Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an entry level bike from the lbs to get back used to biking again after years off from dirt jumping/BMX on a 20" :madman:

I guess i need to start building a new setup. Id like to start with a frame and fork and build over the winter as I can save up more money.

Im 6'1 and about 195lbs. Anyone make a couple recommendations for a good base frame/fork to start with? Id like to stay around 500-800 dollars for the frame, and 200-300 on the fork. Ideas?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
watsgowinon said:
A used bottlerocket?
I searched for those, and it seems there on the high end of the price range i mentioned. Are they worth it?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
amish_matt said:
A different frame won't keep you from breaking derailleurs/hangers. That's the rider, not the bike.
Im not getting a new frame only to put the old components back on... Ill be building a new one from the ground up...

Was it my fault the derailleur broke? I didn't realize that it was something I could have done that broke it

·
Registered
593 Posts
I know how you can get a lightly used dirtbag for a good price pm me.. the post below me brings a good point too

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Rear derailers break on the expensive bikes as well. Just part of life in mountainbiking, just like getting a flat. Some people break em more than others.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,042 Posts
Tim F. said:
Rear derailers break on the expensive bikes as well.
Not these ones.

Attachments

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Is the bike a hardtail? If so, you could just do a single speed conversion and be done with it.

·
Delay
59 Posts
I'm on my third derailleur in less than a year. The rider has A LOT to do with how long parts last. Doesn't matter if you're riding a $500 bike or a $4000 bike. If hit a rock, lay it down the wrong way when you crash, or even land funny you can rip those puppies right off and/or bend them enough to render them worthless. Some are made from slightly more durable materials but they're all pretty fragile.

My advice, buy a extra hanger to keep in your bag and ditch the X-4. You can get year old models of the X-9 for around $60-$70 online. Slightly more durable and less plastic, not much, but better. Mine is holding on like a champ so far. Fingers crossed.

·
smartass
700 Posts
Calles said:
Im not getting a new frame only to put the old components back on... Ill be building a new one from the ground up...

Was it my fault the derailleur broke? I didn't realize that it was something I could have done that broke it
Buy a new frame, ride the **** out of it and have fun. That sounds like a great idea.

But, tag a rock hard enough with your derailleur and it doesn't matter if it's a $5000 or $500 bike, it's probably going to break.

Derailleurs are disposable. Some may be more durable than others, but not by much.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Jayem said:
Not these ones.
Yes, those ones too! Took two years , and bent 2 axles in the process. Eventually cracked at the part that the axle passes through.

Not the best shifting but hella strong.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Calles said:
I got an entry level bike from the lbs to get back used to biking again after years off from dirt jumping/BMX on a 20" :madman:

I guess i need to start building a new setup. Id like to start with a frame and fork and build over the winter as I can save up more money.

Im 6'1 and about 195lbs. Anyone make a couple recommendations for a good base frame/fork to start with? Id like to stay around 500-800 dollars for the frame, and 200-300 on the fork. Ideas?
The Sette Vexx frame with the Rockshox Vivid 4.1 looks like a great option in that price range for DH/FR.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/19.../Sette-Vexx-DH-Frame-W_Rockshox-Vivid-4.1.htm

No idea on a fork for 200-300. Any wiggle room on that price? For $399, you can get a 180mm Marzocchi 66 RC3: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK291A16-Marzocchi+66+Rc3+Fork+09.aspx

Pretty sick setup for $1,000 total. As for the derailler, I'd go for an X-7 or X-9. It's not really worth it to spend much on them, they're just too easy to break.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TwoHeadsBrewing said:
The Sette Vexx frame with the Rockshox Vivid 4.1 looks like a great option in that price range for DH/FR.

Pretty sick setup for $1,000 total. As for the derailler, I'd go for an X-7 or X-9. It's not really worth it to spend much on them, they're just too easy to break.
Thank you for your help... I wish more people could offer constructive responses like you! :thumbsup:

Would a Stumpjumper elite be able to handle any kind of jumping/minor FR stuff? Ive seen a couple for sale that seem to be good deals.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
It would work, but 120mm of travel is a little short. You might need to take it easy on the large drops, but on the upside it would be a hell of a lot lighter if you plan to pedal it uphill. Are you looking at the complete bike, or just the frame?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts