Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I enjoyed reading his posts a while back. Especially his fat bike riding and the development of the Kindernay XIV hub.

I popped over to Bikerumor today and saw a new 7-speed version and it prompted me to wonder what he's been up to in the world?
@Espen W -- where are you?

·
Rippin da fAt
11,875 Posts
That they were. Espen was always doing some form of experimental thing from XXXL tires and a unique frame/fork that could use em to geared hubs and more.
Would be awesome to see more product tests and reviews.

·
will rant for food
3,961 Posts
Basically the only gear hub I would even consider at this point. The lack of interoperability -- the lacing to specific rims -- got to be a real pain in real life ownership of internally geared rear hubs.

Hope he's doin' well

·
Oslo, Norway
812 Posts
Hi folks!

Back again after an extended hiatus.
Not doing internal gear hubs anymore, but still working with bicycles, doing some consulting for a Norwegian manufacturer.

BTW, a long time ago, I recommended using ShoeGoo to extend the thread life of tires (of particular concern on my irreplaceable 2XL protos from 2015, where the side knobs on the rear tire tends to separate from the casing.
While ShoeGoo is OK for that, I have found something else that sticks better and is much more pliable.
This stuff: BT Multibond Rapid
While the brand is only available in Scandinavia, a very similar product is called Tec7 and might be available in the US now (can't remember ever seeing it on the shelves back in the day, though).
It is sort of like butyl, glue and silicone mixed together, but is much stronger than silicone and dries much faster than butyl.
Superglue (with spray activator) and the Multibond Rapid should get my vaunted tires ready for another season, need to do some work, as many hours of of riding at 0.X psi during Easter resulted some knob separation on the rear tire.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi folks!

Back again after an extended hiatus.
Not doing internal gear hubs anymore, but still working with bicycles, doing some consulting for a Norwegian manufacturer.
So what happened with Kindernay? They recently had a VII model if I'm not mistaken? Did you move on to something else and Kindernay is its own thing now?
I agree with @Drew Diller, it was the rear hub I was considering too. Rohloff is neat (and proven I suppose), but I like new different things and the swappable hub shell was pretty cool for my tinkering mind.

·
Oslo, Norway
812 Posts
So what happened with Kindernay? They recently had a VII model if I'm not mistaken? Did you move on to something else and Kindernay is its own thing now?
I agree with @Drew Diller, it was the rear hub I was considering too. Rohloff is neat (and proven I suppose), but I like new different things and the swappable hub shell was pretty cool for my tinkering mind.
Kindernay is doing well. Major interest from major OEMs due to its ability to handle high drive torque, and the inherent lower drivetrain wear vs a derailleur setup.
High torque ebikes chew up cassettes in little time. In addition, the delivery situation in the bike biz is still crazy, so bike manufacturers are searching for new alternatives to the established drivetrain manufacturers and their long delivery lead times. The new, seven speed, VII model is an even better match for ebikes.
I wanted to get back into making complete bikes again, so I'm back into that section of the bike biz, but I kept my (small) share of the stocks in Kindernay.
Currently working as a consultant on a new ebike project that features a recycleable carbon frame.
The frame is designed by a design company (Eker Design) that works with (and part owns) the Swedish hypercar maker Koeningsegg. Talented bunch, indeed!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Good to see you posting again! Bummed you’re not involved with pushing the boundaries with bigger, lighter tires anymore. Seems like fatbike tech has completely stalled out since I got into fatbikes in ‘15. It almost seems like its in a destructive cycle. No innovations means I don’t feel the need to buy anything or upgrade to a new bike. If people are like me, people aren’t buying new bikes, OEM’s then determine sales can’t support new things so they don’t innovate and come out with anything new and it perpetuates year after year.

I bought an eBike two years ago, played around with it and the novelty soon wore off. No matter how much I rode it I couldn’t get it out of my head that I was “cheating” to a degree. I sold it this summer for what I originally bought it for. That worked out nicely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts