Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an old-school rider from the UK, now living in the US. I've not ridden in many years, in fact front-suspension was in it's infancy back when I was tearing around Her Majesty's parks and bridlepaths.
Even elastomer forks were cutting edge back then, and out of reach for the average rider!

Now that I'm in the US, I've come back to the fold, and am the proud owner of a 2006 Stumpjumper, and I love it! What with the almost limitless variety of terrain over here, freeriding/all-mountain has definitely piqued my interest.

I've been doing some research, and have narrowed down to a few potential frames; The Santa Cruz VPFree, the Foes 2:1 FXR, and the Intense 6.6 or Uzzi VPX.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the above? I'd like to choose the bike that will be easy to learn with, endure my many newbie mistakes, and require the least fiddling/maintenance (as far as components, suspension, etc).

I'm 5'9" and weigh 150lbs.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Keir

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
What type of FR are you talking :confused: 3+ foot drops DH type trail runs nothing huge but needs to pedal up as best possible. Or going for the 5+ foot drops with 15+ foot gaps, some DH runs & mostly lift or shuttle duty. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well as I said, I'm pretty new to all of this, so I expect I'd need something that would grow with my abilities. I'd like to bomb down as well as up, as there aren't many shuttles in my neck of the woods.
I also want to get to grips with jumps and drops, so definitely something that would forgive any spills or mistakes I make.

Basically I need a do-all kinda bike! The Uzzi and the Foes look like they're coming out ahead at this point, but any input would be cool.

Cheers for the reply :thumbsup:

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
VP Free is the best one on your list that will allow you to do most anything. It pedals well has pleanty of travel. The bearings at the VPP link are under alot of loads so they do wear, that would be your major maintainence. :thumbsup:

Check out a Versus Blitz II, my weapon of choice to do everything when the going gets really rough. :drumroll:

Dont forget to take into consideration that these bikes are going to weigh 39+ pounds. :cool:

Attachments

·
etnorthcounty.com
25 Posts
Nomad

I've been riding a Nomad for about a year and love it. It weighs right at 30 lbs and pedals very efficiently (I bought the standard X9 version for $3,800 with the killer Fox 36 RLC fork and DHX air shock). You could not be disappointed with any of your choices, but I love my Nomad. If you aren't going to be doing drops, keep the 5 in. travel bikes in mind. The Santa Cruz Blur LT would be my choice if I only had one bike (I have 5). All the good frame-makers offer this: Turner, Intense, Ellseworth Epiphany. The Nomad is bomb-proof, but it is A LOT of bike. Downside, I've seen 100's of Nomads out there, and not one Foes... That Foes looks cool... would put you in some kind of elite club...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.