Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy some hydraulic disc brakes and have researched a bunch and it seems that there isn't any brake out there that is trouble free. I expect that with discs having ridden Avid mechanicals for the past 3 years. But the reviews and posts seem to make them all seem terrible.

I am thinking of buying Hope Mono Minis. I don't have a ton of money to spend. I hear the Avid (06) Juicy 7s are ok but a bit much for my wallet.

Why shouldn't I buy the mono minis? Anybody have suggestions in the $125-$175 price range?

Thanks

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Trouble free?

PuraVida said:
I am looking to buy some hydraulic disc brakes and have researched a bunch and it seems that there isn't any brake out there that is trouble free. I expect that with discs having ridden Avid mechanicals for the past 3 years. But the reviews and posts seem to make them all seem terrible.

I am thinking of buying Hope Mono Minis. I don't have a ton of money to spend. I hear the Avid (06) Juicy 7s are ok but a bit much for my wallet.

Why shouldn't I buy the mono minis? Anybody have suggestions in the $125-$175 price range?

Thanks
Everyone will have trouble with something, take reviews w/ a grain of salt.
I have a set of hayes hydros that have been issue free for many years. Replaced the occassional pads, yearly fluid, and a couple of worn hoses (w/ 5-6 years of use).

*the next guy will tell you hayes sucks.

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
Locoman said:
Everyone will have trouble with something, take reviews w/ a grain of salt.
I have a set of hayes hydros that have been issue free for many years. Replaced the occassional pads, yearly fluid, and a couple of worn hoses (w/ 5-6 years of use).

*the next guy will tell you hayes sucks.
Thats pretty well it.

I wouldve went with Magura Martas if I didnt get my XTR setup and if I had enough coin for the magura's but the hope minis were also on my list but with some ppl seeming to have issues after replacing brakepads/rotors. They moved to the "less likely to get unless a good price" place :p But I would still get them if I could.

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
People tend to post more on a part when they are experiencing problems with it. Just think of all of the riders out there that are using this "problem" part and not having any problems at all. Many times these problems have something to do with the setup. If you are not into wrenching on you bike, take it to a reputable mechanic to have you stuff installed. This way you can ride instead of fix repeated mistakes. :thumbsup:

·
MTB'er
649 Posts
When you mention "$125-$175" range, you mean ONE brake (either front or rear), right? In that case I would recommend Magura Marta: I got mine new on eBay for $290, both front & rear. Just be patient and you can find a nice offer. Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
PuraVida said:

Thanks
Check the MTBR reviews. I would tend to dismiss the ratings of those brakes having a small population of reviews though.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
PuraVida said:

Thanks
Most hydro complaints are those fixed by a proper bleed, or people that hear a pad rub and think the world is going to end.

If your price is per brake (not for a set) then I've seen Juicy 7s in the $175 range, depending on rotor size:
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/12...Avid-Juicy-7-Disc-Brake---Hydraulic-160mm.htm
All their adjustments make them sound very tempting, or you might find Juicy 5s for an even better price...

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
I love my XTs...trouble free for months. Trouble free hayes for four years.

·
whatever she says gueuze.
370 Posts
brakes

Hayes Mags are probably the most maintenance free brakes out there. Just change the pads and rebleed every couple of years. You can get '05 juicy 7's for a good price or if you're looking for Hopes, I have a set of Mono M4's for sale.

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
I have never been a fan at all of mechanical discs, but I have loved every set of hydraulics that I have had (hayes mags 5 years, magura gustavs 2 years, magura marta sl 1 year, avid juicy 7 6 months) My current stable of bikes all have magura product now. If I was looking for a budget set the louise or louise fr would be my choice. Awesome brake for a great price.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have used several sets from varous manufacturers. In all cases, there was minimal brake drag that I just got used to. Recently it was time to change from XT dual control levers, so I decided to take yet another chance on something new out. I must say that I think I have found the holy grail. If this had failed, I would have gone to BB7s.

Used in the past:
Gramecia System 8s
Hayes
Newer XT

Now featuring:
Formula Oro K18s.
I even paired them up with a set of hayes rotors that were too dorked up for the hayes, and replaced. With some slight truing, these have been, and remain drag free, strong, and with good feel at the lever. BAM!

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,437 Posts
I have had Deore hydros for well over a year - only thing I've done is replace the rear pads (10 minute job). They have never even needed bleeding, and are one fingers stoppers for XC work.

I just bought another set for my project bike off ebay.

·
silly person
629 Posts
Shimano have definately got their disc brakes nailed. They've been pretty bulletproof since the old 525 systems imo.

Juicy's are great and have an awesome lever feel, however the polygon rotors can shudder and squeal (pretty common problem too and fixed by Clean Sweep or other rotors).

Hayes can be good, but they're on half of all bikes sold because they're cheap, not because they're awesome. Their quality seems lower than most other hydros. A common problem with Hayes is lever creep. As you use them the lever moves closer to the bar.

Magura I don't know much about.

Hope occasionally have noise problems but are a very nice system. I don't have much experience with them though.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
yep...Magura Louise FR best brakes I ever owned (ie, Magura Louise FR, Magura Marta SL, Avid Mechs, XTR, Hayes Mag HD, Hayes Nine, Hope Mono Mini). having said that, the rest have been fine too.

·
Music & Bikes
1,626 Posts
Minis are light & powerful. Best brakes I ever had.
Go for it !

You have the choice of ordering two piece ( floating ) disks or one piece. More expensive but lighter & high temp. proof.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
fokof said:
Minis are light & powerful. Best brakes I ever had.
Go for it !

You have the choice of ordering two piece ( floating ) disks or one piece. More expensive but lighter & high temp. proof.
i too really like Hope Minis. I have em on 2 of my bikes. I have had problems with the standard 1 piece rotors in terms of squealing but that could be coincidence for sure but nevertheless, i would get the 2 piece anyway.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts