Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my bike creaks in several spots. When I sit on it and pedal I can hear creaking sounds coming from the seatpost and the pedals. Also , I can hear this when I turn left and right. The only time I don't hear this is when I take my feet off of the pedals. I was thinking of purchasing some grease what kind should I use? Also, would WD-40 work?

·
Registered
33 Posts
ninetynine said:
I noticed that my bike creaks in several spots. When I sit on it and pedal I can hear creaking sounds coming from the seatpost and the pedals. Also , I can hear this when I turn left and right. The only time I don't hear this is when I take my feet off of the pedals. I was thinking of purchasing some grease what kind should I use? Also, would WD-40 work?
WD-40, no do not use it. This grease can be found at Home Depot or Lowe's. LubriMatic Marine Trailer Wheel Bearing Grease. If it can withstand being put in salt water on a boat trailer if will also do an excellent job on your bike. Many people have recommended this in the past, run a search if you want.

·
bonkin' clyde
831 Posts
LBS mech here

ninetynine said:
Like the previous poster, get it to an LBS, ask them to remove, check for cracks, and/or degrease and regrease, and reinstall:
The pedals, cranks, BB and headset.

I know it sounds like a lot, but if you find a good shop they'll give you a good deal and the peace of mind knowing your big stress points are taken care of (seatpost, BB, and heatset).

·
Registered
391 Posts
The WD-40 is not the cure but it can help you fine the creak. Spray it where you think the creak is. If it gets better you can do a more permenant fix. Grease, teflon paste, tighen bolts, etc.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
also check the chainring bolts, any pivot points, pedal/ shoe contact points, QRs, etc.

had a guy in the shop not too long ago that had a creak. had he just done a tune up, it would've been found quickly. instead, he paid the get multiple items pulled and greased. spent a fair amount of money...more than a tune-up would have cost.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
BB cups

The re occuring creaks on my bikes over the years have been the BB cups once a year or so and the accasional loose saddle or dry post. The marine grease above is the best I've used on the BB cups while slick honey works better on the seat post and for the loose saddle just clean the rails and clamp and tighten it up. I suggest buying the tools and supplies to do all this yourself; a crank puller BB cup remover and both types of grease will cost you less than paying the shop to take care of the BB one time and you'll learn how to fix you're bike when you can't get to the shop.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
ninetynine said:
Phil Grease has a deserved reputation, and it's hard to beat Lubriplate 130 tube attatched to a Dualco squeeze tube gun. I've used the Lubriplate for almost 40 years, and there was a time when it was advised by Campagnolo.

You should be able to get the Dualco gun and Lubriplate 10 oz tube for the same or less than a bike brand will bundle same or lesser stuff in either smaller quantity, or inferior plastic gun.

http://www.lubriplate.com/webstore/detail.aspx?ID=16 (1.75 oz available too).
http://www.thomasregister.com/olc/19704758/dupg9.htm

·
Registered
141 Posts
I did a search for the same thing and found that the marine grease in general was highly recomended. So i picked some up a few days ago (dont remember the brand off the top of my head) and plan on going over my bike's points one at a time, remove, clean, lube, replace. also checking a few bolts that are known to back out or become loose. I will be hitting them with some blue tread lock. from my research this should make for a nice quiet ride.

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts
Finish Line Teflon Grease. It is the silky-smoothiest. Combined with the Finish Line Grease Gun, you can make your Eggbeaters spin better than new! Also, if you rebuild a Shimano Hub with this grease, they are phenomenally smooth! It also works great on seatposts, stems, and headsets!

·
Registered
751 Posts
pedro's syn grease is good stuff. the only drawback for me is that the grease smells REALLY bad when you get it on your hands. like dead animal bad. it's weird, because it's a synthetic grease...

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
TrekFan said:
pedro's syn grease is good stuff. the only drawback for me is that the grease smells REALLY bad when you get it on your hands. like dead animal bad. it's weird, because it's a synthetic grease...
Check my links on Lubriplate and a Dualco gun. They're less $ than the Pedros kit with a plastic gun.

Lubriplate's marketing might not be slick or convincing, but their products are often specified for equipment that is much more expensive or demanding than any bicycle application. I became familiar with it in a family business that had machines costing hundreds of thousands of $ where their products were the spec, and long ago when I saw it in a Campagnolo service specification.

When I was a production manager in a machining and manufacturing plant the engineers used Lubriplate products for precise and demanding applications and it was also a favorite of the millwrights.

I also noticed that the engineers and millwights were very careful or specific about using proper products for the applications. My reps from the oil companies also stressed the same. As in not using high temp or high pressure lubes for simple bearings, cams and rollers and vice a versa so I have always just used the 130 series for my bikes and antique car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts