of completion and shipping if the frames from Taiwan. Some sort of backup there.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Remember, the heavily advertised, heavily touted, and mysterious helmet released earlier this year was sitting on store shelves for at least week before they could sell them, or even say what it was!
But a "revolutionary" bike?
No, you can't have one.

I'm telling you, it's because of completion and shipping if the frames from Taiwan. Some sort of backup there.
Yep, that is entirely possible. Perhaps the Giant factory is just... you know... oops... accidentally... mysteriously... unable to supply frames to make it hard for Trek and take some of the wind out of Trek's new product sails.

Whatever it is, its something that trek should be on top of as part of their outsourcing contract for frame manufacture. Outsourcing has both risks and rewards. The risks should have Super tight controls over them.

If this is the case, then Trek really needs to tighten its supplier risk management. It's super dumb to let your competitor (who also happens to be your frame manufacturer) take an action which drags Trek's name through the mud.

·
Pizzaiolo Americano
223 Posts
Well....OP stated he has already ordered the bike. Nothing was mentioned that the shop couldn't order inventory to have on hand. Who's to say shop can't order 4 bikes to have on hand? doesn't mean shop received 4 bikes, but they could be order if shop wanted to spend the money.

A reasonable time frame isn't the only issue which is unrelated to 'can't order'.
We must be reading different threads...

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts
I did. I placed an order and it was shipped same day. Others I've walked into the store and bought. Never waited more than 3 days for a frame from anyone. And I wouldn't.

I'm entitled to be entitled because it's my money. The companies have to earn my business. If they don't have inventory to sell me, the message they have sent is that they don't want my money. That is fine; I'll take it elsewhere. Markets are competitive for a reason.
Cool story bro? That was my point - if you choose to make your purchases by what's available within three days then you are pretty limited in your choices. **** even when I order something from Amazon it often takes more than three days.

I get that you feel entitled to your entitlement and you can absolutely take your money elsewhere... But just do that, don't whine about it. You have higher standards of your manufacturer's supply chain than most, no biggie, don't act like it's some ethical issue.

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts
It is piss poor business to release a product without being able to supply it.
I don't know that it is. Certainly if Trek wanted to wait until it's ready to ship to begin advertising they could - so why don't they? I highly doubt it's because they're just dumb/lazy/mean... Seems to me they've looked at the options and decided this is the best course. Also seems other manufacturer's came to the same conclusion.

Any of the armchair supply chain managers in here actually have any experience with supply chain management? Kinda laughable - a group of entitled consumers playing make believe that they know supply chain management better than the experts and go figure, their conclusion is that they should get what they want the moment they want it at all costs.

·
Pizzaiolo Americano
223 Posts
Any of the armchair supply chain managers in here actually have any experience with supply chain management? Kinda laughable - a group of entitled consumers playing make believe that they know supply chain management better than the experts and go figure, their conclusion is that they should get what they want the moment they want it at all costs.
I have 25 years experience in Supply Chain Management and a degree to go with it so yes, I am vaguely familiar...

·
Registered
436 Posts
TheDwayyo give it a rest. Sometimes less is more. You made your point and I agree with a lot of them but at this point, you just come across as a Trek sycophant. I sincerely hope you don't work for Trek or a Trek dealer with the attitude that customers are whiners and Trek can do no wrong.

We know businesses get it wrong all the time. Ford, once a leader in supply chain management is now junk. I hope other employees at Trek aren't content and resting on their laurels and making excuses rather than taking feedback from dissatisfied customers and constructively using it to improve the business practice.

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts
I have 25 years experience in Supply Chain Management and a degree to go with it so yes, I am vaguely familiar...
That's fair. It does seem like an industry-wide issue though, wonder why the bike industry is behind?

TheDwayyo give it a rest. Sometimes less is more. You made your point and I agree with a lot of them but at this point, you just come across as a Trek sycophant. I sincerely hope you don't work for Trek or a Trek dealer with the attitude that customers are whiners and Trek can do no wrong.

We know businesses get it wrong all the time. Ford, once a leader is supply chain management is now junk. I hope other employees at Trek aren't content and resting on their laurels and making excuses rather than taking feedback from dissatisfied customers and constructively using it to improve the business practice.
Also fair. Honestly it has less to do with Trek and more to do with the attitudes of consumers these days as a result of Amazon and our next-day shipping culture. Just rubs me the wrong way, but you're right - I've made my point.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Just for clarification, I went to the shop and told them tio order the bike and they said they would do so. They then got ahold of me days later and told it was "backordered" and they are unable to order it until it comes out of the backordered status. There is some way though that it still shows the shop has an order for the bike though, and Mitch said it shows that it is ordered to so.

41 - 60 of 120 Posts