Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Slick Rick
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember years ago they had a biking program and a nice set of trails.

Their website makes no explicit mention of it still being around...did they scrap it in favor of just running the golf course in the summer?

·
Gears, beers and slices..
316 Posts
There was an O-cup there 4 or 5 years ago - a very difficult O-cup. The trails are still there, and the trail network itself has grown since then. Still very difficult riding, though.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
norm said:
I raced the Lake to Lake North a couple of years ago at Horseshoe. I was amazed how many trails are there(and climbs). Nice place to ride.
The Lake to Lake North was very fun. I think it was 2004 I did it. I have never been so tired in my life, as i was after that race. I was still riding flat pedals at that point.

·
316 Posts
The majority is county forest (at least on the North side of Horseshoe Valley Road, where the main trail network is) - you just park and ride. I'm not sure about the trails at Horseshoe Valley Resort themselves (there are a few)...I never bother going to that side of the road (south side).

·
Slick Rick
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pizza_Royale said:
The majority is county forest (at least on the North side of Horseshoe Valley Road, where the main trail network is) - you just park and ride. I'm not sure about the trails at Horseshoe Valley Resort themselves (there are a few)...I never bother going to that side of the road (south side).
Do you know specifically where that trailhead is?

I think the trail system on the 8th line connects up to it, not sure though.

·
316 Posts
You can park at Heights of Horseshoe parking lot and just ride in, or park in Horseshoe Valley parking lot and ride across the road if you like - it's been done, though not sure if HS minds or not.. Or you can be legit, and park in the country forest parking lot on the opposite side of the forest, close to the 400. (you can see the large parking lot on Google Earth)

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
as a warning, make sure you park as far away from the golf fairway as possible. My brother has had his car dented by golf balls off course.

·
Muskoka
3,483 Posts
Pizza_Royale said:
Anyone know if there is a map of these trails? I am familiar with the xc ski trails, and I do have that map. I'm guessing there is single track in there as well. If someone happens to have a gps track of those would be great!

·
Slick Rick
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BlackCanoeDog said:
Anyone know if there is a map of these trails? I am familiar with the xc ski trails, and I do have that map. I'm guessing there is single track in there as well. If someone happens to have a gps track of those would be great!
There is no specific map of the trails, at least not anymore.

I've been the past few weeks exploring, and did around 35km without crossing familiar trails.

There are splits very frequently and finding long sections are tough especially when you always have to decide what direction to go - but there are some great views and awesome foliage, you just have to be feeling adventurous.

If someone has actually mapped the trails, or at least some main ones, well I'd like to see that as well.

·
Registered
349 Posts
They are mapped, and very accurately at that. Liability will most likely keep the maps in the Orienteering community though.

Stosh

- There have been suggestions of an Orienteering MTB event at Copeland, it is just a matter of support and interest.

·
Sir Hurt Locker
1,028 Posts
Horseshoe would be awesome for biking but Blue Mountain is so close I don't know if they could compete.

·
Muskoka
3,483 Posts
Stosh (Canada) said:
They are mapped, and very accurately at that. Liability will most likely keep the maps in the Orienteering community though.

Stosh

- There have been suggestions of an Orienteering MTB event at Copeland, it is just a matter of support and interest.
Hi Stosh! I have a Garmin 60Cx. If anyone would offer up their ride tracks/maps that would be great! Failing that, how hard is it to find the single track sections there, given that I already know the ski trails? The other option is for me to take the gps and just start exploring. It wouldn't be the first time.

btw Stosh, the Wharf to Barrens Group Ride will be Sep 14, 10am. More details to follow

·
Registered
349 Posts
BlackCanoeDog said:
Hi Stosh! I have a Garmin 60Cx. If anyone would offer up their ride tracks/maps that would be great! Failing that, how hard is it to find the single track sections there, given that I already know the ski trails? The other option is for me to take the gps and just start exploring. It wouldn't be the first time.

btw Stosh, the Wharf to Barrens Group Ride will be Sep 14, 10am. More details to follow
Thank you for the Ride date, now I can start to work on the Wife's permission.;)

(This is going to ramble, so thank my 2 year old.)

I would assume (liability?) is the reason that people have been warned away from Horseshoe (in the past) on this forum. Frankly I am surprised that no one has started warning people away again.

The Barrens (Conservation Reserve) which according to C367 - MNR Crown Land Use Policy report which says that MTB is allowed (1999) and (2006). The MNR also state that the info may not be current.

The Horseshoe area is not to my knowledge covered by the MNR as Crown Land and not mentioned that I remember in anything from the County of Simcoe. I wonder what "will" happen when someone Leons themselves?:rolleyes: It would certainly make it easier to find out who has the most responsibilities there.

Anyway I will be in touch soon.

Stosh

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.