Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What are your major influences when buying a frame?

• Manufacturing quality?

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Dealer recommendations?

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Product reviews [online, magazines, etc.]?

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Finish [paint vs. anodization]?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Frame material?

• Made in USA?

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Ride quality [test rides, etc.]

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Warranty coverage?

• Pedal efficiency?

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Manufacturer's reputation?

Votes: 12 42.9%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Those who skibike, know..
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So what are the major influences in your frame-buying decision?

Rather than hijack some old posts, I thought this would be a better place to discuss.

·
One Gear
1,078 Posts
I have an old friend who owns a shop. I wasn't happy with my new bike and asked him what he thought was the best 5" bike around. He told me to build up an Epiphany and never look back. He was right. The pedaling efficiency, made in the USA was the icing on the cake. My neighbor bought one a few months later. All good stuff.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Personally there are a few reasons, but mostly it was my favorite out of all the test rides.

After that it's materials and paint/ano. I also do like the fact it's Made in the USA.

·
Those who skibike, know..
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Timberrr -- how did you find out where you could test ride? Was it a demo fleet at a dealer you knew about or was it a friend?

We are currently trying to compile a listing of dealers who have Ells demo fleets and we are wondering if this would be helpful to be on the website.

Teaser: website is being revamped AGAIN! This time its a real website, totally cool with rider pages...

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
I originally tested an '05 that belonged to the owner of a local shop. I gave up my yeti shortly after and purchased a frame from that shop. 3 years later I got the itch again and went out on a limb and got the Gen III. Almost got a Rogue at that time but in retro I'm glad I got another Moment.

Unfortunatly the shop I just purchased my new frame from is no longer a stocking dealer. They love ellsworth bikes but were tired of folks comming in and testing the demo fleet and then going on the internet to buy them. I think they would still be dealers if Ellsworth made the internet distributers abide by some sort of pricing structure. Doesn't TE's brother in law own one of those internet bike dealers? I have heard of a few other shops that are dropping the line due to internet pricing competition. Of course there were a couple of other reasons but the internet pricing was the main issue. Just thought I'd share.

Sorry for the rant.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
"What are your major influences when buying a frame?"

You realise that the way the poll works, you can only choose one influence, rather than all major influences, right?

I'm gonna be surprised if anyone answers "paint vs anodised" :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
When looking to purchase a new bike I read a lot of the forums and talked with people on the trails. Many of my riding friends have also been riding for 15+ years and have tried many frames so it helped to talk with them and be able to ride their bikes rather than a demo that I had to pay money for. I can't be happier with my Epiphany at this point in time after 1.5 years and several 24 hour races!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.