Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all -

I'm in the process of building up my first set of wheels. I think I've decided on:

Sun (Rhyno-Lite) rims
Shimano XT Hubs
DT Swiss spokes/nipples

I've done some research but still am a bit confused.

1. What hole count should I get on my rims (32 or 36)? I'm 6' tall and weigh 205 lb. I ride mostly XC (with a lot of climbing) but tend to pound my wheels on the downhill sections. I don't drop/jump much (probably 2-3' max).

2. What is the difference between Shimano XT M760 and M765 hubs?

3. Anone have spoke/nipple recommendations?

I'm trying to make these things lite-weight for the uphills and durable for the downhills.

Thanks a bunch -

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
1. if you are concerned about strength of your wheels and the extra.. whatever 4 spokes weigh doesn't bother you, why not go 36?

2. 765 is disc, 760 is not.

3. DT Competition with alloy nips. Use spoke prep or linseed oil on the threads. I assume those rims are eyeleted?

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
eyeleted means there are grommets (or eyelets) in the spoke holes, reinforces the hole, and provides a smooth edge - on rims without them I always debur the holes as Al nips can be sensitive to scoring. Those rims have eyelets, most do.

width of hubs is determined by your frame/fork. All forks that I know of with QR dropouts are 100, most frames are 135 but there are exceptions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.