Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
......is going on with my tire? It is oozing out the sidewalls. This tire has less than 100 miles on it. WTF?

Set up tubeless with new Stans valve, new rim tape and new sealant but loses 10-20 lbs overnight

IMG_0880.jpg IMG_0878.jpg IMG_0879.jpg

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Non tubeless or non tubeless rdy tires with thin sidewall casings will do this. The sealant sometimes will fill these microscopic holes in, but not always. A tube holds the air usually, so the sidewalls are allowed to be light weight and porous on these type tires.

Edit: just realized your running 2bliss from spesh...hmmm.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I dunno. Never had issues like my with my spec 2bliss (including captain control)

Time to stop by the LBS

Sent from my iPhone. There may be horrible grammar and misspelling involved

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
You didn't mention whose sealant you have used. I've only used Stan's and I find that the suspended latex particles that actually fill voids in the tyre sidewalls, separate out and settle quite quickly. I find that I have to shake up the bottle well and then hold it upside down for a while with my finger on the nozzle to allow the solid particles fall to the bottom. I then fill the cup. If you don't do this you end up with only liquid (mostly water) going into the tyres and very little solid particles.

I'm riding on Specialized Purgatory Control 2Bliss and will initially have a bit of that seepage with new tyres but it stops quickly enough.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Never had bleeding like that when I ran those same tires, Id see if the LBS can swap them out for you before they come apart on the trail.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
I've seen this before...on a set of non-TR/UST Conti Trail King 29 x 2.4. In my case, air started to leak from where the bead was encased by the carcass/sidewall and it's next to impossible to seal because it's not where sealant typically hangs out, or somewhere I can make the sealant hangout. Anyway, just be careful and bring a tube on your rides in case you suffer a fast leak like I did...your sidewall rubber is also looking a bit worn.

·
West Chester, PA
4,946 Posts
Usually my spech control casing tires start to weep after some good use and the sidewalls get scuffed on rocks. That is unusual for a tire with less than 100 miles, but so is the color of whatever you put inside them. Thats not stan's is it ?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned with it. I've had both Fast Trak Controls and Ground Controls seep using Stans but not quite as badly as you are seeing, but the seepage seemed to diminish over time as the sealant built up a layer on the inside of the tire. Depending on how much sealant you added when setting them up initially adding a bit more sealant and shaking them down again may help things out a bit.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had it around 35 pounds and it drops to 15 overnight. I ran this on the rear of my full squish 29er around 28 lbs. I use Revo sealant which is the best I have tried. AS you can see in the pic I left the tire on its side. Funny thing is that it seeped on both the side down and side up sides?

Goes back to a comment I made on here some time ago where you need to buy 3 Specialized tires in order to find one good one. I have bought two of the exact same Specialized tire off the same store rack only to find that one will go on the rim by hand while the next needs three people each with a flat head screw driver in their hand. Turns out the "control" is short hand for "no quality control"

·
Registered
633 Posts
Never had issues with any of my special ed tires I had... Guess I'm lucky

Sent from my iPhone. There may be horrible grammar and misspelling involved

·
West Chester, PA
4,946 Posts
I had it around 35 pounds and it drops to 15 overnight. I ran this on the rear of my full squish 29er around 28 lbs. I use Revo sealant which is the best I have tried. AS you can see in the pic I left the tire on its side. Funny thing is that it seeped on both the side down and side up sides?

Goes back to a comment I made on here some time ago where you need to buy 3 Specialized tires in order to find one good one. I have bought two of the exact same Specialized tire off the same store rack only to find that one will go on the rim by hand while the next needs three people each with a flat head screw driver in their hand. Turns out the "control" is short hand for "no quality control"
I've never had any initial quality issues with my specialized tires. And I've been buying several new ones every spring for the past 4 years. Have they worn fast in some cases ? Yes. But no problems at all with new tires. Even the weighs have been very close to what they claim.

And is revo sealant really the best if it doesn't seal those pinholes ? As I said before, stans has kept my tires sealed even after I developed massive amounts of pinholes from scuffing the sidewalls on rocks.

The sealant in your pics doesn't look like it has any solids in it. But I don't know, I haven't touched revo sealant personally.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have a pair of Rocket Rons, Snakeskin TLR that do that, but not nearly as bad. They hold air fine for riding, then I let most of the pressure out of the tires when I get home. If I don't they just keep weeping clear fluid and the sealant needs replacing after only a few weeks, which is much faster than my other tires.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Had this happen on my wife's ground controls. She had about 200 miles. Put more sealant in and no problem now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
310 Posts
Had the same with a Purgatory. The Stan's turned a brownish color and smelled odd. Cleaned out the tire and put in a fresh load of Stan's and its been ok since. Either it was old sealer or it reacted with the tire compound are my guesses?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just wanted to follow up on this thread to give everyone an update since I am having a hard time letting this issue go.

I removed the tire from the rim to find that all 2 ounces of sealant I had injected gone. It had seeped out the side walls but never stopped the leak. Could your really expect it to stop the leaks? Is that a realistic expectation? If I shot 50,000 holes in the side of a boat could you stop the leaks?

I pulled another Captain control 2.0 out that I had laying around which had even less riding wear than the one pictured. It had 150 miles at the very most on it. I installed it on the same rim with the same sealant and soaped it down. The same thing happened. Micro air release along the side wall weave both sides 360 degrees. The tire lost 20+ pounds overnight.

Fed up I decided to look at other comparable tires from other manufacturers. I do like the Captain tread pattern so I decided on what I thought was the closest which turned out to be the Maxxis Ardent 29 X 2.25. I installed a new one on the same rim without touching the valve, rim tape and used the same sealant. Guess what. It held tight and lost only a few 2 or 3 pounds overnight. I weighed both tires and the Ardent weighs approx 1.5 ounces more and this extra wright is clearly in the sidewall.

My opine is that in the name of saving weight Spec takes it out of the sidewall. I have other Spec tires that don't have this problem. Bottom line is that some Spec side walls are thick enough to be set up tubeless and some are not. Spec needs to look into this issue.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Specialized Control casing tires seam to have a very thin sidewall that seals up initially, but over time breaks down and constant pinholes are present.

Try some Stans, but don't blame Spesh for what you are seeing. That looks like a bad mixture of whatever you are using.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts