Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little advice needed here. I'm starting to work out the details for a SS cyclocross build. The bike will be used mostly on the blacktop and dirt roads. No CX racing. I'm currently running a 2:1 on my 26" SS mtb. But I've got to keep in shape to push that gearing where I live. It's quite hilly around here so I don't want to over gear the cx bike. It will mostly be used on my "easy", off-days bike. It will be built for durability so it'll be a bit heavy as well. Probably going with a Cross-Check and Surly hubs.

So... what gearing, or gear inches, would you suggest?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
My all around CX is geared 39:17. Rides the same terrain as my 32:18 26er and my 32:19 29er, and I can keep up reasonably well on hilly road rides with friends on their geared road bikes.

42:17 might be better in your case. I only went with 39 to begin with because I was converting a road double.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I'd use...

Miker J said:
A little advice needed here. I'm starting to work out the details for a SS cyclocross build. The bike will be used mostly on the blacktop and dirt roads. No CX racing. I'm currently running a 2:1 on my 26" SS mtb. But I've got to keep in shape to push that gearing where I live. It's quite hilly around here so I don't want to over gear the cx bike. It will mostly be used on my "easy", off-days bike. It will be built for durability so it'll be a bit heavy as well. Probably going with a Cross-Check and Surly hubs.

Thanks,

Mike
On the Guerciotti I use 34/16...some images coming up, I have to pick up Annabel from daycare. From the whiteind.com site, that's my bike...34/17.

·
Registered
354 Posts
39-16or18

Miker J said:

Thanks,

Mike
I run my cross check fixed and race it also, I run 39-18 for racing and off roading and 39-16 for ridding on the road or easy trail/dirt roads. I top out my 39-16 fixed at about 29 or 30mph and can cruise at 18-24 mph pretty easly. If you get a road double crank like a ocalink ultegra and ultegra double ocalink bb, you can just use the 39 that comes on it and take off the 53, then either get shorter bmx bolts, or a spot chain guard on the outside.
have fun, and do race it, and get the fixed free surly hub so you can try it fixed also

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.