Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Big M, Little organ.
294 Posts
What is a good neck brace for down hill?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Leatt. I only have experience with Leatt but they are comfortable and well made. If you wear a jacket/spine protector look for one that's compatible. The MTB specific models are supposed to offer a little more range of motion as well.

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
The chitinous armor of your bedbug brethren will protect you.

·
Registered
784 Posts
This data is interesting, but not very good (I'm a social statistician). It only observes injuries, so doesn't capture how many people are/are not wearing neck braces in the population. If the overall injury counts are taken as representative, what means roughly half of injured people were wearing a neck brace, which seems very high to me, but obviously it depends on the context. It also presumes that respondents take "neck protection" to mean "neck brace". The higher incidence of clavicle fractures without a brace (when a brace isn't intended to protect the clavicle) is not a great sign for me as to data reliability.

In any case, even if I don't think the data is definitive, it doesn't seem like wearing a neck brace is a bad idea and I'll watch this thread with interest.

·
Village Idiot
155 Posts
A broken collarbone is far more painful than a broken neck (I would imagine). I didn't feel a thing when I broke my neck 10 years ago. Then again, I was also knocked unconscious with a bruised and bleeding brain and didn't come out of my morphine-induced coma for 2.5 weeks.

This happened on an offroad motorcycle. I was very paranoid when I rode again, so I got a Leatt. I found that it really hindered me in many ways, so I ditched it after very few rides. All they really do is move the location of what is to break (if you hit it hard enough), to another location. However, a broken collarbone doesn't wreck your entire life for 6 months, like a broken neck does. Wearing a halo screwed into your skull for 3 months is a complete nightmare.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A broken collarbone is far more painful than a broken neck (I would imagine). I didn't feel a thing when I broke my neck 10 years ago. Then again, I was also knocked unconscious with a bruised and bleeding brain and didn't come out of my morphine-induced coma for 2.5 weeks.

This happened on an offroad motorcycle. I was very paranoid when I rode again, so I got a Leatt. I found that it really hindered me in many ways, so I ditched it after very few rides. All they really do is move the location of what is to break (if you hit it hard enough), to another location. However, a broken collarbone doesn't wreck your entire life for 6 months, like a broken neck does. Wearing a halo screwed into your skull for 3 months is a complete nightmare.
would it be safer to forgo the brace? I have Leatt upper body 3DO armor.
would the brace cause other injuries?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.