Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I had been off my mountain bike for a few years (not counting a few random trips to Fantasy Island), but I recently moved to the West side of town. Today, I finally got out to Star Pass for the first time in at least two or three years (I used to ride there fairly regularly), and I found it completely changed! I am certainly not complaining, the new trails seem pretty fun, and I eventually found some of the original trail, but there are a lot more trails, turns, and options out there. I definitely felt a little disoriented and concerned about getting lost on the new trail system before I found some familiar ground.
Anyhow, it looks like the new trails offer some different types of rides with different emphasis on climbing, technical, etc. anyone out there have some recent experience with the new system and any advice for a good circuit?
Thanks!

·
Tucson, AZ
2,980 Posts
Wack said:
anyone out there have some recent experience with the new system and any advice for a good circuit?
Thanks!
Wack, check out the TucsonMTB site for more info on Starr Pass. The locals tend to gab and use that site more than the AZ MTBR forum. This SP map might help you also. If you have a GPS, I can send you my GPX network of SP , Brown Mtn, and Hidden Canyon.

The new trail system is sweet, thanks to some long hours that Tim and Mark have put into designing new trails in Pima County. There is also the newly designed Sweetwater and Paso Robles (more info on both available at TucsonMTB). Check out the site for tons or night rides, novice rides, girls-only rides, OMG endurance rides, etc...

Hope to see you out on the trail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I don't have GPS, but thanks for the offer...and the links! I'm definitely interested in checking out hose new trails... Thanks again!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Pima County has a small crew doing trail work on county lands. The first trail starts right out of the new parking lot. There are two small pieces that mostly bypass eroded climbs on the old road. Then after a four way intersection the trail heads over to the old entrance (the one that comes in under the CAP tank). The main reason for this trail was to get traffic away from the CAP tank. The Hidden Canyon trail (starts behind the Marriot) was never meant to be a bike trail but some of the better riders really like it. Then the county and the city worked together to put in the new 36th street trail head/late night party spot (they burnt a car there the weekend before last). There is new ST to do instead of the old rocky road/wash route.

Then we moved over to Sweet Water and built an entire system of trails that include some of the old two tracks but is mostly new ST. This area has become very popular even though some of the locals were disappointed that we do not build trails for speed but for sustainability.

We are now working south of Star Pass at an area known as Robles Pass. I have been posting rides over at T-MTB usually meet at 36th street at 6 am on the weekends and ride over to Robles to ride what ever is new each week and then loop around and finish up through Star Pass.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

I really appreciate your responses! I'm still getting my MTB legs back so it may be a bit before I join your outings, but they definitely sound fun and I look forwards to doing so in the near future!

·
I bike, I brew
190 Posts
Just de-flowered on Sweetwater

Hey Tim - MAJOR kudos to you and Mark (and others) who have been busting all that trail work! Wack - take a spin on Starr Pass at night on the new trail out of the parking lot, and it will blow you away (especially the views as you return to the parking lot!) - the new trails are a hands-down improvement on the Starr Pass experience. Nearly all of the core trails you'll find will come right back to you - they're all still there.

As for Sweetwater... SCHWAEET! just rode out there night before last... getting a glowing red sunset silhouetting riders at the ridge-top and saguaros... BEUtiful! The rest of the ride is just awesome...

As to the "twist and turn/sustainability" v. "speed" - these guys know what they're doing... these trails will be able to be enjoyed by our grand children, and theirs. That doesn't mean that speed can't be sustainable - it all depends on the terrain. There are a lot of hills (Sweetwater) to ride around, not to mention a lot of volcanic rock (can't move that stuff with a pry bar too easily!) and cactus... a recipe for twisty. Not every trail can be about speed (but there are a few spots, if I recall, that can bring a smile to the gravity-driven)... same have it - some don't.

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
Not to thread jack. . . but Im heading down to the Tus tonight, buddy lives on the course at Star Pass. . . Ive only ridden there twice, but wanted to ride friday nice and early, and saturday. Anyone going out? Any trail maps or resoruces? Ive only managed to find the same trail, but have seen many offshoots.

Much appreciated.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Truckee Trash said:
Not to thread jack. . . but Im heading down to the Tus tonight, buddy lives on the course at Star Pass. . . Ive only ridden there twice, but wanted to ride friday nice and early, and saturday. Anyone going out? Any trail maps or resoruces? Ive only managed to find the same trail, but have seen many offshoots.

Much appreciated.
Truckee

I was planning on riding from Star Pass over to the new Robles area do a little bit of new stuff and then loop back to Star Pass area for more. If you don't mind about 2 miles of pavement in a 20 mile loop I can be at the main lot at 6am if that is early enough for ya. I am assuming you have been to the main lot the dirt road is now signed as clearwater.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.