Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What is EPO?

1K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  Pain Freak 
#1 ·
Im not up on my performance inhancing drugs can someone explain how this drug works please.

#3 ·
This is an interesting topic.

In my opinion I think that there is a higher level of drug use among rodies.

I would be interested in hearing others thoughts on Performance drugs in the MTBR world.

To add some information to your question EPO will significantly increase your red blood cell count, this allows the body to carry more oxygen to the muscle thus increasing performance.

#8 ·
Bad Jue-Jue My Friend

Johnny Hair Boy said:
Im not up on my performance inhancing drugs can someone explain how this drug works please.
This is a dangerous drug when misused and a number of athletes (including cyclists) have died from it. Because it increases red blood cells it thickens the blood. While in a race the heart is pumping fast and hard enough to move the blood. But after the race when the cyclist goes home and sits down to rest the heart slows and has problems moving the thicker blood through the system and people have died of clots, strokes, and heart attacks while sleeping or just sitting at home. Think of it tring pump syurp! IMHO, no race or compition is important enough to risk your health in that way...just plan dumb! I feel sorry for the people who use that crap and don't get caught. At least the ones that get caught doping get a chance to clean up. I understand the pressure to win and the money involved at the pro level...but thats no excuse to lose perspective on life.

Joy! :)

#10 ·
EPO increases the red blood cell count, which equals more oxygen uptake and thus more power and energy. Great for cancer patients and anemics. Its somewhat dangerous when abused by healthy athletes if they fail to take blood thinners and other components of the regime. I don't think the long-term effects are really established yet. But note that training at altitude or using an O2 tent also increase blood cell count. I am not sure what other physiological effects EPO causes that these types of training do not besides gross overproduction of blood cells if not regulated.

And yes, World Cup MTB cross-country riders probably abuse it as frequently as pro road cyclists. Even though MTB takes handling skills, a pro cross country race takes alot of endurance. Look at Filippe today. A few years ago, Frischy got the World title because the winner admitted EPO use.

#15 ·
Well, actually, contrary to what has been said on this thread it isn't exactly a "drug" and it isn't necessarily dangerous. In fact, we need it to live. It is a naturally occurring hormone produced by the kidney and also by the liver in order to stimulate the bone marrow to produce red blood cells and haemoglobin. Red blood cells carry oxygen to one's muscles.

Hence athletes have been known to abuse it in order to be able to get more oxygen to the muscles. For the last three or so years there has been a test to detect its use by athletes (prior to that testers could only detect the haematocrit level which was indicative of its use but not the actual EPO level).

#18 ·
The answer is simple, as it always has been.

We need an "unlimited" catagory in competitions. Where she-males, he-shes, people on uppers, downers, slammers, jammers, and whatever else can compete in an open-catagory, anything goes. The ultimate for competition and spectators.

#19 ·
Jm. said:

We need an "unlimited" catagory in competitions. Where she-males, he-shes, people on uppers, downers, slammers, jammers, and whatever else can compete in an open-catagory, anything goes. The ultimate for competition and spectators.
Laughing out loud. Full contact Tour de France, with blades on the wheels and 300 pound steroid monkeys chasing each other down.

#20 ·
Jm. said:

Dax said:
Laughing out loud. Full contact Tour de France, with blades on the wheels and 300 pound steroid monkeys chasing each other down.
AAAAAAAHHHHHhahahaha!! thats good stuff right there :p :p :p

#22 ·
Jm. said:

Kinda like the Ultimate Cycling Championship?Does Gracey bike? :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.