Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
enjoys skidding
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a complete Trail or Park in the next month or so, and I was just wondering which fork is the best option for someone that wants to learn DJ's, ride a pump track, and do a little bit of park? Do any of them offer "on the run" adjustability?

The options are:

RockShox Argyle 318 Coil
Marzocchi DJ 2
Manitou Gold Label Series 2

I noticed that none of these are Air forks. Is this common for DJ/Park bikes? (I don't know anything about them really!)

I am looking at getting the frame in the white too. From what I can tell, the Argyle and Manitou both come in white which is what I'd like.

Any help would be sweet:thumbsup:

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
I'd go gold label out of all those choices, the dirt jumper is tall and so is the argyle, which slackens out the bike and makes its handling a bit sloppier.

Air forks are a lot less common on dj/street bikes mostly because simple is better in the world of DJ bikes. The less components likely to break the better. Hence why many of us run singlespeed setups.

·
enjoys skidding
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
snaky69 said:
The less components likely to break the better. Hence why many of us run singlespeed setups.
Thanks mate.. So gold labels are the go due to it's overall length?

I intend on running the SS. I have a SS commuter at the moment and only want a simple DJ/park bike so it should be sweet.

Would you suggest swapping out the rear brake out for a BB5/7?

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
jasevr4 said:
Thanks mate.. So gold labels are the go due to it's overall length?

I intend on running the SS. I have a SS commuter at the moment and only want a simple DJ/park bike so it should be sweet.

Would you suggest swapping out the rear brake out for a BB5/7?
Gold labels a pretty light for a dj fork, have rebound adjust and are small(455mm axle to crown height in 80mm version, 475 in 100mm version, the numbers for the dj2 and the argyle for 100mm are 485mm for the dj2 and 491mm for the argyle). I hear fluid flow damping works well.

I personally run juicy 5's, but a few of my friends ride the BB5 and like them, it's up to personal choice when it comes to brakes, some even run v-brakes or even magura's HS-33.

·
enjoys skidding
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers snaky.

Also, before I comit - any other full bike builds that are around the same price as a ToP?

Just want to make sure I'm getting a good deal - it seems like a pretty unbeatable price.

·
Registered
493 Posts
so, you must be going with the 2006 T o P, because the 2007 is only in blue? I like the white/green 2006 wayyy better than 2007. Post up pics when u get it. Ya, id go with the gold label also.

·
enjoys skidding
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ontario_bike said:
so, you must be going with the 2006 T o P, because the 2007 is only in blue? I like the white/green 2006 wayyy better than 2007. Post up pics when u get it. Ya, id go with the gold label also.
Dunno man. I'm assuming it's the 2007 - it shows on their website as:

"Colors: Raw Chromoly, White, Metallic Baby Blue"

The 2007 gold label 2's come in Green and "Iridescent White".. Hopefully they are the ones that Transition are selling with their ToP's.

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
jasevr4 said:
Dunno man. I'm assuming it's the 2007 - it shows on their website as:

"Colors: Raw Chromoly, White, Metallic Baby Blue"

The 2007 gold label 2's come in Green and "Iridescent White".. Hopefully they are the ones that Transition are selling with their ToP's.
It's just a fancy name for white IMO. So long as it rides cool.

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts
No dude, the 2007 comes in 3 colors, Blue, White and a Gray-ish color. Blue is a new color for 2007

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.