Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Dirt Merchant
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I ended up spraining my ankle after stepping down onto a downhill angle and rolling it when I lost my line on a switchback.

Swelled up like a softball and is nice and bruised today. Obviously will refrain from riding today, but was at least able to ride back to the TH with no real issue after I did it. So the question is... How many of you have ridden "injured" and how long did you go before getting back in the saddle after said injury. If I'm at least walking with a minimal hobble by Monday I figure I'll get back at it (while understanding the risk of stepping down awkwardly again).

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,339 Posts
Rode with busted ribs, pretty much still fractured foot, and a ingrown toenail and major major hangovers. Ribs took a long time to heal 4-6weeks but the pain was manageable after 3-4 weeks.

·
Dirt Merchant
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
azdog said:
Rode with busted ribs, pretty much still fractured foot, and a ingrown toenail and major major hangovers. Ribs took a long time to heal 4-6weeks but the pain was manageable after 3-4 weeks.
Ribs and fractured foot, sure... But ingrown toe nail and hangovers! You sir, are a madman! :thumbsup:

I'm living on advil and aleve right now... So I think I'll be stoked to ride Monday. Fortunately the bike is going in for warranty brake replacement this weekend so it worked out perfectly with timing/weather/injury etc.

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,339 Posts
Yep, many times one injury gives you the needed time to heal up all those other nagging injuries that have been buggin you for awhile.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
tplace said:
So yesterday I ended up spraining my ankle after stepping down onto a downhill angle and rolling it when I lost my line on a switchback.

Swelled up like a softball and is nice and bruised today. Obviously will refrain from riding today, but was at least able to ride back to the TH with no real issue after I did it. So the question is... How many of you have ridden "injured" and how long did you go before getting back in the saddle after said injury. If I'm at least walking with a minimal hobble by Monday I figure I'll get back at it (while understanding the risk of stepping down awkwardly again).
Only time I've been off my bike for any significant time was when I ruptured my Achilles. Kind of hard to ride when you can't bend your ankle.

The one thing I've found about biking is that, no matter how sore or stiff I am when I get on. By the time I get moving, and loosening the muscles, all the pain goes away.

I have constant knee pain (I'm sure I tore something about 5 years ago, but since I'm deathly afraid of doctors, I never confirmed), but rarely if ever has it deterred me.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Rode 2 weeks after a plate to a colar bone... I was still able to take it nice and easy without being uncomfortable...
Broken leg and ankle took almost 2 months before I could even look at a bike
Busted ribs took about 2 weeks

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
i fought through sciatica - that was like pedaling with 1.5 legs. putting a food down for a getoff was silly i toppled right over. my limit is if i cant protect myself during a fall or will reinjure it during a fall, i shouldn't be on the bike. agree with others about ribs - painful, but not too much risk of further injury.

·
Registered
208 Posts
azdog said:
I think the amount of Patron, Chipotle, and Tresemme that is constantly in your system constitutes as an injury. I don't know how you do it!

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
I've ridden through everything but this torn triceps...off the bike since Dec. 5th; won't be back on until 4/1...that's four months off the bike...and prime riding time...:madman:

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have ridden with a bad sprain within a few days, skipped one ride. I found the straight up down pressure didn't bother me, but twisting to get out of the pedal was bad. try it and your body will tell you when you are ready. don't take any pain meds when riding, not even aspirin types, or your injury can't communicate it's needs properly. here's to speedy health:thumbsup:

·
Bloodied but Unbowed
1,498 Posts
Riding on a crushed spirit, bruised ego and severely banged up self-esteem, with no healing trajectory observed at this time. The injuries are ongoing and largely pre-date MTBing but are often exacerbated by it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
When I was kid working at Jack in the Box I rode my bike to work with a cast on my upper calf down to my toes. I fractured a bone in my foot. I was a know-it-all teenager, so me and my buddy cut it off after 4 weeks.

I fractured it jumping my bike over the drive way at my house. I overshot my landing by about six feet and bounced off a brick wall. :madman:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I went over the bars and landed about four feet downhill and broke my wrist. Finished my ride and went to the dr. about two days later to find out it was broken. Less than a week later i was riding my bike around with my cast on. The only real injury that continues to keep me off my bike is my WIFE! Ha Ha.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.