Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's my question. I am the second or third owner of a previously PUSH'd Talas RLC. I'm really happy with the way the fork handles on trails etc., but I am not happy with the lack of lockout or anything close to lockout when I want to hit the dirt jumps or BMX track.

I'll ask the question here, and explain it later if you're interested. Does PUSH machine the hole for the blowoff poppet valve any bigger? This would increase the area the pressure has to act on, making the lockout blow off sooner. Any insight would be great. Thanks!

That being said, I'm trying to figure out why the lockout is so soft. I've been messing around with several different possibilities inside the damper, and I've concluded (for now...) that it's the seal head bleed orifice or the blowoff valve or a combination of the two.

I don't think it's the seal head bleed being oversized, because I called fox to check the spec and I'm within size (they told me it should be .020", and my .020" orifice drill wouldn't fit in the hole)

I've been able to remove the blowoff circuit (basically adding a couple tiny washers under the spring to allow the blowoff adjuster knob to fully compress the spring and lock the valve closed, don't worry I won't ride it this way:thumbsup: ) and now the lockout is solid. So I started looking for a stiffer spring for the blowoff valve, and from what I've found, the one that's in it is about as stiff as it gets. So the only way I can think of to increase the blowoff resistance is to decrease the size of the hole for the poppet valve. Which leads me to my above question.

I've attached a picture of the base valve assembly in case you're interested. Thanks for reading!

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In case anyone's interested, here's my current solution. I've made a new nut and poppet for the blowoff circuit. The pieces on the left are new, with the old parts on the right. I made the diameter of the hole a little less than half the size of the original, theoretically more than quadrupling the amount of force required for blowoff to occur. Hopefully that's enough, and if it's more than enough, I'll just make the hole bigger.

This seems to work much better in "bench testing." Hopefully I'll have it in the bike later this afternoon to feel the real difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
schoolie,

As I mentioned in my email to you, we actually utilize different spring rates to control the amount of blow off force required. If you fork has too little blow off pressure, a stiffer rate spring rate would be necessary. The problem with reducing the hole size is that you'll cause the fork to be harsh at speed because you won't be able to displace the full rod volume of the cartridge quick enough.

Darren

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good point about the hole size restricting the flow. Obviously I hadn't thought that far, but when I looked at how small the new hole was, I realized that may be a problem. No big deal however. I had a project to practice machining, and I'll try it and see if it works.

Is there any chance I could purchase a set of springs in different stiffnesses? I'm having trouble finding any significantly stiffer springs. I don't know if Push deals in small sales like that. Thanks again for your helpful responses and your time.

And just in case anyone is getting the wrong idea, I'm not attempting to degrade PUSH in any way. The fork was obviously not tuned for my type of riding, and I'm simply trying to work around that. In fact, I'm pretty jealous of the setup they have and the things they know how to do with forks. I'd love have their level of expertise some day.

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
You should send them a resume, thats pretty impressive that your machining your own fork parts right now.

I'm sure Darren will get you set up with the proper setup though. He's got a reputation for doing that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.