Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Specialized Rida
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buying a truing stand, but wanted the conveniance of not have to take the tire and tubes off. I know the park truing stand you have to take the tire and tubes of unless you buy the lift up adapters and the twenty mill axle adapters.

but I dont want to have all kinds of extra parts that you put together just to do one job. So is there any good truing stands like Park's truing stand that will handle these types of wheels?

Skate :cool:

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Skate, I posted some comments that turned into a half-assed review of the Ultimate stand in this thread in the wheel forum:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=113641

The fact that it does so well with my heavy-ass Speedhub and that I can leave the rubber on while truing 29" wheels, well, it sounds as if that's what you're asking for.

·
Specialized Rida
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speedub.Nate said:
Skate, I posted some comments that turned into a half-assed review of the Ultimate stand in this thread in the wheel forum:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=113641

The fact that it does so well with my heavy-ass Speedhub and that I can leave the rubber on while truing 29" wheels, well, it sounds as if that's what you're asking for.
Yeah pretty much.
I have the ultimate repair stand myself and trued my wheels when i had my cross country bike which used quick releases of course, but now that I have my DH bikes which consists of solid rear axle and 20mm front hub. i can't put it on the stand anymore. so as of right now I have a usless stand that I don't even use.

From what I have researched. There are now truing stands that will hold up to 29 inch wheels. What that means for me is that I can put my 26 inche DH rim and leave the 3 inch tire on and it should fit fine.

what I haven't been able to find is one that will not only fit a rim with a fat tire on it, but also 20mm front hub(which they make adapter for ), and a solid axle rear hub( with consists of on bar with two nuts at each end).

So what I am looking for is a truing stand that will compliment all three at once, big wheel, solid axle rear and 20mm front hub without buying all those add on attachments to make it work.

But I have only been able to find truings that can now do big tires or rims.

If only Ultimate would make something that could do all three, becauseI really like Ultimate's truing stand and bike stand.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Have you aware of the QBP / Problem Solvers 20mm Hub Adapter for Truing Stands?

The QBP catalog number is TL1300 (they're under Catalog > Tools > Wheels > Truing Stand Accessories > Problem Solvers on the www.aebike.com website.

I'm about to build my first 20mm front wheel using my Ultimate stand, and got this recommendation from the forums.

I don't see any solutions to the rear TA axle problem. That's be a good question for either the Wheelbuilding or Downhill forums.

·
Specialized Rida
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Speedub.Nate said:
Have you aware of the QBP / Problem Solvers 20mm Hub Adapter for Truing Stands?

The QBP catalog number is TL1300 (they're under Catalog > Tools > Wheels > Truing Stand Accessories > Problem Solvers on the www.aebike.com website.

I'm about to build my first 20mm front wheel using my Ultimate stand, and got this recommendation from the forums.

I don't see any solutions to the rear TA axle problem. That's be a good question for either the Wheelbuilding or Downhill forums.

I love QBP, especially since I can get stuff from there cheap.

I guess I can go check those forums out for the rear axle, but I wasn't aware that you could put a quick release though the 20mm hub adapters. Cool

This way I can still use the ultimate truing stand. As far as teh through axle well...I guess I will just have to play with it.

I might be able to tighten them inward untill they tighten on the stand hopefully there is enough threading to do it.

Well at least that solves the front hub, which I though would be the hardest using the ultimate truing stand

·
Specialized Rida
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
on which stand

TeamRoundBoys said:
You could also just run an 8 mm hex wrench through the hub and save some cash.
Man from the looks of it. It looks like you went down the list on Tooltime threads and started answering posts like crazy.

By the way are you refering to regular truing in stands, becuase i don't think that trick will work on my ultimate truing stand.

·
Registered
155 Posts
the best solution to your problem is no truing stand, but

Hey there Skate, there is a tool shown at UtahMountainbiking.com in thier " fix-it" called the R2.O.C.-TECH that surveys rims and rotors right on the bike or in any stand. It is so accurate that I've actually tuned a noticably stronger wheel because every spoke is even. I even use it on my road bikes wheels. The tool is made by morningstartools.com so you know its good. and it is protable for road trips

·
Specialized Rida
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Douglas Fir said:
Hey there Skate, there is a tool shown at UtahMountainbiking.com in thier " fix-it" called the R2.O.C.-TECH that surveys rims and rotors right on the bike or in any stand. It is so accurate that I've actually tuned a noticably stronger wheel because every spoke is even. I even use it on my road bikes wheels. The tool is made by morningstartools.com so you know its good. and it is protable for road trips
I actually bought the drumstix from Utah mtb and wasn't sure how accurate the dial gauge was. I may have to consider it. thanks for the feedback.

·
Fearing the Reaper
192 Posts
skate said:
I am looking to buying a truing stand, but wanted the conveniance of not have to take the tire and tubes off. I know the park truing stand you have to take the tire and tubes of unless you buy the lift up adapters and the twenty mill axle adapters.

but I dont want to have all kinds of extra parts that you put together just to do one job. So is there any good truing stands like Park's truing stand that will handle these types of wheels?

The best truing stand out there is the Park. To solve the thru axle dilema, I stick a 8 or 10mm allen through the hub and clamp the stand down. (probably what TRB was referring to) I can't ever remember having a problem truing with a tire on either. (2.5 Maxxis)

I also have an Ultimate stand for road trips and such. I use a threaded rod with washers and nuts to replicate a Q/R when truing wheels with thru-axles. Works fine with 12x150 and 20mm. You just have to keep flipping it over to watch the dish.

·
Bike Dork
1,365 Posts
Two zip-ties strapped to the seatstays or fork blades trimmed close and you don't even have to remove the wheel. If you don't want lo-fi go with the Park stand and the thru-hub adapter inserts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.