Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about building up a XC bike and I have an old frame laying around that most of you would laugh at so I won't mention what it is but it weighs in at 4.87 pounds. What do average hardtail frames weigh? If anyone has any suggestions on a lighter frame (priced cheaply or easily found second hand) that would be great. I'm an all mountain rider but would like to dabble in some xc racing.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
In larger sizes, light aluminium frames are often 3.7 to 3.8 pounds, scandium frames maybe 3.2 to 3.4 pounds and carbon frames 2.6-2.8 pounds. Budget alloy hardtails with heftier tubes were in the 4.0 to 4.5 pound range, and steel hardtails in the 4.7-5.0 pounds.

The Kona Kula Supreme or Deluxe scandium frame is/was one of the better bargains for an XC hardtail frame.

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
My 2005 Cannondale aluminum frame hardtail in medium, weighs 3.39lbs/1538g. The lightest I can AFFORD to get it......was 18.9lbs/8573g. I would say any light frame you can afford, is the ideal one for you. I don't race- but I lent my bike to a racer friend, who took my bike to three, Expert-Class podiums, in five races. He said my bike climbs so well- he has to force the front wheel down, while ascending.

Like Rocky said above- those figures are very accurate.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
SuspectDevice said:
Our XC race frames (6061 alu, btw) come in between 2.75 (14") and 3 pounds (21")
A 3.8 pound aluminum frame is massively, massively overbuilt for xc use, IMO.

Mickey
Spooky Bikes
That's wildly light for an aluminium hardtail. Is that a straight raw bead blast aluminium finish. What's the warranty period?

·
Registered
647 Posts
rockyuphill said:
That's wildly light for an aluminium hardtail. Is that a straight raw bead blast aluminium finish. What's the warranty period?
That's ano'd. It's really not that light actually, if I wanted to make a one season bike I could get the weight down to 2 and quarter or so pounds, and it would still be stronger than something like a Scale. We get stuff so light, and durable by designng all of our own tubesets, and factoring in a significant amount of butting and smooth but transitions in the flex areas. As a result, the bikes ride super smoothly as well.
If the frame breaks, and it's our fault, we'll take care of it. Call it a limited lifetime warranty. Under xc race conditions our bikes will not break. If someone decides to ride their sub 3 pound frame as a slalom bike, they deserve no pity...

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
My frame is 3.41lb/1550g, including headset. I was still able to get it down to 18.9lb/8.5kg, running tubeless. Light parts helps greatly...

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
supergringo said:
Why build up such a light bike if you don't race it?
I plan on racing it. I am just waiting for doctor approval. I suffered from congestive heart failure, three years ago, while being high on meth and smoking two packs of cigarettes/day.

I have since quit both....

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Zachariah said:
My frame is 3.41lb/1550g, including headset. I was still able to get it down to 18.9lb/8.5kg, running tubeless. Light parts helps greatly...
I guess you did not notice you posted the same bike in this same thread three weeks ago?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.