Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I don't know the specific rules which were applicable, but I guess people see different things. I watched the finishing section twice and it looks to me like Sauser intentionally runs into the other guy and throws his head and shoulder into him to keep him from attempting a pass at the end--crashing both of them in the process. I'm assuming "blocking" would be legal, but running into a guy and throwing your shoulder at him when he is already abreast of you probably isn't.

Otherwise, there didn't seem to be anything in that youtube video other than just racing.

Was there something other than what occurred at the finish?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I dunno, I watched it over and over yesterday. It looked like Sauser was moving to the outside to block, but when they slip, it looks like they both slipped at the same time on the pavement and it wasn't intentional. I couldn't perceive that Sauser really did anything wrong...

·
fella
272 Posts
cross post from Cannondale forum: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=4641243#post4641243

Ok, here is the vid: http://www.sf.tv/sfsport/sportpanorama/index.php
There is an interview with Christoph (in German) and they show the crash during it. In slo-mo as well... Click the image next to "Studiogast: Christoph Sauser 1. Teil".
As far as I can see - it was Roel pushing Christoph, not the other way around... I'm really surprised with the decision. I hope it's not over yet and Christoph will get the title.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
sprocketjockey9 said:
I dunno, I watched it over and over yesterday. It looked like Sauser was moving to the outside to block, but when they slip, it looks like they both slipped at the same time on the pavement and it wasn't intentional. I couldn't perceive that Sauser really did anything wrong...
I have not seen the video, but if he was "blocking" at all, that may be the reason.

UCI rules are a little different for passing than in the US. most people assume you can "block", not so under UCI rules. Here is the actual UCI rule about passing.

Rule 4.1.034 - A rider must act in a sporting manner at all times and shall permit any faster rider to overtake without obstructing.

So basically you can hold your line, you have the trail in front of you, but you can't "block".

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
The Cannondale posters are so funny to read. Their hatred for spesh clouds their perception and judgement. Kinda like people who follow blindly President Bush despite the a$$clown decisions he may make.

Couple things about video:

1. German language gives me the runs. Can't stand listening too it. Sounds like they all have something stuck in their throat.
  2. Those guys are both toothpicks.
  3. I've seen worse in my local sport racing category. To take away a win, at that level, is comical. Smells fishy, like there is something going on in the backroom. Did Cannondale throw their weight into it? Do judges not like Sauser?. These guys are seasoned pros. There was no aggressive move for physical contact, just racing.

When I raced superbikes, the rule was that it is the person in backs responsibility to get around the person in front. The person in front could block and do whatever, HOWEVER the minute the person in front could see the front tire of the guy passing, they must concede the pass. From the video, it looks like Roel tried to force a pass when he should have goine to the inside. These guys were on bicycles. Seriously, if you don't like what he did (which didnt look like he did anything) then you should have been in front before the sprint. This decision pusifies the race. Hopefully the pusification doesn't turn MTBing into what happened to the NFL.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
ok, now I found the video. looks pretty non intentional just kit bars... what sauser did do right was GET BACK ON THE BIKE, and kept on racing. paullissen just kinda starts looking around... get that bike to the finish!

·
Registered
434 Posts
kevbikemad said:
ok, now I found the video. looks pretty non intentional just kit bars... what sauser did do right was GET BACK ON THE BIKE, and kept on racing. paullissen just kinda starts looking around... get that bike to the finish!
Yes, I agree. You can definately see who has more fighting spirit to win! If that was me, I would have been straight on my feet and running for the finish, bike in hand. Which reminds me, that's exactly what I did at my last race - rear mech hanger broke with 1km to go, I didn't hesitate to start running with the bike, and still held on to 3rd spot on the podium :thumbsup:

·
MTB'er
653 Posts
smithy said:
Yes, I agree. You can definately see who has more fighting spirit to win! If that was me, I would have been straight on my feet and running for the finish, bike in hand. Which reminds me, that's exactly what I did at my last race - rear mech hanger broke with 1km to go, I didn't hesitate to start running with the bike, and still held on to 3rd spot on the podium :thumbsup:
The attitude is clear: Roel is just walking around like not sure of what to do while Sauser is focused on mounting his bike and getting to the finish line. Anyway, Sauser and Specialized made an appeal to the results, let's see what happens...

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
NJ-XC-Justin said:
thanks but they removed that link. anyone got another one?

Fast forward to 2:23 for the impatient. I just tried to watch it over and over and I don't see anything fishy with Sauser's sprint. Paulissen is trying to come around on the inside (Sauser's right) where there is not enough room. Sauser's sprint was in a straight line. Paulissen chose poorly when he tried to come on the inside where there was very little room. Roel's handlebars are busted after the crash, that's why he's walking across the line with the bike instead of riding. I think Sauser's got a good case for his appeal, but what a crappy way to get the win instead of standing on the podium spraying champagne all over everyone.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.