Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many years back there was a guy (can't remember username) who posted awesome trip reports of his bike pack rafting trips. If memory serves he was located out of Eugene.

Anyway I've been interest in trying this and am considering buying an inflatable. Figured I'd start here and pose a couple of questions, why not.
Any raft recommendations, brands, etc ?
Any websites or userpages specific to these types of adventures?
Any marketplace for trading gear or buying used? (that'd be great)
Anybody tried this and have opinions/thoughts on fun factor vs pain in the ass?
Finally, has anybody floated the Lewis River from the Lower Falls down through the canyon and to the lower parking lot?

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
10,846 Posts
Many years back there was a guy (can't remember username) who posted awesome trip reports of his bike pack rafting trips. If memory serves he was located out of Eugene.

Anyway I've been interest in trying this and am considering buying an inflatable. Figured I'd start here and pose a couple of questions, why not.
Any raft recommendations, brands, etc ?
Any websites or userpages specific to these types of adventures?
Any marketplace for trading gear or buying used? (that'd be great)
Anybody tried this and have opinions/thoughts on fun factor vs pain in the ass?
Finally, has anybody floated the Lewis River from the Lower Falls down through the canyon and to the lower parking lot?

i can't help with the oregon dude but I think Mikesee does this and used to post ride/float reports in the passion forum, or whatever it is called now.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I've had this trip in the back of my mind for a while.

Start with a climb of Mt Bailey and if possible descend on skis, then down the NUT on a bike, then float the Umpqua to the Pacific. I'm sure there are a bit more logistics to it than this, and I really have not put much thought into it, but I'd love to do it some day.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I kinda feel like you’re thinking of Nate Dogg? But maybe not... he’s more of a kayaker.

Anyway, just in case, here is his blog:
Wheels & Water
I don't think it is Nate Dogg. I remember the guy Whalenard is referring too. It seems like the guy did trips from Eugene and pulled a trailer with his gear then floated home.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had this trip in the back of my mind for a while.

Start with a climb of Mt Bailey and if possible descend on skis, then down the NUT on a bike, then float the Umpqua to the Pacific. I'm sure there are a bit more logistics to it than this, and I really have not put much thought into it, but I'd love to do it some day.
That sounds pretty epic. Wonder if anybody has attempted this? Supported with a hard shell boat, or just stage it out on the way in seems very doable.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a link to one of the trips Mike posted here:
https://bikepacking.com/routes/bikerafting-alaska-lost-coast/

Here is some more info on him and his raft:
https://www.alpackaraft.com/rafting/mike-curiak/

He has some stories on his blog:
Big Wheel Building
While I've read some of Mike's stuff I've not really studied it (per say) for gear and other beta. I'm going to go back through this stuff with an keener eye toward potentially getting my feet wet. Thanks for the post, appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
I dunno—as an MTBer and a lifelong whitewater paddler, I think it looks pretty damn sketchy, LOL. Just the sight of a bike laying on a rubber raft makes me think "PUNCTURE!!!" I suppose if you aren't paddling for miles across open water and only using the raft to get across short distances of water, maybe...

Scott

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Pretty sure that's him, you're the man.

You've got it. Lef-T was the man. I used to work with him at Paul's Bicycle Way of Life 16+ years ago. He's a good dude, and highly unique. I don't know if he's active on here anymore. I hardly ever look at it anymore myself.
Cheers!

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
That sounds pretty epic. Wonder if anybody has attempted this? Supported with a hard shell boat, or just stage it out on the way in seems very doable.

I was thinking fully supported with hard shell boats. I don't know anything about the Umpqua River from the end of the NUT to the coast. Whether there is any white water or if the ocean tides affect the river flow.

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
I was thinking fully supported with hard shell boats. I don't know anything about the Umpqua River from the end of the NUT to the coast. Whether there is any white water or if the ocean tides affect the river flow.
There's one huge drop below the NUT on the North Umpqua (not runnable), then it mellows out to class 2 at worst (you could float everything). Mostly drop-pool, and the rapids tend to be long riffles and some easy chutes—nothing hardcore (though I couldn't guarantee that if you're in a little raft with a fat bike laying on it, LOL).

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,621 Posts
that guy had the best posts, I was totally thinking about him to the other day. I loved his little coffee can chimneys using spokes for a grill. He resourcefulness, bikes, kayak, camping, and trail choices made me really rethink how to approach a lot of the ways I like to ride and bikecamp.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts