Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Grip it and rip it.
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The last clip on that vid is Bender from NWD 1, famous quote "lifes too short not to go big, gotta go big" Drops off that crazy cliff, has to be more than 40 feet and mills himself, Lovin it....... Has any other rider ever tried that drop? Why are riders going smaller now than a few years back?!.., Vanderham being an exception maybe.
I thought the sport would split into two areas like in skiing you have big mountain (big drops lot of airtime) and freestyle. Twists, 360`s off n grabs off stuff, more about the flow, not feeling the need to ski down the tallest peak at warp speed or anything (similar to where freeride is now with mtb maybe with the bikeparks, not sure if slopestyle comps are in the freeride category, personally i think these are`nt burly enough and too munufactured, boring to watch......Keep em rough around the edges please)....... What the hell happened to mtb freeride? Two or three years back if you asked me where it was heading i would of said more air, more extreme. Has`nt happened, does`nt look like it will. Anyone got any input?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ic+of+freeride

·
P-51 Crew Chief #38
603 Posts
I think Yan Karpiel said it best. "Freeriding is a dead end job". When FR became big many of the new hot stars blew their load too early. If one guy did a 30 ft drop the next guy HAD to step it up to 40-50 ft. Before long it was up to 75-100 ft just to get the shot. If you didn't go insane huge you were just the average joe freerider. Few were willing to go that huge, and the one's that were got hurt. The "it's been done" attitude hit home, and the bike industry moved on like they always do. Now you have to be super roadie to get a paycheck. Don't worry it will come full circle in 10-15 years.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
FR was taken over by AM because old, broken down riders like me and SMT couldn't get it up for real FR.:D (I hope that response was short enough for NannyOne...I mean MannyOne)

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
You bastid!

.WestCoastHucker. said:
because i bought all the rights for the word "freeride" and now i sue anyone who uses it without paying me. thus terminating the sport as we know it....
Now we all know why your wife got that law degee.:mad:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Heh, Bender's name is popping up in every thread this morning.

It's because there is stuff out there that's a lot more fun and interesting than big-dick hucking. Putting a bunch of stuff together is a really cool rush. Also, compare your 10-second huck run to literally hours of ripping time in one day at a lift-accessed park.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
exitor said:
It's because there is stuff out there that's a lot more fun and interesting than big-dick hucking. Putting a bunch of stuff together is a really cool rush. Also, compare your 10-second huck run to literally hours of ripping time in one day at a lift-accessed park.
FR became a stunt show.

As far as I can tell, mountainbikers like to do stuff. How long can you stay interested, watching sponsored riders trying to beat each other at doing the most dangerous stunt? A few hours maybe but not a whole year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.