Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started feeling "bad" near the end of an extremely sweaty and fairly strenuous hot and humid ride, not unlike many previous summer rides.

I get back to the car and am totally overwhelmed with fatigue. I feel so profoundly week that all I can do is lay flat on my back on the pavement on the shady side of the car. After a while - 15 or 30 minutes? - I start getting this urge to poop. Eventually it becomes irrestible and I get up and into the trees and do it, messily. Not diarheea, but definitely an unscheduled event.

Soon I start feeling better. I clean myself best I can, load up the bike and drive home.

The episode lasted maybe an hour. One of the worst hours of my life.

I get home and in maybe another hour I am totally back to normal like nothing ever happened.

This has happened to me three times in the last two years. I am now afraid to mountain bike in the warm weather because these episodes are so devastating, albeit temporary (so far).

So WTF? I have been riding in hot weather for years. Not thirsty. No nausea or vomit. Don't recall feeling too hot or cold. Just too weak to stand up and the unbelieveably strong urge to poop.

Been to three docs seems the episodes are so infrequent as to be undiagnosable. Blood work, thyroid, every test is normal.

Bewildered and very unhappy,
TR

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
It's not that uncommon:

"Many physiological facts help explain why diarrhea is a concern for athletes, particularly athletes in running-type sports: "jostling" of the intestines; reduced blood flow to the intestines as the body diverts blood flow to the working muscles; changes in intestinal hormones; altered absorption; dehydration."

https://www.active.com/articles/causes-and-solutions-for-runners-intestinal-concerns

As to the fact that you were completely worn out, it happens. Especially if you happen to hit, or get very close to your max heart rate, combined with dehydration or overheating.

·
Premium Member
10,743 Posts
Move to a dry climate.

Heat and humidity combo is brutal, it's the primary reason I left the southeast.

It only gets worse as you age.

When it happened to me I was ~45, heart racing, profuse sweating, couldn't breath, thought I had heart issues. Keep in mind that at the time I was running ultramarthons, non smoker, very fit, perfect health, so I was freaked to say the least!

Full work up by a cardiologist, tells me I'm fine, just riding "too hard".

I moved back west, now I ride harder than ever, and it's no longer an issue.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Sounds like bonking with the added fun of suddenly brewing some mud.
I've bonked before but never with the latter result.
Another reason on my list of why I'm moving out of the SE for good very soon.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not that uncommon:

"Many physiological facts help explain why diarrhea is a concern for athletes, particularly athletes in running-type sports: "jostling" of the intestines; reduced blood flow to the intestines as the body diverts blood flow to the working muscles; changes in intestinal hormones; altered absorption; dehydration."

https://www.active.com/articles/causes-and-solutions-for-runners-intestinal-concerns

As to the fact that you were completely worn out, it happens. Especially if you happen to hit, or get very close to your max heart rate, combined with dehydration or overheating.
I looked into runner's trots a while back. The poo in question is not real runny like diarrhea, also the "exit" is still somewhat controlled. The poo is messy though. I guess because it is unscheduled and my body has not had enough time to absorb the normal amount of water from it.

The overwhelming fatigue symptom I have not accurately described. After the ride I am normal tired, not totally exhausted. But as the episode progresses I become too weak to stand and the poop urge starts to commence. I am lieing on the ground almost unable to move but not breathing hard or heart pounding or feeling thirsty. It "seems" pooping actually starts the recovery process.

Thanks for your response and Nurse Ben and everyone.

There is no doubt in my mind that lower humidity and/or temps would help me a ton!

TR

·
Registered
61 Posts
Check out these electrolyte caps:

SaltStick Caps - SaltStick Electrolytes & Dispensers

Summer in N. FL is a hot, humid experience and these caps have made a HUGE difference for me. Pre-hydration and pre-electrolytes coupled with mid-ride electrolyte introduction has been key for me...much more energy during and apres ride...

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
You were possessed by an anal demon. See an anal exorcist immediately. Maybe that or one of the other responses, butt I'd look into the anal exorcist thing either way.

·
Cycologist
10,338 Posts
It seems it is heat stroke or similar. And very possibly runner's trots. My *guess* is that while you are riding, your body is directing blood to your legs and overall cardio. Then when you stop, it directs blood to your bowels and that is why you suddenly feel very tired and gotta go. And the heat somehow just makes all this worse, maybe has to do with your water intake?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Premium Member
10,743 Posts
Your entire GI tract is muscle, think about what muscle do when they don't feel good: Cramping, spasms, contractility is compromised, they can become over or under active, so you get the runs or you get constipation.

Ride early and it's cool but more humid, ride late and it's hotter but drier. Pick one.

Twenty plus years in the southeast, here's what I did: watch the daily humidity levels, ride when it's at it's lowest, say a few days after a thunderstorm but before the build up to the next thunderstorm.

Consider riding at dusk or ride at night, once the sun goes down and the air starts to cool, it takes a bit before the humidity goes up, as well, the vegetation and soil is more dried out.

Seriously, I moved West, now I can ride any time, hot or cool, humidity is non existent, it's just hydration/dehydration that'll getcha. For my birthday in July I climbed Sierra Canyon, temps were in the mid nineties, ten miles each way and 5k climbing, ran out of water, and I was still fine; ate some snow ;)

I could never handle this kind of riding in 60-80% humidity, no way.

PS: There is not a supplement for this, this ain't about metabolites or insufficent salt intake, a single ride will not diminish enough of anything to cause this problem.

The only problem could be dehydration, but truthfully it's just overexertion caused by age and environmental factors.

I looked into runner's trots a while back. The poo in question is not real runny like diarrhea, also the "exit" is still somewhat controlled. The poo is messy though. I guess because it is unscheduled and my body has not had enough time to absorb the normal amount of water from it.

The overwhelming fatigue symptom I have not accurately described. After the ride I am normal tired, not totally exhausted. But as the episode progresses I become too weak to stand and the poop urge starts to commence. I am lieing on the ground almost unable to move but not breathing hard or heart pounding or feeling thirsty. It "seems" pooping actually starts the recovery process.

Thanks for your response and Nurse Ben and everyone.

There is no doubt in my mind that lower humidity and/or temps would help me a ton!

TR

·
Registered
355 Posts
Summer in N. FL is a hot, humid experience and these caps have made a HUGE difference for me. Pre-hydration and pre-electrolytes coupled with mid-ride electrolyte introduction has been key for me...much more energy during and apres ride...
Ah, yes, it's what plants crave. But seriously this! /\ /\ /\
N FL person here as well. I have learned that hydration is not something you do just before a ride or workout. It's a way of life. Always be hydrated and make sure you are up with electrolytes as well. Also, make sure you have enough and proper food fuel as well. Not just the morning of a ride, but the night before.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Ah, yes, it's what plants crave. But seriously this! /\ /\ /\
N FL person here as well. I have learned that hydration is not something you do just before a ride or workout. It's a way of life. Always be hydrated and make sure you are up with electrolytes as well. Also, make sure you have enough and proper food fuel as well. Not just the morning of a ride, but the night before.
You talking about Brawndo. The thirst mutilator! Im gonna go to the time machine and then...

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I started feeling "bad" near the end of an extremely sweaty and fairly strenuous hot and humid ride, not unlike many previous summer rides.

I get back to the car and am totally overwhelmed with fatigue. I feel so profoundly week that all I can do is lay flat on my back on the pavement on the shady side of the car. After a while - 15 or 30 minutes? - I start getting this urge to poop. Eventually it becomes irrestible and I get up and into the trees and do it, messily. Not diarheea, but definitely an unscheduled event.TR
I get that once and a while (less the urge to poop) on longer, more strenuous rides when it's 100+ and 80%+ humidity. I attribute it to dehydration. Only because every time it happens to me, I recall not gulping a bottle of water just before the ride, and/or not taking drinks along the way. I've never been much for drinking a lot (enough) of water, so I have to think about it.

As for an "unscheduled event"... usually means I had Tex-Mex with fresh jalapenos for lunch...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.