Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started biking trails hard last July. Doing on average 10 miles per day. Blood pressure has gone down, have lost 16 lbs. Noticed much more stamina in hiking hills while on SAR missions. Overall, I feel great. Then last Monday my 20 year old son and I tackle a local mountain resort to do some snowboarding. OK I’m an avid skier, and after a 2 hr lesson on boarding, I was able to keep up with my son on easier trails. I had a helmet on, so I felt bolder and I only fell hard a few times. Next day, I can barely move. I have never been this sore all over before, especially my leg muscles. I thought biking had my legs in good shape?:eekster:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Sarguy said:
I started biking trails hard last July. Doing on average 10 miles per day. Blood pressure has gone down, have lost 16 lbs. Noticed much more stamina in hiking hills while on SAR missions. Overall, I feel great. Then last Monday my 20 year old son and I tackle a local mountain resort to do some snowboarding. OK I'm an avid skier, and after a 2 hr lesson on boarding, I was able to keep up with my son on easier trails. I had a helmet on, so I felt bolder and I only fell hard a few times. Next day, I can barely move. I have never been this sore all over before, especially my leg muscles. I thought biking had my legs in good shape?:eekster:
Different muscles. The day after my first day snowboarding(2001) I could not get out of bed and had to skip school. How many times did you fall boarding compared to biking?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
basso4735 said:
Different muscles. The day after my first day snowboarding(2001) I could not get out of bed and had to skip school. How many times did you fall boarding compared to biking?
I didn't know there were any muscles left in my legs that the bike hadn't worked! I fell a few more times boarding in the snow than when I first started biking again. But that doesn't hurt as much as a leaf covered roots, stumps, and hard ground.

·
Blue Pig
1,553 Posts
Correct, your body is using muscles you didn't use or as much when biking. Each activity works so many different muscles we didn't know existed. Box in a swimming pool and you wont be able to wipe your ass the next day. :p

·
Registered
555 Posts
Same thing happened to my 20 year old daughter when she first went snowboarding. She was in the middle of swim season so she was in top shape. She also goes to the gym 3 times a week and jogs 4 times per week.

She couldn't get out of bed either. Finally, she managed to come downstairs by 5pm. Taking little baby steps, she walked slower than a 90 year year old man. I think it took her 3 days to fully recover. I would never expect someone so young and so fit to be in that bad of shape.

I told her to kick her boyfriend in the nuts for keeping her on the slopes for a full day. It's not like he didn't know it was her first time.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I snowboard and bike and they're definitely totally different muscles. I went biking yesterday for the first time in a couple months and I could definitely feel it - even though I've been boarding at the very least once a week..

·
Braille Riding Instructor
1,146 Posts
As others have already noted, it's all about the specific muscles you use and how you use them.

For example, say you jog every day, 30 miles a week. Go out and spend an afternoon running windsprints and you'll be plenty sore the next day. Same muscles, and similar range of motion, but you're using them in a different way and under different loads/stresses.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses. I would not have believed it, if it hadn't happened to me. I did keep biking last week even with my sore legs. Sort of into pain these days (but that's another thread). Fell one time a few days ago. I blame my weaken'd state. I feel good now though, had a great ride this afternoon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.