Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of guys riding ss also like to ride rigid. I can't. After seven broken wrists it hurts even to ride with suspension.Just doesn't hurt enough to stop riding.Real question here is:

Is it beneficial to have more or less travel?

I'm currently running a Fox Vanilla and it has way to much travel for what I ride ( I don't like the angle). I'm on a small frame Surly 1X1. Any suggestions on what might be a good fork for this bike?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hmmmm.... Isn't your name "Pain Freak"...
Anywho, if your vanilla is too much travel then you would probably want to go with less travel. I am not sure how much travel you have now but....I have a RS Reba U-turn in the mail for my ss project, it has externally adjustable travel from 80-115mm by turning a knob up top, can't lose that way, If you know you are not looking for much travel go with a SID cause it will work and you will save weight, if you need something beefier go with a skareb maybe....But the Reba U-turn cant be a bad bet for only being 3.7lbs....

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Change your bars. Straight bars put more stain on the wrists. Bars like the Mary, Jones HBar, Midge dropbar put your wrists in a more natural position that is better for absorbing bumps. That is the reason I switched to dropbars 18 years ago. Never used suspension until 8 years ago.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i think you can also adjust the travel in your fork.... that will adjust your position.

but lowering your bars relative to your seat is just gonna put MORE presure on your hands/wrists as you'll be more leaned over (resting more of your weight on them).

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
when i broke the fork on my ss, i was looking at a manitou black super, but i went back with rigid instead. i've never ridden one, but it seemed to me like it would be nice. i quite like the RS Pilot i have on my gearie, really plush early in the travel, and harder to bottom out than you'd think. fairly light, a wee bit on the flexy side IMO, but that may be because my main bike is rigid. you can probably get a good deal on one too, but if you do, i'd make sure to get a pilot XC or SL....

·
Registered
212 Posts
Pain Freak said:
I know a lot of guys riding ss also like to ride rigid. I can't. After seven broken wrists it hurts even to ride with suspension.Just doesn't hurt enough to stop riding.Real question here is:

Is it beneficial to have more or less travel?

I'm currently running a Fox Vanilla and it has way to much travel for what I ride ( I don't like the angle). I'm on a small frame Surly 1X1. Any suggestions on what might be a good fork for this bike?
I've broken my wrist 3 different times over a 3 year span, and now have a some hardware built in to hold it all together. I used to run run risers with barends . For some reason it felt like the risers provided some extra flex, and the bar ends gave me an option for different hand position.

Last year I went back to riding rigid and don't use the bar ends anymore either. It hurts a bit, but I enjoy the ride so much more.

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
shiggy said:
Change your bars. Straight bars put more stain on the wrists. Bars like the Mary, Jones HBar, Midge dropbar put your wrists in a more natural position that is better for absorbing bumps. That is the reason I switched to dropbars 18 years ago. Never used suspension until 8 years ago.
hey pain freak, i've met ya before. we met chino hills. doubt you remember though.

i do not think chaning out forks is going to help any. the vanilla is one of the smoothest/plushest forks available. and, you can convert the travel on it.

i gotta agree with shiggy....try out the jones or mary bar.

i have a jones on my 9er and a midge on my cx, they are just plain great. with the midge, it's a night and day difference really. i came off a salsa bellap onto the midge. it feels so much better control and comfort wise. it makes rigid much more comfortable. to give you an idea of the comfort and control, i am riding my ss cx all around turnbull canyon, and its a blast on 7th St loop.

same with the jones. i went from a 26" flat bar, to the jones, back to the flat bar and then back to the jones. again...the control is awesome. i haven't tried rigid yet, but i can't wait to try it.

these bars all look kinda funny, but that's what makes them work well, they just have a more ergonomic/biomechanical shape to them....they just plain work better with your body.

if i were you, i'd just give the on-one mary a try....you shouldn't have to swap stems (like the jones)...just switch bars and ride.

cheers and good luck.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
shiggy said:
Why? I have lockout and rarely use it. Not a feature I look for.
if i were to get a susp fork for my ss (not considering it, but you never know), i'd make sure to get a lockout for touring and paved riding. i hate plushness when you're cranking up a paved hill.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i have found that i like the rigid feel. to make it so that my wrists don't sound like cement mixers i have found large volume tires to be enough. right now i am running a 2.65 on the front which i think might be a bit of overkill but the bike is only for training for the XC series in michigan and to use so that i don't hurt my new salsa. i have found that riding the single speed with rigid fork is a great way to relearn how to ride. it has seemed to make me much faster and smoother however running a tire around 1.95 on the bike i have found will kill my wrists especially at any pressures over 50lbs.

*ride and smile*

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Vanilla...

Those forks have an internal travel adjust. Often you will need to get a different spring weight to compensate for the change. If you don't have the spacer you'll need to get one from Fox for next to nothing. The springs are a bit pricey.

I think Vanillas are great for SS. They are one of the most no nonsence, duarable, stiff forks out there. Coil are smooth and no need to worry about airing up. That's what I run on my SS. The only problem is that the fork may be too smooth. It gives a bit of an unbalance feel on a HT. I use the lockout frequently. I'm also thinking about changing the spring.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.