Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
For all general purposes, not really. If you're going to jump a single dirt jump, straight out huck, handlebar width doesn't matter in the least. If you're going to jump some stairs, doesn't matter. Whenever you get into tricks that involve turning the bars, then it matters.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
dirtyharry said:
For all general purposes, not really. If you're going to jump a single dirt jump, straight out huck, handlebar width doesn't matter in the least. If you're going to jump some stairs, doesn't matter. Whenever you get into tricks that involve turning the bars, then it matters.
Wider handlebars change your leverage, they change the way your body is positioned, they change your weight distribution. Yes, handlebar width makes a huge difference.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
dirtyharry said:
does it really matter?

i see how it would change your position, but not your leverage.
Definitely changes your leverage. First of all, all it is a lever pivoting around an axle. Longer handlebar means less force exerted, but a greater distance needs to be traveled. Second, imagine doing a pullup or a pushup. Do it with a close grip, and then do it with a wide stance. Do you feel how much more difficult it is?

Yes, it most definitely matters.

Plus riding with bars that are just WAYYYY too wide is just plain uncomfortable.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Tssk, tssk, now why would you be riding on the sidewalk? Somebody could get hurt! Unless of course you're a group of roughly 60 riders going single-file into a park where bikes aren't allowed and swarming around people. In which case, you'll just have a bunch of cops in golf carts and segways chasing you.

·
Registered
308 Posts
i was at a dj comp last year and i talked to some of the pros about bar size. they said the rule of thumb iz 26' wheels = no less than 26' bars, 24' wheels= no less than 24' bars.. they said that only is a factor for tricks,something to do with the gyroscope of the wheel and handle bar. i ride atomlab g.i DJ bars exactly 26' and i like them for bar spins and x-ups.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
EVIL E said:
i was at a dj comp last year and i talked to some of the pros about bar size. they said the rule of thumb iz 26' wheels = no less than 26' bars, 24' wheels= no less than 24' bars.. they said that only is a factor for tricks,something to do with the gyroscope of the wheel and handle bar. i ride atomlab g.i DJ bars exactly 26' and i like them for bar spins and x-ups.
seems pretty logical for a rule of thumb....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.