Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put in a big day of riding (maiden voyage on my Tallboy), I hit up 3 of the 4 trail parks in the area here in S. Florida, and had 38mi. on the bike when this happened! I dropped down into a ravine, and I think through the process the chain hopped over the derailleur cage. When I went to pedal at the top, it yanked the whole derailleur cage off, broke 2 spokes, bent 5 more..and the derailleur hanger was taco'd. I ended up having to carry my bike out 2 miles because the rear wheel would not even move :( Good thing the bike only weighs about 24lb.

So my brand new bike with one ride on it will be out for at least 3-4 days :(
I just hope the Cassette isn't damaged!

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Holy smokes :eekster: !

Sorry to hear. Was it one of those 'shiat happens' moment, or what?!

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I was due, I haven't had any equipment malfunctions on a couple years...I don't think it was a "$hit happens" moments, but I had to take it as such..not much I could do on the trail to fix it!

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
dubdryver said:
I put in a big day of riding (maiden voyage on my Tallboy), I hit up 3 of the 4 trail parks in the area here in S. Florida, and had 38mi. on the bike when this happened! I dropped down into a ravine, and I think through the process the chain hopped over the derailleur cage. When I went to pedal at the top, it yanked the whole derailleur cage off, broke 2 spokes, bent 5 more..and the derailleur hanger was taco'd. I ended up having to carry my bike out 2 miles because the rear wheel would not even move :( Good thing the bike only weighs about 24lb.

So my brand new bike with one ride on it will be out for at least 3-4 days :(
I just hope the Cassette isn't damaged!
A FRIENDLY FYI, if I may - a chain tool and shock pump should always be on you (or your bike). In the event of an emergency, like the one you had, you could always pump up the pressure in the shock to it's max recommended and convert the rear to a singlespeed to continue riding. Luckily you only had a couple of miles of walking. (eeewwwww) :)

That being said, sorry about your luck and glad to hear you weren't hurt! :thumbsup: Good luck with the LBS.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
That hanger looks flexy. Also a good example of why I never want I-9 proprietary spokes on any of my wheels. Any bike shop should have what you need, probably a 293 to 290mm DT Swiss Comp or Super Comp spoke.

·
West Chester, PA
4,973 Posts
ssalmons said:
Is that a short cage derailleur? Are you running a 1x setup?
No its not and no he isn't. And even if it was people need to stop spreading this myth that you can't use a short cage with a 36t cassette. It all depends on what the front gear is.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
AndrewTO said:
A FRIENDLY FYI, if I may - a chain tool and shock pump should always be on you (or your bike). In the event of an emergency, like the one you had, you could always pump up the pressure in the shock to it's max recommended and convert the rear to a singlespeed to continue riding. Luckily you only had a couple of miles of walking. (eeewwwww) :)
It sounds like he also would have needed a spoke wrench. I wouldn't have ridden that wheel out the way it was(would you?), unless I could (temporarily) correct the wheel first. If he doesn't have the spoke wrench, he is probably better off walking.

Agreed though - always good to be able to ride out.

·
Ride and Smile suckas
593 Posts
Sorry to hear. It could have been worse. you could have been riding a crappy bike for the 30+miles before the unfortunate snap!
You'll be back in no time and hopefully no further issues with the TB in 2011.
Happy riding in FL. We got 16 inches of the white stuff last night so consider yourself lucky you dont have to pull out the XC skiis to hit the trails.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
I'd bet %90 chance that your chain was set up too short. Not problem until the suspension compresses fully (causing the chainstays to lengthen on VPP bikes) while in a bigger cog...at that point the derailuer hanger is absorbing the entire load through the chain. Hanger snaps and send derailuer into the spokes....

VPP/DW bikes always need a few extra chain links to absorb chainstay growth as the suspension compresses.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
92gli said:
It sure looks like something got stuck in there. Maybe it fell out before you saw what happened.
That iS my thought too. The spring tension on the rear mech should have kept the chain in check during a g-out.......I'm thinking something got flipped up there, something similar happened to me a while ago. Sucks either way, particularly on a brand new ride! Was this at Marham?

·
Professional Crastinator
6,299 Posts
So, uh, Merry Christmas? ;)

I had the same thing back in July or so. Something went in there and my rear derailleur went from 4th cog all the way into the spokes. I tried to SS it but the chain had so many bends and kinks in it I couldn't get it to stay on any cog.

I suppose it is possible that the der. itself broke first and then went into the spokes. In any case you can see the lower cage is hooked on a spoke (OUCH!)

This picture is upside down as I was trying to untangle my chain.

4 mile walk. Nice day for it, I guess. :rolleyes:

So then - Merry Christmas!
It's good bike fixing weather up here. Stock up and save on el cheapo rear der's (and hangers!) to have on hand in an emergency. Minimize your down time.

-F

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Everything was dialed in perfectly. I ensured it was dialed in for the VPP..I have been riding Santa Cruz VPP since '05.

The R.Derailleur was a SRAM XO Med Cage. I have been running SRAM 2x10 since July with the only problem being chain drops off the front on a few occasions.

Carrying a bike pump and chain tool wouldn't have fixed that..the hanger twisted the RD around, broke 3 spokes, twisted the chain (which also has to be replaced..and its a 1091R) and rolled it back up under the chainstay.

Also..in regards to I-9 spokes..its fine to run those, just buy a few extra of each size.
The Roval wheels are brand new and also have proprietary straight pull DT Swiss Supercomp spokes. For the meantime I have to use straight-gage 2.0 to get the bike running b/c DT Swiss U.S. distributor is closed until after New Years which is the only place to get to the spokes.

Total Cost so far:
New SRAM PC-1091R $85
New SRAM XO R/D $200
DT Swiss Comp straigth $12
Labor: ???
I have a few extra hangers so I don't have to wait on those. My bike will be rideable tomorrow! :)

Still $300+ repairs..guess thats the cost to ride a $6,000 bike :(

·
Registered
349 Posts
Possibly shifted over the 36 cog and caught the chain between the spokes and back of cassette? That looks like happened, would cause the rear der it get mangled, spokes, etc...

·
You know my steez...
903 Posts
RandyBoy said:
That hanger looks flexy. Also a good example of why I never want I-9 proprietary spokes on any of my wheels. Any bike shop should have what you need, probably a 293 to 290mm DT Swiss Comp or Super Comp spoke.
If you had Industry Nine wheels, you would also have the extra spokes that come with them. I have 9 extra I-9 spokes in my garage right now. Each wheelset comes with 4 extra spokes, plus I have a "sample" spoke they sent me for free to check out a particular color. I've been luckier than the OP so far.... I haven't broken a spoke yet.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts