Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Quiet Professional
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I am planning on building a giant reign so I can get back into mountain biking. I live in the Asheville area and wondering what gears everyone is using? Should I go 1x12 with a 36 up front and 10-51t in back?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
SO I am planning on building a giant reign so I can get back into mountain biking. I live in the Asheville area and wondering what gears everyone is using? Should I go 1x12 with a 36 up front and 10-51t in back?
If you are getting back into biking that gear ratio is pretty tall. It really depends on what trails you plan on riding but I would go with a 30 or 32 (I am decently fit and run a 32) tooth front ring.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,584 Posts
One of my two mtb's is geared at a 28t chainring and 11-46. That's about where I like to be. My other is geared at 30t and 10-45 and it's just a touch taller than I'd prefer. I can ride up anything locally with that gearing when I'm fresh, but I need a little lower for when I'm tired. I'll be moving it to a 28t chainring eventually, but there aren't any HG+ compatible 28t rings available for Race Face CINCH direct mount cranks yet.

FWIW, I'm a fairly slow climber by local standards and probably a midpack descender.

If you're planning to put a 36t ring on a Reign and climb with that bike (not just ride park stuff and shuttle), you'd better be strong. And if you're planning to ride park stuff and shuttle primarily, the range of a 10-51 is a bit of a waste.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.