Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Banshee Rune and I'm running a Cane Creek Angleset with the -1 Deg top cup, but I'm so over it!! It's just a pain in my [email protected]#. So I'm looking for a new headset and thinking of going with the Chris King inset I-5.

Just curious what everyone else is running on their AM rigs, and what they think of them?

·
74 & 29 pilot
2,271 Posts
I've got a Banshee Rune and I'm running a Cane Creek Angleset with the -1 Deg top cup, but I'm so over it!! It's just a pain in my [email protected]#. So I'm looking for a new headset and thinking of going with the Chris King inset I-5.

Just curious what everyone else is running on their AM rigs, and what they think of them?
Call Cane Creek and tell them you want to return it because it doesn't work well. I did; Told them about the popping sound on every bump and the bottom gimbel shifting. They offered to exchange it to a 110.

MTBP

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I'm using a Works Components -2deg headset in my Prophet.

Unlike the angleset, it's a set of offset headset cups rather than that gimbal things. It's silent and it works, but did require very careful installation, gotta get it lined up right...

Other bikes, Nuke Proof EC44 1.5, nice headset, Creek BMX type headset, also nice.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
King with grip-lock (bought separately) on one bike, factory POS "loose ball" on the other bike, but I have a CC 40 in the parts bin to replace this over the winter.

ETA - I like the King/bling, but just because it works. I have not had any issues with any good headset I have ran (read King, Cane Creek S series, FSA, or other sealed bearing units)

But I am of the opinion of that if it doesnt make noise, is smooth, and doesnt break (this has kept me away from Crank Brothers...) it gets an "check" in my book.

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
+1 Works Components 1 and 1.5 degree on my 2 06 Titus SuperMoto's
and their 1 degree 1 1/8 angle headset set for my Knolly Endorphin.
About $145-$155 ea with shipping from the UK.

·
74 & 29 pilot
2,271 Posts
So they just sent you a new headset, they didn't just offer a new part for the angleset?
No they didn't offer any other parts for it. They tried to pawn a 110 on me, but I already have a stock CaneCreek headset. I told them I wanted my money back and they granted my wish.

Good company and great products, but the angleset aftermarket with bottom cups outside the HT isn't flawless.

MTBP

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, I called Cane Creek and told them about my problems with the angleset and they stepped, and like MTB Pilot they offered me either a new angleset or a 110. So I took them up on their offer and took a 110, just cant take another angleset! I also so took a look at the Works headset, I like that it has no gimbals. If the 110 doesnt work out this will be the next option.

·
Registered
781 Posts
So, I called Cane Creek and told them about my problems with the angleset and they stepped, and like MTB Pilot they offered me either a new angleset or a 110. So I took them up on their offer and took a 110, just cant take another angleset! I also so took a look at the Works headset, I like that it has no gimbals. If the 110 doesnt work out this will be the next option.
I think I must be one of the few that haven't had any issues with the Angleset, but it's good to hear that Cane Creek is stepping up to the plate for people who have had problems with it. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.