Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well christmas brought good news to me. So now I might be in the market to buy or build a FS 29er in the future. My question is should I buy a complete fs bike or build from the ground up and use some of my current upgrades. I like the Niner RIP 9 as a frame set and I like the new Fish Runblefish. Whats everyones opinion on a good fs bike?? Complete or just frame set. Riding style is xc with drops of 1-4 ft. 200lbs 6'2"..

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
GF 29er said:
Well christmas brought good news to me. So now I might be in the market to buy or build a FS 29er in the future. My question is should I buy a complete fs bike or build from the ground up and use some of my current upgrades. I like the Niner RIP 9 as a frame set and I like the new Fish Runblefish. Whats everyones opinion on a good fs bike?? Complete or just frame set. Riding style is xc with drops of 1-4 ft. 200lbs 6'2"..
What is your budget?

·
rider
2,356 Posts
GF 29er said:
Astrix Monk would fall squarely into to realm of riding/travel you are talking about. Super value and very sweet with an AM build. Really easy to live with elevated chainstay design. 115mm of plush Motolink rear squish. Plenty of tire clearance, I have run the WTB Kodiak's on 38mm wide KH rims w/o any clearance issues. Just be sure to use a thru bolt, bolt on or solid axle with track nuts on the rear as this frame really works much better in the rear end stiffness dept. when you get away from a q/r rear axle.

Check it out here: http://astrixsports.com/monk.html

I have no business ties to Astrix...

·
Rider down under
251 Posts
I had your problem a few months back but for me it was between the Mach 429 and RIP.
I went for the RIP in the end and I love it.
Haven't ridden the Pivot to compare it too though.
The key to any FS bike is in the rear suspension design and Niner's CVA and Pivots DW suspensions are fantastic.
I am also interested in the Tracer 29 and I think the finish on Intense bikes is second to none.
I won't buy another Intense though until they sort out their pivot bolt loosening issues.

·
Registered
919 Posts
You're within 1" and 5lb of me, and I'm extremely happy with my XL DW Sultan (I saved $700 by finding a used frame). I haven't had a chance to try the Mach 429 or RIP, but those are certainly worth considering. I'd also suggest looking at the '10 Stumpy FSR 29er, which would be hard to beat price-wise as a complete bike.

I was considering a Tracer 29, but didn't want to wait until late next Spring, and there have been problems with swingarm cracking on the Tracer 26. I also wasn't convinced that their warranty service would be comparable to Turner's.

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
Lots of good choices , however.......

I dig my DWL Sultan.....it fits me well and is FUNctionaly the shizzle ! In other words , I'm done looking at other fs 29ers unless Knolly decides to get in the 29er thing with a 5.5 " travel or so frame and RS and or Fox will finally produce a HD 29er fork of at least140 mm travel ! Then I might add another....next ! :) TIG.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think if I were building up a fs 29er I would go for the Salsa Big Mama. I think they build great stuff. I have an '06 Dos Niner that has been nothing but great to me. I am a clyde at 6'5" 265. Good luck on the search

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Price range will very I guess. If I go with just a frame set with front fork 2200. Complete bike not sure yet. I have alot of good parts that I have put on my current ride that I could transfer over. Wheels, components, braking, bars, stem. there are alot of good bikes out there and I really don't know what to get. All the lbs have either Trek/Fisher, Specialized, Cannondale, Jamis, Felt, Niner, Giant, Schwin. I would liketo see a new Titus Rockstar in person but the closest dealer is a couple hour drive away. For me picking out a bike is in how it looks, reputation of company, warranty, reviews from fellow riders...etc. All of your input is great. It has alowed me to see other bikes that I have never thought of looking into. So to you guys with your opinions I thank you!!:thumbsup: And keep them coming!!

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
GF 29er said:
Price range will very I guess. If I go with just a frame set with front fork 2200. Complete bike not sure yet. I have alot of good parts that I have put on my current ride that I could transfer over. Wheels, components, braking, bars, stem. there are alot of good bikes out there and I really don't know what to get. All the lbs have either Trek/Fisher, Specialized, Cannondale, Jamis, Felt, Niner, Giant, Schwin. I would liketo see a new Titus Rockstar in person but the closest dealer is a couple hour drive away. For me picking out a bike is in how it looks, reputation of company, warranty, reviews from fellow riders...etc. All of your input is great. It has alowed me to see other bikes that I have never thought of looking into. So to you guys with your opinions I thank you!!:thumbsup: And keep them coming!!
Check out Competive Cyclists Demo Program. They have the Turner Sultan and the Ventana El Rey and I'm sure when it comes available they will have the Intense Tracer 29.

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
Given the parameters and riding style, I'd look at the the Mach 429, the RIP 9, and the Sultan. I have a 429 and a Sultan and the 429 is definitely more XC oriented. It climbs really well, and descends pretty well. The Sultan is a good technical climber, but is not particularly fast. On the descents, the Sultan is a blast.

Have fun making a decision. There are a lot of good choices.

·
Now... harder to kill.
449 Posts
I have an El Rey that rocks. The Sultan is nice too. I'd check the mtbr Classifieds tonight if I were you. I think I saw one of each of those posted recently (I'm not the seller btw).

·
Space Ghost
962 Posts
As always, it comes down to rider preference. I know you said XC, but yo also said 1-4 ft. drops. I have an '09 RIP9 and had a TNT Sultan. The RIP is definitely a more trail oriented bike. To me that means do it all well. On true XC sections I feel a touch slow, but when the "chunk" gets turned up, the thing flat out rocks. You are going to have to decide what type of bike is going to cover the majority of your riding, and then demo them if possible. I was lucky, for me it came down to a DW Sultan and the RIP, the RIP frame, headset, and Fox fork was only $2200. At the time (and maybe still), that was less than just the frame of the Turner. I am a bike ho and am constantly looking for my next bike. Now I am only looking at changing my SS frame.

Good luck!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well after spending countless hours looking into all the differnet bike possibilities. I think I might lean towards the RIP 9. Reason being there is a lbs that sells them very close to my home and right down the road from where I ride. To me I would rather have a bike shop that deals with the bike I ride rather than having to ship it out if something where to ever happen. I would like to look closer at a Titus but there are no dealers even close. There is an Intense dealer but they are about 2 hours away. So on that note I will still look but Iam starting to favor the RIP.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.