Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a ten year old Litespeed softail that I converted to a ss about 3.5 years ago. The front fork is shot, intertal parts broken, no rebound adjustment etc. The original fork died some years ago so I tried to get a "cheap" blowout fork from Colorado Cyclist. The fork was terriable and works much like a pogo stick, plus it was way to much travel for that bike, it really messed up the steering. I am assuming an 80mm would be about right. Lightish is a good thing too. What is the best for the money? I was looking at the F serious fox, they are pretty spendy. Also there doesn't seem to be a huge weight saving on a 80 vs a 100 mm, what will work best? Thanks...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question, I will look when I get home from work. I hadn't thought about that, since the bike is probabaly 10 years old it might be a 1", is just kind of assumed was 1-1/8? I have mostly just been riding my new Ibis Mojo and didn't bother to look, I almost ordered a fork today until I saw you email, I am going to wait. Thanks for saving me!!!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Most likely 1-1/8

Truckeemtb said:
Good question, I will look when I get home from work. I hadn't thought about that, since the bike is probabaly 10 years old it might be a 1", is just kind of assumed was 1-1/8? I have mostly just been riding my new Ibis Mojo and didn't bother to look, I almost ordered a fork today until I saw you email, I am going to wait. Thanks for saving me!!!
Given, from what you say, that it's a 1996 or even 1995, it's probably 1-1/8". Most bikes on the market had switched over to 1-1/8" by 1994. Also, the measurement refers to the outside dismeter of the steer tube of the fork, in case of any confusion where you need to measure.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree an 80 would be best, there are some great deals on new Manitou Minute 2.0 for $239 new and was hoping to make that work. I recently bought an Ibis Mojo as my primary bike but still enjoy the single speed. The ideal fork is probabaly a 80mm Fox x or rlc but I don't want to spend the money so I was trying to come up with a ridable fork that's a great deal, perhaps a year or two old, new or used. What else would work for under $400

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going for ultimate fun right now and not real concerned about the weight unless I am on my road bike. I live in Lake Tahoe so it's fairly bumpy, suspension is a good thing, most other places like the Bay area a fully rigid bike would be fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.