Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well im the proud new owner of a 2008 hardrock disc from my LBS with the great price of $390. my only complaint is the fork. ive read a couple reviews of people not being happy with it due to stiffness and lack of travel. so i need your help in picking a good fork that wont break my bank either.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
You need to be a little more specific if you want replys

What fork do you have? what do you not like about it? what models are you considering, and what is your price range.
It may be a little late for this advice, but buying a low end bike, and then upgrading it a little at a time is alot more costly in the long run then getting a better bike with parts you would be happy with from the get go. My advice would be to ride the hell out of the bike you have and save your pennys for a higher end bike in the future. Upgrading a piece at a time on your current bike will cost you more then you spent for the bike, and have little resale potential.

·
Registered
49 Posts
LeasingGuy said:
+1

and a "good fork" is about twice the price of your current ride
well it doesnt need 2 b that good... im in the same situation, i want a better fork 4 my hardrock and have about 200-300 bucks 2 spend on a fork...

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
BftXJ said:
well im the proud new owner of a 2008 hardrock disc from my LBS with the great price of $390. my only complaint is the fork. ive read a couple reviews of people not being happy with it due to stiffness and lack of travel. so i need your help in picking a good fork that wont break my bank either.
Why don't you ride the bike first, then see what you need yourself? Your complaint is in fact the complaint of others on an internet forum.

Next, if you want a decent fork, it would be silly on so many grounds to hang a nice fork off a frame like that, especially when it costs more than the whole bike and the geo isn't really designed to be a serious bike for the trails at that level.

wow thanks for all the help
Sarcasm detected. It's a holiday, for one, second this isn't an infinitely important question, despite the fact that you feel it is important enough to demand an answer.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
PB Matrix said:
I like these,

http://cgi.ebay.com/MANITOU-MINUTE-...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Get a 20mm axeled fork, the extra stiffness make mucho difference in riding the ruff stuff.
That is a nice, fork and I agree that a 20mm thru axle makes a big difference. But a 20mm thru axle fork will not worh with his existing front wheel and we will either need a new compatible front wheel or purachse a new 20mm front hub and pay his LBS to lace it into his front wheel. Either way he is looking at another $100 in addition to that fork.

If the OP wants an upgraded fork, maybe he should look for a decent used fork.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its not that i demand an answer but a litte help would be great. ive been riding the bike for about 2 weeks now and teh fork is just too stiff. if i hit a decent size bump it just bucks up like a wild animal. and i dont mind spenind a little dough on decent fork in the $200 range or even a used fork. its a great frame to add little bits too. i bought teh bike to get back into the sport and when my dealer offered to bump it down to 390 casue im military i jumped all over it for what is usally a $500 bike

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Then you should have checked into what the dealer would have given you for $500. Perhaps it would have been something with better overall componentry and a frame.

There have been several threads in the last few days like this where people made a purchase they weren't satisfied with, then looked unrealistically to get certain forks or other stuff to hang off their bikes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im very happy with the bike. the componets on it are a little low end but i was fine with that. small upgrades at a time make this bike alot more affordable for a college student like me. i cant affor to go drop 1000 on a bike, but a 390 bike with decent componets and a 200 or so fork will be better money wise for me and still do all the things i want.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
BftXJ said:
its not that i demand an answer but a litte help would be great. ive been riding the bike for about 2 weeks now and teh fork is just too stiff. if i hit a decent size bump it just bucks up like a wild animal.
what kind of fork is it? I just wonder if it is a coil sprung fork, and the stock coils are too heavy for your weight. If it is you could get differrnt coils.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts