Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I need to get a stand for my new bike. It should be able to hold 25lbs no problem. I am based in the uk and have seen a few.

There is one on ebay here.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2904&item=7150657706

Its called union tool, a spin on Park Tool lol. But do you think it will do the job. There are also other makes called Veloman. Dont know if anyone has heard of them. I just dont want to buy it and have it collapse on me. And I dont have the £££ for a Park Tool stand.

Thanks

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
KleinAttitude said:
Hi I need to get a stand for my new bike. It should be able to hold 25lbs no problem. I am based in the uk and have seen a few.

There is one on ebay here.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2904&item=7150657706

Its called union tool, a spin on Park Tool lol. But do you think it will do the job. There are also other makes called Veloman. Dont know if anyone has heard of them. I just dont want to buy it and have it collapse on me. And I dont have the £££ for a Park Tool stand.

Thanks
Have you looked at ultimate stands?? They may be too expensive for your budget, but they are worth a look.

Sorry, don't know anything about that union stand.... I'm sure it would work fine:)

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
utimate stand

Ultimate stand with tripod setup is the best. I don't know union or velo stand. Park stand isn't as good as Ultimate. I answer this same question from another rider. With Ultimate stand, you can make fine adjustment to the clamp. Park stand can only allow user to make large adjustments then close the clamp. Park stand produces too much force it can crush the frame easily. The only best Park stand is pro version for mechanic which is very expensive.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
ultimate web site

KleinAttitude said:
I cant seem to find the ultimate stand here in the UK?

Do they have a website or distributor??

Thanks
this is ultimate website http://ultimatesupport.com/ You have to buy it from online retailers. Ultimate doesn't sell to brick & mortar retailers. I don't know the reason.You can choose Topeak repair stand too. Topeak is imitating Ultimate models.

web retailers: http://www.cambriabike.com/shopdisp...com/itemlist.cfm?lsubcat_id=1531&lcat_id=7607

http://shop.airbomb.com/site/intro.cfm?PageID=37&Category=372&type=T

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Ultimate Support BRS-70B Repair Stand
http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=47909
Free Shipping.
* Don't know what international will cost you.
After much looking and debating whether to build my own, I decided on the BRS70.
Stable tripod
Adjustable height
60lb load
Spin clamp
I was going to build my own but my over-engineering would have put it at close to $100 and very heavy.

·
YRTRNRSHVY
558 Posts
Lumbee1 said:
Ultimate Support BRS-70B Repair Stand
http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=47909
Free Shipping.
* Don't know what international will cost you.
After much looking and debating whether to build my own, I decided on the BRS70.
Stable tripod
Adjustable height
60lb load
Spin clamp
I was going to build my own but my over-engineering would have put it at close to $100 and very heavy.
what are the differences between the pro-elite and pro-compact stand? I thought it was just the clamp, but if you look on the ultimate page, the spec sheet for the compact stand says it is a "slide-lock mechanism" which "allows quick placement of bicycle in stand". Besides the clamp a few more inches in height, and the color, is there any other significant difference in the stands (like how sturdy it is)?

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
lemmy999 said:
what are the differences between the pro-elite and pro-compact stand? I thought it was just the clamp, but if you look on the ultimate page, the spec sheet for the compact stand says it is a "slide-lock mechanism" which "allows quick placement of bicycle in stand". Besides the clamp a few more inches in height, and the color, is there any other significant difference in the stands (like how sturdy it is)?
I checked out their new lineup at Sea Otter. They've got some good stuff going on.

The Pro-Elite uses Ultimate's new clamp head. It's truly remarkable. The clamp literally presses closed, then has a 'T' handle (different from the Consumer's 'T' handle) to finish the tightening. Releasing the bike is the press of a button -- the clamp flings open in an instant and you lower the bike to the ground. It is built on their 'Pro' tripod, which uses a heavier guage tubing than the Consumer models.

The Pro-Compact is a shorter version of the Pro stand. Brett from Ultimate explained it that they've had requests for an even more compact version of their stands for travel. This Compact version loses some working height -- I believe 8" -- in trade for an airline-friendly size. Apparantly some users have even hacked the legs down for even more space savings, but Ultimate left the legs on their Compact the same as the full-height models.

The head on the new Elite stands is really amazing -- I'd encourage anyone reading this to seek one out and play with it. I was never entirely impressed by their regular press-to-close Pro head -- in some ways preferring the spinner on my Consumer stand -- but the Elite head is a truly awe inspiring design.

·
YRTRNRSHVY
558 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
I checked out their new lineup at Sea Otter. They've got some good stuff going on.

The Pro-Elite uses Ultimate's new clamp head. It's truly remarkable. The clamp literally presses closed, then has a 'T' handle (different from the Consumer's 'T' handle) to finish the tightening. Releasing the bike is the press of a button -- the clamp flings open in an instant and you lower the bike to the ground. It is built on their 'Pro' tripod, which uses a heavier guage tubing than the Consumer models.

The Pro-Compact is a shorter version of the Pro stand. Brett from Ultimate explained it that they've had requests for an even more compact version of their stands for travel. This Compact version loses some working height -- I believe 8" -- in trade for an airline-friendly size. Apparantly some users have even hacked the legs down for even more space savings, but Ultimate left the legs on their Compact the same as the full-height models.

The head on the new Elite stands is really amazing -- I'd encourage anyone reading this to seek one out and play with it. I was never entirely impressed by their regular press-to-close Pro head -- in some ways preferring the spinner on my Consumer stand -- but the Elite head is a truly awe inspiring design.
Thanks. I was looking on their website and it lists the Pro Compact with a clamp height of 41.5" to 68". That isn't really any different than there other stands. The base diameter is 3" shorter though.

For the regular Pro (80-RT), the description page says it has 60lb capacity, but the spec sheet says 75lbs. Which is correct.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
2melow would be the guy to answer this -- he's Brett from Ultimate.

The Pro Compact has a max height something shy of 60". Compare that to 68" on my Consumer (BRS70) and the standard Pro (BRS80).

I've alwasy seen a 60# weight rating on both my Consumer and the Pro. I believe the new Elite has a higher max weight, but I don't know the numbers.

I was pretty sure he told me they wouldn't change the leg length on the Compact, but if you saw something different I'm probably mistaken.

·
2,818 Posts
Nate is right, the Pro Compact goes up to 58" actually. It's fine for most people unless you are 6'4"+...then you might want to step up to the Pro and Pro Elite stands. The Pro Elite has the same length legs as the BRS-70 and Pro/Pro Elite versions so stability has not changed. We simply took out some of the mast tube and tele-tube so it would fit in little hatchbacks, luggage, etc. better. Also, it's just 10 pounds and you can't believe how mechanics look for ways to pack under the 50 pound minimum for airline travel. Some even were hacking off 3-5" from their legs and calling me up later to buy new legs after realizing they went a little too far. So we basically took an already proven and lightweight tripod (Brs-70) - took some material off the height w/out sacrificing stability - added quick release levers - and put our proven slide-lock head from the pro stand on this "compact" and traveling sized tripod. After building 15-20 custom for mechanics after hours and nearly taking a finger off using our band saw building these for them - mechanics suggested we add something like this to the line so we did. It uses stuff we already use on other stands so we decided what the heck.

Every stand will hold the heaviest downhill bikes with no problems. I have a friend that uses a pro to hold up the front end of his Vespa scooter and two were used as engine hoists for another friends BMW 2002 if that gives you any indication....www.ultimatesupport.com has been around since 1977 building these tripod speaker stands and are the best in the industry (those musicians if there are any lurking here can vouch i'm sure.)

Hope that helps,
Brett @ Ultimate Support

·
YRTRNRSHVY
558 Posts
2melow said:
Nate is right, the Pro Compact goes up to 58" actually. It's fine for most people unless you are 6'4"+...then you might want to step up to the Pro and Pro Elite stands. The Pro Elite has the same length legs as the BRS-70 and Pro/Pro Elite versions so stability has not changed. We simply took out some of the mast tube and tele-tube so it would fit in little hatchbacks, luggage, etc. better. Also, it's just 10 pounds and you can't believe how mechanics look for ways to pack under the 50 pound minimum for airline travel. Some even were hacking off 3-5" from their legs and calling me up later to buy new legs after realizing they went a little too far. So we basically took an already proven and lightweight tripod (Brs-70) - took some material off the height w/out sacraficing stability - added quick release levers - and put our proven slide-lock head from the pro stand on this "compact" and travelling sized tripod. After building 15-20 custom for mechanics after hours and nearly taking a finger off using our band saw building these for them - mechanics suggested we add something like this to the line so we did. It uses stuff we already use on other stands so we decided what the heck.

Every stand will hold the heaviest downhill bikes with no problems. I have a friend that uses a pro to hold up the front end of his Vespa scooter and two were used as engine hoists for another friends BMW 2002 if that gives you any indication....www.ultimatesupport.com has been around since 1977 building these tripod speaker stands and are the best in the industry (those musicians if there are any lurking here can vouch i'm sure.)

Hope that helps,
Brett @ Ultimate Support
Brett, thanks for the information. All over your website the compact is listed as going to 6 feet, or 68". This is where I got that it seemed to be the same height as the other stand. Also, on your website it lists the pro-elite with a 57" base diameter, the pro with a 54" and the Pro Compact and BRS-70 with 51" base diamters. So from this info it seemed that the stand was made compact by changing the tripod and not the height.

The compact has quick releases? How do your other stands fold up? I am wanting to get a pro or pro-elite but I do not have much room right now and would need to be folding it up often. Are they more difficult to setup than the compact with the quick releases.

·
2,818 Posts
Repair Stands

lemmy999 said:
Brett, thanks for the information. All over your website the compact is listed as going to 6 feet, or 68". This is where I got that it seemed to be the same height as the other stand. Also, on your website it lists the pro-elite with a 57" base diameter, the pro with a 54" and the Pro Compact and BRS-70 with 51" base diamters. So from this info it seemed that the stand was made compact by changing the tripod and not the height.

The compact has quick releases? How do your other stands fold up? I am wanting to get a pro or pro-elite but I do not have much room right now and would need to be folding it up often. Are they more difficult to setup than the compact with the quick releases.
I'll have to get my web guy to update that...thanks for the heads up.
The Pro Elite and Pro should read 54" (same lower tripod)
The Pro Compact and BRS-70 should read 51" (same lower tripods as well w/ different mast-tube height)
Pro Compact goes from 38"-58" tall

The Pro Elite, Pro, and Pro Compact all use q/r's. The Brs-70 uses handknobs to help keep the price low and affordable. All are very easy to set up and there are no parts to get lost. Let me know if you have any further questions. Feel free to email me at brettr at ussbike dot com for faster service (i just check here a few times a week.)
Regards,

Brett @ Ultimate

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.