Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone.

I'm a first-time poster on the verge of buying and building a sweet Moto-lite, thanks in part to reading a lot of your recommendations and advice -- so thanks. One crucial question, though.

I'm not quite used to to the frame sizes offered by Titus. I'm 5'9" 160 lbs.and enjoy climbing just slightly better than descending. I've always considered myself most comfortable on traditional "medium" frames. However, that corresponds to 19.25" on the ML with a small being 16.5". Each would seem to be slightly too large and slightly too small respectively. I did briefly try a 19.25" and it felt fine, but I wonder how a 16.5" would feel. It's hard to demo where I live due to the lack of ML availability.

Anyway, for those who have MLs and similar builds as myself, any advice? Wrench Science recommends a 16.5", but I have a hard time picturing myself on a "small" frame, as Titus defines it. Help!!!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Niner said:
I'm not quite used to to the frame sizes offered by Titus. I'm 5'9" 160 lbs.and enjoy climbing just slightly better than descending. I've always considered myself most comfortable on traditional "medium" frames. However, that corresponds to 19.25" on the ML with a small being 16.5". Each would seem to be slightly too large and slightly too small respectively. I did briefly try a 19.25" and it felt fine, but I wonder how a 16.5" would feel. It's hard to demo where I live due to the lack of ML availability.
Frame sizing makes a lot more sense when you go by effective top tube length. Seat tube length doesn't mean much once you raise or lower the seatpost, but the only way you can make a bike longer or shorter is with the stem length and saddle position (which are pretty limited adjustments), so top tube length is what you need to worry about. On the Moto Lite, the small is 22.75", and the medium is 23.25". I'm 5'10, and on a Hammerhead with a 23" top tube, which fits me quite well. That's not much of a gap, and you might be between sizes, in which case either one would work for you. If your trails are pretty straight and fast, the medium might be better. If you ride a lot of tight twisty trails, you might be better off on a small. Also, if you are leaning toward a medium, make sure it has enough standover height for you. If you can find out the effective top tube length of your current bike, that would be helpful too. Just be glad you are not between a medium and a large, which jumps all the way to 24.25".

·
Paper or plastic?
10,623 Posts
heatstroke said:
Ditto what VT says.
I think you should try a medium - the ML has plenty of standover height.
I'm 5'7" and I got a small with a 100mm stem, which fits me fine. At 5'9", it might feel a little cramped.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.