Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
REALLY?
2,098 Posts
Probably a 17 or 18. (you might even get away with a 16, I'm 6'1 and have gotten away with a 17.5 - my ideal size is a 19)

Goto your LBS and ride a few bikes and tell them what kind of riding you will be doing, they can match you up with the correct size and bike.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
Yeah, hit the LBS. Sounds like a large frame, but really depends on more than just your height. I am about 5'9", but I tend to ride large frames because I have longer arms and legs than average, at my height. My brother is about 6', but we ride the same size frame. Also, I only ride XC, so I don't need something smaller that is easier to throw around.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I am 5'11", 172lb (when racing), with a slightly longer torso, and I ride a 17.5" frame with a 100mm stem. Seems to fit me perfectly. I previously had a frame that was too big for me, and the difference with a correctly sized frame was dramatic. Don't ALWAYS trust the LBS. They sold me a frame that was too big for me when I was just starting out, and it took me quite a while to realize the mistake.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm 5'10" and about 155lbs. I'm a bit lanky. I ride an 18" frame (that has pretty traditional geometry).

It sounds like a 17" or 18" would work well for you. Nothing is better than actually trying out different frame sizes though.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
as other have said, height is only one piece of the puzzle. i'm 6'4 and ride a 19" (L)- i have a shorter inseam and longer arms so it's a tough fit. i found a 29er works out well in that size for me.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
I'm 6'0 roughly and I ride a large frame. I currently ride a 19 inch cross country Giant bicycle. It came with a 120mm stem, but I felt a little stretched out and installed a 105mm stem and it feels much better. Before the Jamis I rode a Large GT Zaskar or XL not sure, it was borrowed, and a 19 inch Giant Yukon. I have long arms and legs, athletic build, and 155 pounds.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
Never mind the frame size

it is much like shoe size...different between mfrs and models.

Figure out the Effective Top Tube length you need for the right cockpit: with you butt on the saddle and hands on the bars, the bike should feel like it was made just for you. That is the correct measurement to seek out and nail down, not the frame size.

Good luck, Jim (5'11", 30" inseam = long torso, ETT = 24" for me, usually a large frame, but not always)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.