Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Looking to get a bike while I'm visiting town. Found a Giant Reign 2. Looks like several parts have been upgraded, or changed out over the years. Basically it has a mix match of parts. Looks like it's been ridden quite a bit.

Listing is for $700. Blue book says $417-550 or so in fair-good condition. What do you all think it's worth? What is known to break on these bikes/what should I watch out for? Should I wait for something else?

I figure $400-500 isn't too unreasonable given age, mix match of parts, and that it's an older bike.

Seller's Description

2012 Giant Reign
Decent shape
Sat in garage for years
Mixed brand parts
Fox shock front and rear

Shocks rebuilt in 2018

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi all!

Looking to get a bike while I'm visiting town. Found a Giant Reign 2. Looks like several parts have been upgraded, or changed out over the years. Basically it has a mix match of parts. Looks like it's been ridden quite a bit.

Listing is for $700. Blue book says $417-550 or so in fair-good condition. What do you all think it's worth? What is known to break on these bikes/what should I watch out for? Should I wait for something else?

I figure $400-500 isn't too unreasonable given age, mix match of parts, and that it's an older bike.

Seller's Description

2012 Giant Reign
Decent shape
Sat in garage for years
Mixed brand parts
Fox shock front and rear
View attachment 1944654 View attachment 1944655 View attachment 1944656 View attachment 1944649 View attachment 1944650 View attachment 1944651 View attachment 1944652
Shocks rebuilt in 2018
Anyone??

·
MTBR Member since 2001...
330 Posts
Bike appears neglected and is filthy. Dirty is fine, but clearly this bike doesn't look like it was well cared for. Who serviced the suspension. People that store their bikes like that aren't normally the ones who service there own bikes. Do they have proof or a receipt for this service?

You can test ride the bike and see how it feels, shifts, brakes, etc. Sometimes stuff hoses off and cleans up nicely. Other times, this only exposes whats happening under all that dirt and dust. Its definitely not worth the asking price. There's a lot of people out there who have unrealistic ideas about actual bike values. I will say that the pandemic hasn't helped, but if something is beat and not taken care of, it migh be worth looking at more bikes.

Ride it. I wouldn't offer more than $400, and that would be contingent on if the suspension really had been serviced in 2018. You should expect to put a new chain and pads on it right away. If the bike was stored with the shifters under tension, the cables will have stretched. This can affect shifting and may need adjustment or replacement. Look for rust. Look at the cassette / chain rings. If severely worn, this further justifies an offer below the asking price. Check the shock and forks for leaking. Are the brakes spongy or firm?

Stand purpendicular to the bike, hold by the bar end, and squeeze the brake. Move the pedal to the 6 o'clock position and let the bike tilt slightly away from you. Now use one foot on the pedal and flex the bike slightly with your body weight. This exposes cracked frames, or issues with suspension, bushings, etc. You can do this on both sides of the bike which puts lateral force and flexes the frame both ways.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Depends how much you want it...

If you're in the market and it's within your budget, I'd be low ball'in it.

Money you save can go towards servicing/upgrades.

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
The question is really what condition is it. Do you know how to check condition, or have a bike buddy that do? That should affect the price.
Bring a brush so you can brush off dirt from the frame to see potential damage and cracks. Also ask the seller if they can hose the bike before you come. For a reign pay special attention to cracks around all the suspension mount points and the suspension links.

If you get it I would replace the big chainring with a bash guard. Small expense. Other than that, nothing really needs an upgrade for an awesome first bike. Probably needs some service, maybe price in $100 in a bike shop to replace the cables, bleed the brakes, and whatever else they see. More if you have loose spokes or need a new chain.

Don't get too hung up of dirt and dust. If the bike was indeed not used for years that's what you should expect. Especially people in dry climate are not used to washing bikes like people in mud lands. Not everyone is a bike fanatic like people on MTBR. I personally wash my bikes before I sell them, it helps them sell faster. Some of them got more brake bleeds than bike washes 😀

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
It's dirty but doesn't look horribly abused. It has seen lots of miles, those chainrings might be due for a change, which could mean other parts of drivetrain too. Thankfully looks like the stanchions and shock coatings look ok, I've seen quite a few heavily used bike where those wore through. Look out for the suspension pivots. They're listing it high, I would not pay asking for it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi everyone. Thanks for the suggestions and input. I was planning to look at the bike Saturday, but couldn’t make it work. Will be meeting up tomorrow!

It definitely looks dirty. I will bring a brush, and give it a wipe down and look for cracks especially around the suspension points and links . I’ll see if they can wash it down. That shouldn’t be asking too much.

I plan to give it a good test ride. I’m also budgeting for service for the brakes, a chain, bashguard (thanks for the suggestion), possibly shifter cables and a general tune up.

The used bike market prices are pretty crazy. It’s hard to value a bike too largely in part to the sentimental value. I’m aiming to get the bike for about $400.

I’m also planning to look at a 2011 Diamondback Mission 1. It is the lowest model of the 4, but the guy put a lot of new parts on it and the condition looks much better, granted he painted it, but still looks as thought it was well maintained.

I’m hoping to get something asap, so it’s pretty much between the two bikes, unless I spot anything else in the next 24 hours. Does anyone have any input on the 2012 Giant Reign 2 vs the 2011 Mission 1 (plus new parts)? I know both models are older but thought I would ask, whether one is better setup, a better bike overall, or had less known problems/failures over the years.

Thank you everyone! Hope to get riding!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Details on the Diamondback. He's asking 1k. Which is quite high, especially when looking at the other bikes for sale in the 1k-1,200 range. Blue book is around $400. He really wants to get rid of it, so thinking may be able to get it for around $500.

Details:

I am selling my 2011 Diamondback Mission 1. Size Medium.

This bike was my baby. She has been well loved and maintained.

Below are a list of the specs:
  • FSA Gravity 800mm wide 40mm rise bars
  • 60mm Truvativ Hussefelt stem
  • Bontrager lock on grips
  • Shimano BR-M575 hydraulic brakes
  • Shimano Brake rotors 203mm front 180mm back
  • Fox Float 32 suspension fork 150mm Travel
  • Fox Float RP23 rear shock 150mm travel
  • DB MX260D front wheel
  • Mavic MX317D rear wheel/shimano hub
  • Brand X Descend 125mm dropper post
  • Diamondback saddle pulled from another bike
  • Truvativ crank arms
  • Orgin8 Hex platform pedals.
  • RaceFace 32t front chainring
  • Brand new Box Two drivetrain. 11 speed with an 11-46t cassette.
This thing shifts so well I almost replaced the SRAM drivetrain on my other bike
  • Surly Dirt Wizard 26x2.75 front tire
  • Maxxis Ardent 26x2.4 rear tire

I also custom painted the fork and the frame from white and grey to all black during the lockdown. This bike has taken care of me for many years but now it's time to go to a new home.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I like the 1x drivetrain and the dropper on the D-back. It looks in better shape than the Giant. Maestro suspension on the Giant is probably better than the single pivot D-back. Check the geometry, bikes back then had a lot shorter reach.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
That giant is a hot mess. If they can't even wash the dirt off to sell it I don't think they did any maintenance.

The db looks better. Also has a dropper post. Potentially better drivetrain. It's components overall are at least a half step better.

Check it out. Measure the chain stretch - that can give ya an idea of drivetrain wear. Look for loose headsets / bearings / suspension pivots.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The big thing not to be overlooked is that MTB suspension can't go 10 years without service. Shocks IME will be needing an expensive damper service, not just the easy air can. Forks maybe can get by with new seals and a lower service. Supposedly the Giant has been serviced... what was serviced and by whom?

I like the 27.5 tires on the Giant over the 26er Diamondback

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Last two bikes I'm check out tonight. Any opinion on which is better and which would resell easier would be appreciated. Both for around $500. I'm not sure about the Marzocchi shock or not on the intense.

Planning to ride mostly trails and bike part once or twice a year.

2006 or 2007 Intense 6.6

2008 Giant Trance X0

Intense 6.6
I have for sale an intense 6.6 dual suspension mountain bike. It is a 6" trail /enduro style all mountain bike hand made in the USA frame that comes in a raw finish. The fork is a Marzocchi z1 sport with 6" travel. Wheels are Atomlab general issue hubs laced with straight lace spoke to Stout Sun Ringle rims MTX model 32 hole tall profile 34mm wide 6061 alloy rims. Solid through axle rear hub. With a Schwabie tires in the front and specialized control tire in the rear ( good condition). The seat is a WTB speed V chrome rail saddle, with q2 alloy seat post
It is three speeds in the front & 9 speeds in the back. Truvativ stylo cranks with Crankbrothers Candy clipless pedals, and XTR Shimano rear derailleur for shifting. It has good working avid juicy seven hydraulic disc brakes. It is a 26 inch wheeled bike - all we knew until just a few years back..
The rear shock is a fox float rp23 air shock with propedal for good bump / no bobbing when pedaling compliance.
The headset is cane creek double xc flush mounted sealed headset.

This bike was a top-of-the-line bike a decade ago. It has been sitting in the garage for a long time with life's priorities taking over. I am selling it for an absolute fraction of what it cost when it was new. It could use a tuneup, new fork oil mane, but has really good bones, and will make a rider with a budget, a growing teen, a new to the sport friend, or someone looking to refurbish upgrade their lesser 26 inch bike-Very happy. I think The frame is a medium, but it is set up with a brand new smaller e13 40mm stem, and a brand new e13 TRS 800mm riser bar. And new Santa Cruz Palmdale grips. The newer cockpit is currently sized towards being a playful set up that can do it all- up and down. If you want to climb more, you may want a slightly longer stem. Currently, It will suit a wide range of rider from 5 foot to 6 foot fairly well. Don't miss this chance to own a quality bike at a faction of the price. Get a friend into mountain biking, style a younger kid out.. whatever. New this bike was $4500 plus

2008 Giant Trance X0

2008 Giant Trance X0, medium frame Shifters: Shimano XT front/rear Front derailleur: Shimano XT Rear derailleur: Shimano XTR Cranks: Race Face Deus XC Chain: Shimano HG-73 Cassette: Shimano 9-speed 11-34 Brakes: Avid Juicy Seven (180 rotor front/160 rotor rear) Levers: Avid Juicy Seven Fork: Fox 32 F120RL Shock: Fox Float RP23 Wheels: Mavic Crossmax ST (tubeless ready) Seatpost: Race Face Deus XC Handlebar: Race Face Deus XC Riser Stem: Race Face Deus Saddle: WTB Devo Carbon w/ titanium rails 26" tire size

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.