Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Scuffed
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what helmets you are using on the Reign. I have a Bell Influx which is an XC lid but lately I've been hitting 64.5km on the downhills and feeling a little vunerable. I'm getting a Fox Flux when they're available but wondering if that's enough or whether I should also get a full face. I don't do hard out downhill, just steep fireroads and aggressive trails. Would the Bell Balistic or Giro Remedy be any good? How about the Fox Flux. Do you think I could get by which just that.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
wear what you feel most comfortable in, but keep in mind how hot a full face will get in the summer time. I wear a giro hex and a remedy. I normally ride with the hex on my normal AM rides, but shuttle rides or DH races i'll wear the remedy.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
TK's right. Wear what feels most comfortable to you.

With that said, I wouldn't wear a FF helmet on any rides that weren't exclusively downhill. Even in cold temps, I sweat like a whore in church when wearing mine.

The new Fox helmets look nice....I've got a Giro Xen (very similar in design) that has saved my arse with the extra protection on the rear of the helmet on a particularly nasty crash.

A good compromise is the MET parachute (similar to the old Giro switchblades). Only downside is they don't sell the MET in the U.S. due to our litigation-hungry population, but you can get them on ebay or in Canada. That's why Giro stopped making the switchblade too. People used them for full on DH riding (which they're not designed for) and they'd break on impact and people would sue. Gotta love the ole U S of A!! :confused:

Cheers,
EB

·
Registered
520 Posts
ebxtreme said:
TK's right. Wear what feels most comfortable to you.

With that said, I wouldn't wear a FF helmet on any rides that weren't exclusively downhill. Even in cold temps, I sweat like a whore in church when wearing mine.

The new Fox helmets look nice....I've got a Giro Xen (very similar in design) that has saved my arse with the extra protection on the rear of the helmet on a particularly nasty crash.

A good compromise is the MET parachute (similar to the old Giro switchblades). Only downside is they don't sell the MET in the U.S. due to our litigation-hungry population, but you can get them on ebay or in Canada. That's why Giro stopped making the switchblade too. People used them for full on DH riding (which they're not designed for) and they'd break on impact and people would sue. Gotta love the ole U S of A!! :confused:

Cheers,
EB
Giro Xen for AM, Bell Bellistic for DH & DJ

G

1 - 6 of 6 Posts