Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Just Wanted To Know What Gear People Normally Ride At. Do You Guys Do A Lot Of Shifting Or What. Do You Guys Have A Gear That You Like Alot Better Or What. Do You Guys Stay In Low Gears Alot?

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,165 Posts
Gearing depends on terrain, climbing or decending, fatigue factor etc etc. Shifting as needs change along the way.
Or on my SS.... just pedal.

No need to capitalize every word. Just the first word in the sentence is fine.

·
No no...the OTHER LA.
342 Posts
As most have, I started out spending the vast majority of my riding on the "little" gear. I would then work in maybe the first 3-4 cogs of the rear cassette. It took several months for me to graduate out of the little gear and I began spending some time in the middle gear early this year.

Now, for the past 3-4 months I have done all my spinning in the middle gear. I am even starting to use the big gear for some flat stuff. But, 95% of my time is in the middle gear. All I have to say is that goodness for that 34T on some of the hairier climbs.

I am in Northern New Mexico. Rides consist of 10-20 miles, averaging 1000-3000+ feet of climbing.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
I shift alot...

Compared to my riding buddies I seem to shift more often than them. Most of the places I ride, I know the terrain really well, so I can shift ahead of whatever hill I know is coming along. I tend to use that knowledge of the terrain to my advantage.

This past weekend I was riding at a relatively new place where I wasn't familiar with the terrain and I ended up hitting a lot of climbs in middle ring where I would normally have shifted down into granny. Frankly I was a bit surprised at how much I could climb in the middle ring, I'm probably wimping out by dropping down more often than I should. That being said, some of those hills just about killed me, definitely pushed my heart rate way up there.

John

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey thanks for the grammer lesson wg but if you have capslock on it capitalizes every letter and then what MTBR does is just keep the first letter in every word capitalize.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
So...

d19rye said:
hey thanks for the grammer lesson wg but if you have capslock on it capitalizes every letter and then what MTBR does is just keep the first letter in every word capitalize.
... don't write in all caps. Most people (including myself) find all caps extremely obnoxios. You know, it's not too late. You can edit your post. Feel the edit button. The edit button is your friend. Use it wisely, use it in peace, use it for the good of mankind. :headphones:

I'm always shifting... like a crappy automatic trasmission. I'm surprised I have not ruined a pair of shifters yet. I like to keep a constant 85 rpm cadence, occasionally spinning up to 100 on sprints, and down to 60 on long hard non techy climbs.

I try to stay off the granny gear as much as I can help. I like the big ring and halfway down the cassette for flat cruising and techy decents. No chain slap.

·
Head First
134 Posts
When I first started riding I was shifting all over the place, but now that I've gotten stronger I tend to shift a lot less, just power up the hills. Of course some hills you just have to granny gear it, no other choice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hmm...being a noob, I've been trying to find the right gear combinations and I think I have. I am staying with the smallest front gear on the mountain, period. Hopefully I graduate out of that to the middle gear. But hey, I'll be happy to just stop hiking the bike on higher climbs...whew!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I try to stay off the smallest chainring, but if I'm beat and there's a long hill I don't hesitate to use it. For the most part I'm on the middle chainring and use the middle-small sized cogs, but if I'm feeling good I'll be in the big chainring.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Despite what the mountain bike police tell you....it's perfectly OK to use the granny gear.

The biggest thing with the newbies I've ridden with though is cross chaining. Really try to get use to how your gears work. I have a buddy that still cross chains even after several years of riding. You need to shift without even thinking about it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WOW I DIDNT REALIZE THAT TYPING IN ALL CAPS WAS THAT BIG OF A DEAL I DIDNT REALIZE THAT I WOULD GET THAT MUCH FEED BACK.

One question what is cross chain?
or all crosschain
???

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Some people like it...

BelaySlave said:
Despite what the mountain bike police tell you....it's perfectly OK to use the granny gear.

The biggest thing with the newbies I've ridden with though is cross chaining. Really try to get use to how your gears work. I have a buddy that still cross chains even after several years of riding. You need to shift without even thinking about it.
But yeah, Cross chaining does wear the drivetrain out faster. Doesn't keep me from cross chaining. I like big ring and larger cogs when going down techy downhills. It keeps the chain tight, and keeps it from slapping on the chainstay. I don't do huge miles that way.

I have a bud who loves granny gear and small cogs. He likes the 1:1 gear in there somewhere. I wouldn;t tho. Granny gear wears out really fast on my bikes, and is easy to chainsuck in mud.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Picture looking down at your gears as if you are sitting on the bike....

Your front chainring has 3 chainrings. The smallest is the closest to the center and then the middle and then large.

Your rear cog has either 8 or 9 speeds.

Your smallest chainring is only suppose to be used with the last third or so of your cog (basically starting with the largest cog and then the next two or three down). Your middle chainring is primarily used with the middle third of the cog and the largest chainring will work best with the remaining cogs.

An example of crosschaining is like when you stay in your smallest chainring and smallest cog. It will wear your drivetrain down.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Cross chain: when the chain is on the outer large front chainring and on the large inner rear cog. This causes the chain to cross more gears than neccessary. (look down on the chain).

Also when on the chain is on the inner small front chainring and on the small outer rear cog.

The chain will consume more energy and be tougher too shift with increased wear.

Most people avoid when on the outer large front chainring the three largest inner cogs on the rear.

Most people avoid when on the inner small front chainring the three smallest outer cogs on the rear.

Whew

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
I have three Simple Speed bikes; I do not shift since they have but one gear, I just pedal.
I have a geared FS bike that I do not shift since I do not ride it anymore. :eekster:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.