Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
shut up and pedal
Joined
·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a very respected shock company. They have been on honda bikes for ever, and honda cars.
If they entered the fork/shock market for bikes, could anyone imagine the upset of the market as we know it?
Just a thought of "what if"
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
Oh, you mean a company like this?

2004 Husqvarna TC450

engine fuel tank capacity single cylinder, 4 stroke, DOHC, 4 valves
displacement 449 cc
bore x stroke9 7x60.76 mm
clutch hydraulic
number of gears 5
starting electric and kick start
cooling liquid
ignition digital CDI (variable timing)
carburetion Mikuni TMR 41 mm
Chain "D.I.D." 520V6-5/8"x1/4"
Frame chromoly single tube cradle with detachable aluminum subframe
front brake Brembo disc 260 mm
rear brake Brembo floating disc 220 mm
front fork 45 mm Marzocchi inverted telescopic adjustable fork
travel 11.8"
rear suspension Sachs triple-adjustable single shock absorber with progressive linkage
travel 12.6"
tires-front
tires-rear

 

·
I already rode that
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
Ridethebike said:
This is a very respected shock company. They have been on honda bikes for ever, and honda cars.
If they entered the fork/shock market for bikes, could anyone imagine the upset of the market as we know it?
Just a thought of "what if"
I forget but I think Showa did make a few mtb forks years back. Maybe I seen it in an old MBA issue
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,143 Posts
Ridethebike said:
This is a very respected shock company. They have been on honda bikes for ever, and honda cars.
If they entered the fork/shock market for bikes, could anyone imagine the upset of the market as we know it?
Just a thought of "what if"
Showa has dabbled in the mtb fork market for about a decade.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,029 Posts
They did under the Trek label back in the 90's

And nothing big ever came of it.

I don't know if it was timing, Trek, compromises made for weight/price/engineering, etc. But they were not seen as anything that was all that much different/better/worse than the others out there.

After that, have not heard much about 'em.

JmZ

Ridethebike said:
This is a very respected shock company. They have been on honda bikes for ever, and honda cars.
If they entered the fork/shock market for bikes, could anyone imagine the upset of the market as we know it?
Just a thought of "what if"
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
The key here is the dedication...

Jeep makes great jeeps, but they make peice of **** mountain bike despite all of their off-road hearitage.

The dedication of the company to the product is what really matters. If showa or kayaba was going to make mountain bike shocks and forks...it is conceivable that they could produce some stuff that would just blow us away, but if they do it half-arse and don't have the dedication, they'll end up sucking just like they have in the past.

Marzocchis been making motocross forks for years, and they make some pretty good mountain bike forks. I think that fox is really bringing something to our sport and offering a choice that is just as good as the reining champion of suspension performance, marz.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Ridethebike said:
This is a very respected shock company. They have been on honda bikes for ever, and honda cars.
If they entered the fork/shock market for bikes, could anyone imagine the upset of the market as we know it?
Just a thought of "what if"
I guess they already have, since I see a lot of old Showa DH Forks in Japan's Auction, common name here like Kowa & Tech-in

Photo below is on auction a 6" travel fork ;)

 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,220 Posts
Sachs shock?

Jm. said:
Oh, you mean a company like this?

2004 Husqvarna TC450

engine fuel tank capacity single cylinder, 4 stroke, DOHC, 4 valves
displacement 449 cc
bore x stroke9 7x60.76 mm
clutch hydraulic
number of gears 5
starting electric and kick start
cooling liquid
ignition digital CDI (variable timing)
carburetion Mikuni TMR 41 mm
Chain "D.I.D." 520V6-5/8"x1/4"
Frame chromoly single tube cradle with detachable aluminum subframe
front brake Brembo disc 260 mm
rear brake Brembo floating disc 220 mm
front fork 45 mm Marzocchi inverted telescopic adjustable fork
travel 11.8"
rear suspension Sachs triple-adjustable single shock absorber with progressive linkage
travel 12.6"
tires-front
tires-rear

I've been out of the highly technical end of motorcycling for a few years, and I haven't heard of a Sachs shock. Isn't there a connection between SRAM and Sachs? I've seen lots of brands of dirt bike shocks over the years when I was working at a cycle shop and racing--Showa, KYB, ***********, S&W, Works Performance, and even Progressive. Hey Jm, I even had one of those auto trans '76 Husky enduro models for enduro racing. Too bad that nice looking new Husky in your pic has one of those cheesy bicycle forks on it...LOL! :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
TNC said:
I've been out of the highly technical end of motorcycling for a few years, and I haven't heard of a Sachs shock. Isn't there a connection between SRAM and Sachs? I've seen lots of brands of dirt bike shocks over the years when I was working at a cycle shop and racing--Showa, KYB, ***********, S&W, Works Performance, and even Progressive. Hey Jm, I even had one of those auto trans '76 Husky enduro models for enduro racing. Too bad that nice looking new Husky in your pic has one of those cheesy bicycle forks on it...LOL! :D
i dont think it is the same sachs..., sachs was dissolved into sram when they bought it...
 

·
Tear it all out!
Joined
·
7,739 Posts

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
Joined
·
10,916 Posts
Showa never really bothers to market their own label forks in europe or north america. Instead they do the OEM production for other companies like Trek, Tioga (John Tomac raced for giant with Showa made / tioga labeled forks), Stratos, Avalanche, and others. Now the reason the trek forks didn't take off is because they were ONLY available thru trek dealers. And the tioga forks were team-only things that were never available aftermarket either. I owned the Trek DS2 and DDS3 forks. They were decent enough. The damping adjuster needed a socket tool to turn, but it actually varied the compression and rebound damping together, unlike say, Mag-20s (same time period) where the adjusters were externaly but just for the compression
damping. Also while the Mag-20 only had six clicks of adjustment in 1 revolution of the dials, the Trek forks had several turns of the adjuster possible, so a lot more variation in the damping action.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
Jm. said:
The key here is the dedication...

Jeep makes great jeeps, but they make peice of **** mountain bike despite all of their off-road hearitage...
Jeep does not make or design the "Jeep" mtbs (or radios, beer coolers, etc). the non-automotive products are made and sold by companies the license the name from Dalmier Chrysler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts
MotorCycle company getting into bikes.......

uuuuuuhhhh guys I think this already happened when Fox got into it. They have been involved with motor racing shocks for a very long time. The Twin Clicker (rear shock) was a revelation and made Kawasaki, Honda and the rest sit up and make Kayaba and Showa offer stock units that really worked well. With bikes, Fox does it very well and raised the bar with quality aluminum parts and big 32mm fork tubes. Any way I think any more competition in this market is great. I can't wait for the Sram backed RS units to come through in about a year or so. My 2c
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
What about the other obvious brand that produces both motorcycle and mountain bike stuff at top levels in both markets: Marzhocchi. That is the fork on my mountain bike and KTM dirt bike. Fox also is a major player in the off road race car market not as good but close to a company call King Shocks. At least King seams to be the biggest player in the high end off road shock market.

LititzDude said:
uuuuuuhhhh guys I think this already happened when Fox got into it. They have been involved with motor racing shocks for a very long time. The Twin Clicker (rear shock) was a revelation and made Kawasaki, Honda and the rest sit up and make Kayaba and Showa offer stock units that really worked well. With bikes, Fox does it very well and raised the bar with quality aluminum parts and big 32mm fork tubes. Any way I think any more competition in this market is great. I can't wait for the Sram backed RS units to come through in about a year or so. My 2c
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top