Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Done got me a 09 Reign for Xmas. It has 2.35 Nevegals and tubes fitted to its sexy Shimano XT Tubeless hoops. Tyres seem to hook up nicely but weigh a ton with the tubes. Would like to use the tubeless feature of the wheels and drop some rotating weight whilst having a tyre for All mountain "extreme XC" riding.Trails I ride are always dry with mainly packed dirt and some rocks. My previous ride had High Rollers with tubes. 2.35 front, 2.1 rear.Suggestions have been. Nobby Nic, Ardent or Eskar. Thanks in advance

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
That Eskar in tubeless ready is a good tire for those conditions. A WTB Weirwold Race 2.5 works well in tubeless setup and is about 730g...it's probably closer to a true 2.35 size. Truthfully there are so many good tire candidates right now in 26" size, that it gets darned confusing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kenda Small Block 8, available in either 1.9 or 2.1 at 780g and 888g respectively. Not one of the lightest options, but a tread pattern that works very well. It's what I run on dry tracks, as does John Tomac (sorry to sound like an advertisement, but I'm a thorough convert as are several other mates of mine).

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
I've always liked the 2.5 Weirwolf on the front - run them with Stans no problem on a Mavic rim. The Eskar looks good, but no miles on it. I ran a 2.24 Mutano on the rear with that larger WW on the front. Worked pretty good, but depends on the soil composition when dry. I also like the IRC Trailbear a lot - works everywhere, but may be a touch hard for some slippery conditions. Grip pretty damn well for a tire that doesn't seem to wear at all!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
if everything's packed down, I'd go with the small block 8's as well. super fast rolling, and lots of grip on hardpack. they get a little sketchy in loose rocks and leaves/sticks though. also, not the best in terms of braking traction, but who needs to stop anyway?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I'll vote for the Maxxis Ardent or Advantage 2.25. Nevegals are a good tire but are a PITA to convert to tubeless (porous sidewalls and the little ribs along the edge of the bead). All the Maxxis tires I've used convert with Stans easily, although they aren't UST they never leak.

I'm going with Ardent front Advantage rear on my new Tracer.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.