Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Just not true. Sounds like the communication could have been a bit better, but the reality is this is fairly common among many (all?) - particularly this time of year with new models. The fact that your buddies got bikes in two weeks doesn't make that any less true.

I don't see the point of a temper tantrum. You know that you won't have the bike until October at the earliest, December at the latest... If that's not OK for you then move on and find something available sooner. It's really that simple.

You talk as though this is some life-saving medication you're waiting for... It's a bike, which is a luxury item. I get that you are a paying (good money too) customer but at the end of the day it's really just not worth getting so riled up about - buy it or don't.
Bikes are medication. Rather riding them is.

That said a stumpjumper is a better option as they are available and have a threaded bb

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts
Bikes are medication. Rather riding them is.

That said a stumpjumper is a better option as they are available and have a threaded bb
If the fact that a $3k bike you want to buy isn't available for a couple months sends you into a temper tantrum then no, bikes are not medication for you.

·
Super Moderator
4,366 Posts
Got ahold of Trek on there website, there saying mid October I should have it, Mitch is saying December, and my dealer is saying December and that they cant even order it. I dont know whats going on anymore. They have a ton of Fuel EX 9.7, I offered to buy one of those if theyd be willing to work on a better price and they said no haha. Guess I am waiting for the 2021 models to come out at this point.
Can you clarify: Have you ordered the bike or not?

First post you said you've ordered it, this post says they can't order it for you.

·
Registered
14,367 Posts
Hi Mitch,
Can you blame me for being upset? Trek is the only company who cant fill there orders. Everyone else is getting there bikes in a matter of 2 weeks tops.
Lead times from last 6 bikes I have ordered:

1. 6 months [cancelled order]
2. 2 months
3. 2 months [ended up being 5 months because I wanted a specific fork that was back ordered]
4. 7 months [new bike waiting on carbon molds to get finished]
5. 7 months [lots of smaller issues cropped up delaying bike]
6. 1 month [bike actually never arrived due to QC issue delays so I cancelled order]

I think maybe one time in the last 15 years I ordered a bike and got it in 2 weeks. So I think your expectations are not inline with reality, but if you really can't wait cancel your order and get something else.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Lol...there is no way I'd wait months for a bike. There are so many other brands that are available...now.
Couldn't agree more. If I could walk into a store and impulse buy a bike, my checking account would be empty. It's remarkable that inventory management is so bad at many bike companies. They will never know all the $$$ they've lost from this.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
... They will never know all the $$$ they've lost from this.
I'm pretty sure they do. They have full time educated and experienced professionals who job is to manage the supply chain and inventory and who well understand all the costs involved. There are a lot of variables, and sometimes they have too few bikes and others too many. The latter is usually more costly.

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts
Couldn't agree more. If I could walk into a store and impulse buy a bike, my checking account would be empty. It's remarkable that inventory management is so bad at many bike companies. They will never know all the $$$ they've lost from this.
It's a balancing act that has more variables than you seem to be aware of. If you think you've spent more time thinking about this as a consumer than they have as producers then you're off your nut. There just isn't a perfect solution, they're doing the best they can.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Late last October I ordered a bike that came in end of December. I was told several different arrival dates during that time, the manufacturer kept having to change the delivery date.

Not only that, I waited a while because 2 months previous there were delays in shipping. I was told they have been starting to ship so I went ahead and ordered. So considering my bike was 2 months delayed, others before me were 6- weeks delayed.

This wasn't a TREK either.

It could be a number of reasons or the delay, including maybe your store isn't high on the list and doesn't get first shipment of orders, especially if shop has only 1 bicycle on order.

You mentioned earlier "can you be blamed for being upset". Absolutely!!
You are showing your true character in being so belligerent regarding something that is 100% out of your control.

During the time when I ordered my bike, there was a another bike on order. The person who ordered the bike was a fire fighter that had spent the entire summer fighting fires. He went in to the shop to lay down cash for his order and received it 3 months later.
Yep, a fire fighter risking his life fighting forest fires through fatigue, high temperatures and gnarly conditions was also told his bike isn't shipping.
But thanks for sharing your displeasure.

·
Loud tyres save lives
538 Posts
The only brand new bike I ordered from Trek was the Farley which I was told at the time would be around 6-8 weeks for delivery and I think it was just shy of the six weeks which was fine. It offered what I wanted for a good price but if I was needing something urgently, I'd have bought one that in stock likely a previous MY or an alternate brand.

Trek are certainly not the only company that don't have a full range of new MY bikes immediately available to order but if they're honest about it up front you know where you are.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It's a balancing act that has more variables than you seem to be aware of. If you think you've spent more time thinking about this as a consumer than they have as producers then you're off your nut. There just isn't a perfect solution, they're doing the best they can.

I can see both sides of the equation here.

I will assume the OP is probably a strong Trek supporter who has been looking forward to the release of this brand new model which has been 3 years in the making. They may have held off buying for all that time. They are now quite excited, as it will be a real and expensive treat for themselves. They could just walk away but but they really are emotionally invested in this particular bike. It's still their choice ultimately to walk away.

However, on Trek's side, sales, forecasting and supply chain is extremely difficult. Especially when Trek has lots of independent LBS sales/sellers and also suppliers beyond their control (SRAM etc) including some suppliers who even compete directly with Trek (e.g. Giant). Unsold inventory has a cost to Trek and their shops which they are trying to minimise. I do not envy the people who have to predict volumes and order stock in advance.

My 2 cents

On the changing delivery dates...

- I believe that it is poor customer service to make a commitment to your customers and then have your varying representatives provide different expectations and change that commitment more than once. The shop staff and Trek should be looking at the same central ordering system, with clear status of order progress. Everyone should be on the same page.
- Why not have the system email the customer with order status directly?

- Whatever sales or supply chain factors have caused the repeated delivery blowouts need to be addressed. Changing a delivery date should be only a last resort once a commitment has been made to the customer.

- If this persons order had been allocated to someone else then that is not acceptable. The system should lock the order in at the time of sale.

- If the shop salesperson lied on date just to get the sale. Trek should penalise the shop. It's Trek's brand taking the hit here.

- If its loose supply-chain agreements between Trek and others (SRAM/Giant etc). These should be fixed. However, it's not worth bothering with Shimano as they don't care at all how their glacial operations impact anyone else.

On 2 and 3 month delivery times...

- Like it or not, in 2019 many other industries and competitors have their ordering and supply systems working so that same day delivery is the norm. Treks performance is being measured not just against other bike companies but against other industries. Its almost the end of the the northern hemisphere summer, so of course people want to ride their new bikes before the winter sets in!

- I personally believe that this idiotic industry practice of announcing products and then making them available only months (or years!) later needs to just stop.
There is no reason why a company cannot have their on-shore warehouses ready with enough stock of a model with pent-up demand. Even if they can't guarantee inventory due to high demand, they should have a backup supply plan for the first 3-6 months of new products when demand will be high.

I don't care abut SRAM but I note that they had AXS in Australian supplier warehouses the SAME day that it was announced.... It can be done.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
The issue I was up against last year was the bikes hasn't been sent from China yet. Can't blame the local warehouse when the boat hasn't arrived.

No idea if this is the case with the Trek shipping this year -but last for me from a different manufacturer, can't blame the warehouses.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Very good points by @dave_rh . One thing I do disagree though is that I actually prefer to see the new bikes in advance of being available. You don't expect to get your hands on that new model year car either the second it's introduced. Rather, they announce when they will be available. To me, it's not that unreasonable to get a MY 2020 bike in late 2019 only. If I'd expect it for 2019 summer then it should be MY 2019v2 :)

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hi guys,
So I just ordered a 2020 Trek Fuel EX 8 the other day and everyday that goes by it comes to be another month that it is still not available. What the f*** is the deal with this? I know a bunch of people that just bought bikes from a few different companies and there bikes are all ordered and available within 2 weeks at the latest, custom made and delivered to there dealer. Trek is the only company that cant fill an order. It is ridiculous that you release the new years products and you cant even fill the orders from day 1. Bike wont be available for me to pick up until end of November, are you f****** kidding me? I live in CT, but by the time I get it I wont even be able to use it. Thanks Trek. Not a good way to bring in me as a new customer. Not happy :( Hope there is a Trek rep here that can comment on this. Matt
Lmao , guess you didn't check with your local santa cruz dealer !! They are a joke.
I learned my lesson with trek last year. I didn't get the color I wanted. Bottom line , if you're gonna order a new bike , from just about any company wait till January.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I look at it the other way Trek is on top of their game right as far as Mountain Bikes that is the reason for the wait times, cant fault a company for developing something good and selling them, if they didn't do that we wouldn't get new products period!

Last bike I purchased before the 2020 Top Fuel I got was a Giant Revolt originally was supposed to wait 3 months for that bike took just over 2 months and it was worth the wait (mainly because I had a older but perfectly good CX bike to ride for that discipline.

·
Registered
724 Posts
If your LBS tells you they can't order a Trek because it's on backorder, you're dealing with an untruthful shop. We place the order, then we are in line with everyone else. I have dozens of bikes in my backorder list and I can get notifications if the eta changes. I have a bike that was eta of January that is on it's way today. Things change with backordered bikes every day. Want me to order you one?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Not my problem. If I went to the grocery store and they wanted me to order my lunchmeat two months ahead, I'd tell them to pound sand. If this is the best they can do, then I'm glad I don't have any Treks in my garage. It is the year 2019. This is simply not acceptable. If bike shops want to sell bikes, they need to have inventory, period. Amazon already has all the accessories and parts anyone could ever want, often times even with overnight shipping there's still money to be saved. If the bike shops don't even have any bikes, then they have nothing left.

Trek also apparently requires its dealers to constrain their inventory to a certain percentage of Trek products so that the stores will be flooded with Trek. That compounds the problem because then they have to be even more selective as to what they stock and display from other brands. I don't know why or how that's even legal, but shame on them for doing that, too.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
If your LBS tells you they can't order a Trek because it's on backorder, you're dealing with an untruthful shop. We place the order, then we are in line with everyone else. I have dozens of bikes in my backorder list and I can get notifications if the eta changes. I have a bike that was eta of January that is on it's way today. Things change with backordered bikes every day. Want me to order you one?
You're a brave man.
OP is just gonna yell and swear at you when he fins out you're 'just kidding'.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Not my problem. If I went to the grocery store and they wanted me to order my lunchmeat two months ahead, I'd tell them to pound sand. If this is the best they can do, then I'm glad I don't have any Treks in my garage. It is the year 2019. This is simply not acceptable. If bike shops want to sell bikes, they need to have inventory, period. Amazon already has all the accessories and parts anyone could ever want, often times even with overnight shipping there's still money to be saved. If the bike shops don't even have any bikes, then they have nothing left.

Trek also apparently requires its dealers to constrain their inventory to a certain percentage of Trek products so that the stores will be flooded with Trek. That compounds the problem because then they have to be even more selective as to what they stock and display from other brands. I don't know why or how that's even legal, but shame on them for doing that, too.
You are correct, it is 2019. You can order a 2019 Fuel EX 8 in small, medium, large or XL right now. ETA on the dealer site for 2020 EX 8 is October 7-23 depending on your size. Want me to order you one?

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts

Now we are comparing bike shops to grocery stores and Amazon? The entitlement is strong with this one... Find a bike manufacturer that supports your temper tantrum style of commerce and steer clear of Trek then. (Pro tip - there isn't one. Applying grocery store and Amazon expectations to the bike industry will always leave you disappointed.)

21 - 40 of 120 Posts