Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride at Northstar and check out all the mags and vids out there and I have seen everything from cargo shorts and a t-shirt to full race setup with the neck brace, matching TLD and 5.10's. I run Dakine 8 track shorts and 3/4 sleeve jersey with a 661 full face and Kyle Strait knee pads (a light and comfortable setup). Just wondering what everyone wears out there? I never know if I should be fully protected from head to toe or be a bit more comfortable without all the padding.

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
I ride northstar all the time and am doing double blacks like boondocks. I wear a basic full face helmet, a t-shirt (hopefully getting a jersey or something soon), basic cargo shorts, and full length knee/shin guards. Knee guards are a must. I like riding light so I don't do anything about my upper body, but my friend took a fantastic little spill on livewire and his chest pads saved him. Just depends on your skill level and prefences.
If you go super fast and risk crashing fast I reccomend full body. If ur super clumsy I reccomend full body.
You go medium speed and are comfortable I wouldn't wear any upper body pads... Then again it all comes to what you prefer.

·
brake later, pedal sooner
813 Posts
N* rider also...giro remedy cf, oakley crowbar mx pro goggles, leatt brace, 5.10 freeriders, mcdavid ankle braces, dainese impact shorts, fox launch knee/shin, fox launch elbows/661 evo elbows... shorts, shirt...

when it gets cooler i'll probably switch over to my 661 EVO pressure suit.. but for now i feel like not getting heat exhaustion is worth the loss of shoulder/chest/back protection.. all depends who i'm riding with/what kinda pace i'm going at, if i'm pinnin i'll wear the full upper even when its hot.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ustemuf said:
N* rider also...giro remedy cf, oakley crowbar mx pro goggles, leatt brace, mcdavid ankle braces, fox launch knee/shin, fox launch elbows/661 evo elbows... shorts, shirt...

when it gets cooler i'll probably switch over to my 661 EVO pressure suit.. but for now i feel like not getting heat exhaustion is worth the loss of shoulder/chest/back protection.. all depends who i'm riding with/what kinda pace i'm going at, if i'm pinnin i'll wear the full upper even when its hot.
Right there behind you with the ankle braces. Unfortunately had the first big ankle injury of my life and I am know trying to get my ankle ready for riding. I have braces and tape and I will have to feel it out next weekend at N*. Side note: I am an experienced rider who rides fast and slow depending on the people I am riding with. I have all the gear, light and heavy and just wanted to get a feel for what other people are comfortable in and their recommendations. Cheers!

·
Locs on Spokez
1,905 Posts
TLD D2 Carbon Crow
5.10 Freeriders
661 Kyle Strait knee pads
Oakley shorts
and a coo T-shirt

·
brake later, pedal sooner
813 Posts
SentralSteve said:
Right there behind you with the ankle braces. Unfortunately had the first big ankle injury of my life and I am know trying to get my ankle ready for riding. I have braces and tape and I will have to feel it out next weekend at N*. Side note: I am an experienced rider who rides fast and slow depending on the people I am riding with. I have all the gear, light and heavy and just wanted to get a feel for what other people are comfortable in and their recommendations. Cheers!
Yup, I have all the gear from heavy to light...

Ankle braces are huge for me.. had surgery on my ankle two years ago and dont' really wanna **** it up again.

The best brace you can buy is the McDavid brace here:

http://www.mcdavidusa.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=55&DEPARTMENT_ID=298

laces and straps... i wear em on both ankles even though my left one is the gimpy one. I know for a fact the brace has saved my ankle from complete destruction when I failed a big wall ride before.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hum....

Haven't yet been to N* but this will be my kit when I head up there.

661 Comp 2 (makes me feel safe, but I might be retarded after a hard crash)
Scott 80 series somethings no sweat maybe? (need mirrored lenses so I can look extra gangsta)
5.10 Freeriders (magic)
661 Straights (my shins are mangled but I DGAF)
TLD XC shorts (padded hips)
T or my TLD Ruckus 3/4 sleeve jersey (do work son)

Maybe when I'm 40 I'll slap on some body armor, but right now I'm young, I'll bounce back.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
since i have to push up for everysingle one of my runs i wear:
5.10's high impact (low)
norco socks (yes im that cool!)
661 shin+knee (although they are now cracking from crashes)
royal racing stealth shorts
a wicking tshirt
royal racing gloves
661 evo helmet
oakly mx goggles.

once the british weather kicks in and it get wet ill use my fox upper body armour as well. (but things tend to get too hot in it)

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
Always-on basic gear:
5.10 Impacts.
Kyle Strait knee pads
Gloves (several)
Royal Race or Stealth shorts.

Then, add any of the following depending on the riding:

For trail days:
Pisspot, glasses, and a short sleeved jersey

For the rougher days (most of my riding):
Full face and goggles, long sleeved jersey

For going big and then going home afterwards:
Pressure suit
Maybe shinguards if it's going to be real nasty, but I really prefer just the KS's...

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Pay more attention to the older guys and what they're wearing. Some guys are well into their 40's and over, and still rippin . Wear the Darwin armor, even when going medium.

·
maker of trail
2,008 Posts
For lift/shuttle days where I don't have to pedal/hike to the top I wear:
- Giro remedy
- goggles/glasses
- 661 core saver
- 661 2X4 elbow/fore arm pads
- 661 4x4 knee/shin pads
- Gloves and shoes with good ankle support.

For trail riding I wear shirt/jacket (depending on season/weather) open helmet, gloves 4x4knee pads and same shoes which really need replacing lol.

Because most of the lift/shuttle trails are pretty tight steep single track, I tend to shoulder check trees a lot when threading through them at speed, so I've been seriously thinking about something with more shoulder protection than the core saver... other wise the core saver is great, don't even notice I'm wearing it and it does its job well (tested it a few times now).

·
Registered
340 Posts
For trail rides I run:
Specialized Deviant 2
TLD Knees
TLD Elbows
Fox Sergeant shorts
Marzocchi Bomber shoes (rebadged 5.10 Impacts)

For burlier stuff, I run the above stuff but add a Race Face Armour Jacket to the mix and sometimes wear a Giro Remedy (depending on how hot it is).

Been wanting to add some ankle braces into the mix as well. For you guys that run ankle braces, do they hinder your ability to pedal at all?

·
otb member
330 Posts
For N* days

Bell Drop FF
Oakley O Frames (not snazzy but do the trick)
RockGardn Flak Jacket
Jersey
Fox Gloves
TLD padded skivies
Sombrio shorts
Roach FR Knees/Shins
Soccer socks
5.10 Impact Mid

·
Registered
875 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
I wear your mom
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! CLAMF!!! (definition at urbandictionary.com)

·
Registered
159 Posts
curious as to why so many people don't like the wear the shin/knee combo and the forearm/elbow combo. i see so many people with just knee pads and a helmet. seems crazy to me. why not protect yourself?

·
otb member
330 Posts
coiler_guy said:
curious as to why so many people don't like the wear the shin/knee combo and the forearm/elbow combo. i see so many people with just knee pads and a helmet. seems crazy to me. why not protect yourself?
Chicks dig scars!

(Although since I'm married, I pad up)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts