Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 105 setup on my Diverge (transplanted over from a Road bike, so 11/34 rear and 50/36 front)

I’ve just tried to put an SLX 11-40 rear cassette on the bike but it didn’t work. I tried with the maximum chain length I could get away with on the small/small but when I changed up to big/big the chain was too short and the rear mech got too stretched out and it would not change gear.

Was thinking about putting a Praxis Works Alba front ring on (48/32) but not sure if I will run into the same problems with the 11-40 cassette?

What are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Roadlink increases big cog clearance, but does not increase derailleur tooth capacity, which is mainly determined by rd cage length. You need to meet both requirements. That said, it's often possible to cheat by a few teeth and get away with it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
On my Ridley I run Shimano 105 50/34 up front and 11-32 on the back. Works fine with the original parts.

On my MMD I run Sram Apex RD and a 50/34 crank and 11-36 cassette. I cannot run the Big/Big combo but otherwise it works great. If I get to about the 7th cog on the cassette and I'm still in the big ring, I just shift to the front ring. I have a GX rear Mech waiting to be installed to remedy that but since it really isn't an issue, I haven;t been in a hurry.

My Cosmic stallion has an 11 speed Rival drivetrain, 50/34 up front, 11-36 on the rear and has been great on all but the steepest and loosest off road trails.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
thanks. I didn't know about the road link, looks like it will sort out my problem.
Based on your original post, it won't.:
.. I tried with the maximum chain length I could get away with on the small/small but when I changed up to big/big the chain was too short and the rear mech got too stretched out and it would not change gear...
You have a tooth capacity issue, not a clearance issue.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
thanks. I didn't know about the road link, looks like it will sort out my problem.
It's a bodge, and it won't solve your problem. You need either more chain wrap capacity or a smaller jump at the crankset. A praxis alba will give you lower gears, but won't help your chain wrap capacity problem.

I'm running a 105 50/34 with a XT 11-40 cassette and XT long cage derailleur. No road link/tampan/radr kludge, i'm using microshift barcon mtb shifters. Everything works together as if it was meant to, which it is.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
30/46 Front for me.

I have three different wheelsets for the bike.
32c road setup (wtb explorer) - 11/34
40c gravel setup (giant crosscut)- 11/36
40c mostly dirt (maxxis ravager) - 11/40

I ride in socal, so the bike sees a lot of steep climbs both on dirt and pavement.

·
Registered
479 Posts
So maybe I need a longer cage derailleur ? And a longer chain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably both, but for sure the longer derailleur, one with enough CAPACITY to handle the 43 teeth in your proposed drivetrain.

I ran an 8 spd XT rear derailluer with 105 10 spd shifters coupled with a 48/36/24 crank and 11-36 cassette. An excellent setup.

On my winter commuter I ran a 46/36 crank and 11-36 cassette with SRAM Apex drivetrain. I switched that drivetrain over to my Macho Man and it will not clear the 36 tooth cog in the rear, despite working perfectly on the bike it came off of. I suspect it might be the hanger positioning? Got a new rear derailleur (GX) and will be installing it when I install my new wheelset.

On your Shimano drivetrain, you have to select the right rear MTB derailleur to work with your road shifters. All 9 speed and lower rear derailleurs will work with Shimano 10 spd road shifters.

I wanted to go to a clutched 10 speed Shimano rear on one of my commuter bikes and had to buy a Microshift 10 speed MTB thumb shifter in order to do so, the derailleur would not work with the Dura Ace barcons I had been using.

·
Armature speller
Unit, Anthem, Stumpy, Secteur
4,583 Posts
1x11
Ultegra 11spd shifter.
Zee Shadow+ rear mech with XT long cage.
Wolftooth Tanpan to convert the road shifter pull to MTB rear mech.
Shimano 11-42 11spd cassette.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Great timing! I was just gonna make a thread with this question but can post here...

I have a 2x10 set up on my spacehorse. Rear is a 9spd shimano mtn bike derailleur (longer cage) with 11-36 tooth cassette. Front is a compact shimano tiagra 50-34.

My local gravel loops are about 2-3,000ft climbing over 20-30 miles mostly on logging roads with a few steep pitches. I did a few gravel races with good elevation on this set up last year and was pretty happy (after bumping up the rear cassette from the stock 30t). This year, I want to do a few more races and add in some more bikepacking trips. The 34:36 ratio is way better than the 30t cassette, but my local ride has climbs that I can spin up wayyy easier on my much heavier mtn bike with an 11spd 30 front 11-42 cassette. I'm a pretty fit climber, but on occasion I still want another gear to really spin up (especially with some bikepacking weight).

What are my options that would keep it somewhat cheap? I thought about the absolute black chainrings with a 46-30 but I have the older 5 bolt shimano cranks so not compatible. Is a new crankset the only way to get smaller gearing up front? I want something like a 30 front with the 36 rear. Ideally, I'd love a double with a 30 front and 11-42 cassette but also do not want to upgrade the whole drivetrain, nor would this be possible with 10spd?

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
I run Sram Force 1x with a 40t chainring and a 11-40 cassette. This combo works great for me and i never seemed to be under geared. I do live a 7000' and almost every ride goes up from there.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I run Sram Force 1x with a 40t chainring and a 11-40 cassette. This combo works great for me and i never seemed to be under geared. I do live a 7000' and almost every ride goes up from there.
Yeah, when I was 35, I said much the same thing, 20 years later, I like a lowest gear that is less than 1:1. I Run a 34/36 combo on my Cosmic Stallion and wouldn't mind something a tad lower for my offroad climbing adventures.

If I ever get my Cyclocross frame back, I have a 1x11 Rival setup waiting to install. 42T up front and 11-42 out back. It is (will be) mostly for single track and road, no super technical climbs.

·
SISSIF
529 Posts
SRAM Force 1x is a great mountain road, dirt, and single track set-up on my Diverge. 36t chainring with 511% 9-46 E13 cassette works everywhere for me, super low low and still spin it up to 40 mph with the 9 cog.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Well..I'm runnin a 3x1...yea..44-38-26 front with a single out back..alfine and front derailleur on the gravel bike. No big hills with gravel here and 3 speed is all I need.

Despite what ya might think..works real well.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Im 57....Most of the trails I ride average around 7%, with grades up above 20%. Mostly fire roads that consist of DG, although the USFS have been putting down a gravel base on some roads. I do a lot of singletrack also. The local singletrack is rocky and technical with some flowy, but loose sections.
Im sure there is a day in which Im going to need lower gears, maybe a 38t chainring or a larger cassette, but for now my current set up is perfect.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.