Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Guesswho117
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is consider a great deal on a new Mojo SL with the XT package? Can anyone share this with me either privately or openly. Today I went out and saw and rode my first Mojo. I must say it was pretty impressive. What a beautiful bike? With the economy the way it is, I'm hoping to find a sweet sweet deal on a Mojo SL somewhere near San Francisco. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Sweet deal? Lol... The only sweet deal you are going to find on a Mojo is from someone who recently had a heart attack from looking at the sexy frame too much... and can no longer ride... :D
Seriously, they sometimes come up second hand, but not too often. Apart from that, just bite the bullet and pay the price ... you won't be sorry you did once you ride it.

R.

Guesswho117 said:
What is consider a great deal on a new Mojo SL with the XT package? Can anyone share this with me either privately or openly. Today I went out and saw and rode my first Mojo. I must say it was pretty impressive. What a beautiful bike? With the economy the way it is, I'm hoping to find a sweet sweet deal on a Mojo SL somewhere near San Francisco. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I got mine from Castro Valley Cyclery in the East Bay (San Francisco Bay Area). Talk to John he's the owner and a friend of mine. Let him know Carlos sent you, and I'm sure you'll get a great deal.

Castro Valley Cyclery www.castrovalleycyclery.com
(510) 538-1878

btw.. it's better if you drop by cause the shop gets busy. I was just in there and they have a nude Mojo SL with red links.

Carlos

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
Lelandjt said:
I know frames never go below MSRP. My shop covered the tax. I looked all over and this is the first time I've paid retail for a bike part.
Not true.

I bought a frame only....wasn't the SL though.....and I didn't pay nearly what retail was. I won't tell you the price....but I'll tell you it was substantially less.....as in I've seen used frames go for more. No tax either.

My buddy bought a Mojo frame last year about 2 months before me from a shop in SF and didn't pay nearly the retail price either. I forget which store though......but if you want, I'm sure I can ask my buddy where he got it so PM me if you're interested.

Also before I bought my frame, I priced out a frame at a shop in Milpitas.....still way below MSRP.

Granted, you're looking for a complete bike.....but I don't think I'm making a crazy assumption by saying if the shops I was dealing with were willing to discount the frame, that they wouldn't do the same for the whole bike.......the margins on complete bikes have to be greater than just the frame alone which would mean that they should be more willing to negotiate on price.

LBS's have to be hurting in this economy. A niche shop like these get hit hard in a severe downturn such as this.

·
ZEN RIDER!
950 Posts
sales 101 - what is a good deal?
A good deal is having a happy & satisfied customer.
It's in the eye of the beholder. A customer can pay full list or over retail & be completely satisfied & feel they got a good deal because they were treated right.
On the other side of the coin you get the customer who pays a percentage above cost & is never satisfied or wonders why the dealer he purchased from has crappy customer service. Stores that have better margins have better service because they can afford to pay for good employees such as a qualified mechanic or proper training.
That being said there is always a discountable margin & it depends on what your willing to live with as far as customer service. I always try to give the local guy my business.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My LBS was very happy to give me a discount on my SL as I had bought a standard Mojo from them the year before. Between the discount and the jump in the Loonie at that time, it meant that I ended up paying less for the SL than the original one (frame only in both cases).

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
This is funny. I picked up the frame yesterday and it was the first time I'd been in Mountain Pedaller. You have to realize what a small town Minturn is. One street with businesses for maybe a quarter mile. The shop is small, maybe 10 bikes on the floor. The owner said that he is actually the biggest Ibis and Maverick dealer in the world! I guess being in between Vail and Beaver Creek prov ides a lot of well healed clientel. Still, it's a cool, old, Colorado hippy kind of shop so I'm glad he has my money.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.