Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do think changing out the shock is going to do to the rear travel on this Chaparral? The stock sized shock is 7.5 eye2eye with a 2 inch stroke. I'm not sure what the eye2eye measurement is on the new shock in the pic, but it has a 2.8 inch stroke. I think it might be 8.5-8.75 eye2eye---or close to it. I do know that the bike felt awesome. It felt way better than my scream in the 7 or 6 inch travel setting. Surprisingly, the monster felt like a good match on there too--considering what the bike is used for. Do you think the Chap is still getting the original 6 inches of travel?

Attachments

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Are you sure its a 2.8" stroke? That looks pretty small for that much....

Looks like a sweet bike though. :D

·
Registered
798 Posts
I believe it's the stock shock being 7.5 x2. Also not that the chap has a weak headtube to worry about, but the frame isnt intended to run more then a 7' fork. I always liked that champagne color.
I've got a chap myself. I believe our headtube angle must be pretty close as I have the 24" in the rear and sherman slider up front which slackens it quite a bit... That's the burliest chap I've seen yet...

It appears that your using some odd placment on the rocker arms as people getting 6" of travel from the factory setting will have the rocker arms in the top location on seat tube and then the first hole on rocker arms....

see pic

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
Guys, I don't know about the 05's but the stock shock on an 04 is a 7.875x2.0 not 7.5x2.25.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya, i guess it isn't mounted in the normal 6 inch mounting location. it feels like it has at least 6 inches though--if not more. bender would run a lot bigger shock on his scream as well. and to make it fit, he would have to put it in the 6 inch location.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.