Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 603 Posts

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have I been sleeping? The Turner forum once was one of the more active on this site. I just dropped in after a long hiatus and noticed very few active threads with most threads on the front page not having activity for a year or more. Is Turner still relevant in the market? All I've known of is high standards with a clique of diehard Turner fans. What's up?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Its winter and after the RFX i guess we're all satisfied. After i got mine done i rarely visit bike sites, because as it stands now.. there is no viable upgrade potential for me anymore. Nothing left to do but ride :)

·
Pipe Dreamer
5,501 Posts
most threads on the front page not having activity for a year or more.
The oldest one on the first page has only been there 3 weeks without a reply.

Are you skimming whole sub-forums now?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
The oldest one on the first page has only been there 3 weeks without a reply.

Are you skimming whole sub-forums now?
Might depend on your settings. When I scroll down I see threads that have no activity since August.

To answer the original question I think part of it comes down to the market moving and Turner not moving quickly enough to stay in front of it. It is a small company with limited resources and the rapid movement to longer/lower/slacker is not their traditional market. Their resistance to 67 HA's on XC bikes (hyperbole I know) meant the market moved past them. They also avoided carbon for too long. Intense needed a major cash infusion to catch up and Turner has not seen that level of investment.

·
Pipe Dreamer
5,501 Posts
Might depend on your settings. When I scroll down I see threads that have no activity since August.
I'm required to give him a hard time whenever possible. ;)

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
The Turner forum ain't what it used to be a few years back. I don't think it has anything to do with the bikes. I still check it every day even though I no longer own one. I had 4 and just love the bikes and the company.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Still riding my old school Flux 27.5 in the lava fields here in Hawaii. Not much new I guess to report. Wanted to get the new carbon frameset but it's priced out of my reach now.........

17022193_10154154779397714_3841160298926711842_n.jpg

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
My turner doesn't work quite so well here right now:

01fe6493892f4205f23c8a825dc4ea46a811532f13.jpg G0205365s.jpg

·
Registered
6,237 Posts

To answer the original question I think part of it comes down to the market moving and Turner not moving quickly enough to stay in front of it. It is a small company with limited resources and the rapid movement to longer/lower/slacker is not their traditional market. Their resistance to 67 HA's on XC bikes (hyperbole I know) meant the market moved past them. They also avoided carbon for too long. Intense needed a major cash infusion to catch up and Turner has not seen that level of investment.
Agree. Turner is at a crossroads. One could lead them back to splendid glory.....the other a death spiral. I like the splendid glory route.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Powder Season Here!

IMG_1886 (600x800).jpg

Lots of snow this season here in Central Oregon. Will be a while before we're able to get out and ride.

That said I'm pretty sure Dave's not sitting around with nothing to do.
The guy's always working to push his bikes forward.
Can't wait to see his next overhaul!

·
Registered
680 Posts

Well said. You can't resist change, charge the same amounts and expect same level of interest. People will eventually look to other brands that offer latest standards and new tech. Especially for ones that change bikes every 1-2 years. Different story for diehards that keep riding same rig for a decade. They might keep coming back but don't hold your breath. And compared to 5 yrs ago there is much greater competition in bike market which presents lot more options to the consumer. I ve owned 3 turners (flux, sultan, Czar )great bikes and have followed the brand but I get it that Turner fan base is slowly dissipating. I really think Turner wants to keep up but it's a tough market with a very slippery slope - one slip and company can go under quickly.

Ps make the Czar longer and w steeper seat tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
tscheezy left too. I think the competition really picked up and Turner was a bit slow to adjust. Pivot, Ibis, and a couple of newcomers really started to crank out new bikes, while well-funded bigger companies like Intense, Santa Cruz, Yeti, and others, did the same in quick succession and with several models. I do think Turner sales are down, but being my favorite company, that makes me a bit sad. Looking forward to the new Sultan...

·
roots, rocks, rhythm
820 Posts
I have really noticed that in the last 10 years the bike industry really changed.
I still think that Turner produces a great product and is still relevant.
I don't think that Turner has slowed down as much as everyone else has caught up to what was consider a boutique bike brand. Throw in other names also!

10 years a go it was unheard of to see bikes just sitting there for $7000.00 or up!
Now you see in some stores at least 2 or 3 like that.
And on top of that people or should I say riders with not a lot of experience don't even blink twice spending $4000.00 for their first bike now a days.

I would say there are a lot more players out putting out a lot of bikes, a lot more riders getting into riding, consumers flush with cash $$$ (I wish I had that problem.....) just to name a few.........

I am kind of weird.......I ride because I love to ride and I love riding a awesome, dependable, very cool bike with cool sexy parts........ that is what makes me happy.
I don't care what anyone else thinks.

There is my 2 cents.....:cool:

Reactions: ajax247

·
Premium Member
5,124 Posts
Just my two cents. There are a lot more subforums now. In the old days, the Turner forum tended to be a clearinghouse for questions that now go other places (brakes, shock and fork tuning, suspension design). As others point out, Turner also doesn't put out a new bike each week. Each bike is segmented, so you don't get the questions of which bike in an 8 model lineup separated by 10mm increments to purchase. Finally, I don't think the majority of Turner riders are looking for fad of the month, rather a good long term purchase that rides well.

New riders do show up, for example my son went from a Santa Cruz to a 5 Spot. When he outgrew the Spot, I put him on a Canfield Balance. A month later he was on a Burner. He keeps asking me when the new DHR is coming to replace his YT tues. A friend went through several frames until I built him a Burner: that was 2 years ago and he has no urge to upgrade the frame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.

1 - 20 of 603 Posts