Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im thinking about putting on a diifferent fork on my KHS Freeride2000 frame
(Yeah I know.... crap) Right now Ive got a 145mm Nixon. I want at least six inches, a max of 8.....for travel. I want to buy used, budget is about 250 dollars max. I was looking at Junior t's or older boxxers. Any suggestions/ other recommendations?thanks in advance

.....oh yeah, Im gonna be riding aggresive all mountain/light to medium downhill, but I also have to ride home from school everyday(5 miles)What about some kind of lockout....I know Im pushing my budget a lil bit...lol

...I weight 130 pounds

·
Registered
784 Posts

My old FR2000 use to have an '06 66RC2x and it was a good pair. My HA was about 66.5 and BB height was around 14.5. It was my "The ONE" bike for 2 years and the fork just took everything that I could throw at it. Right now it's paired with my San Andreas DNA for AM riding.

You might be able to snag a used one for $350 from pinkbike / ridemonkey.

Goodluck!

·
2,678 Posts
I've got a Domain 318 on my hardtail, it's a great fork. Tons of adjustment, very plush but a litle heavy at 6.5 lbs.

Considering the absurd price tags on the Fox 36 and RS Totem forks, the Domain is great long travel bang for the buck.

·
Stray Bullet
2,273 Posts
What is wrong with the Nixon? IIs it holding your riding back somehow?

Those are very underrated forks and more than likely better than anything you'll be able to buy for $200.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My nixon is way too soft, I brought it to the bike shop where I work and the fork expert says there might be a broken spring, but I still want some more travel cause the few trails that are local that I ride are pretty much downhill trails. I am going to wait until the nixon is fixed, but if it still doesn't get the job done, Im going to look at another fork.

Actually, as Im writing this, I just remembered the newer nixons have 160mm travel, anyone have expierence with these? Also, Ive got a pretty steep HA, and my fork isn't very tall, so the steering is kinda whacky on my fs

·
Registered
784 Posts
170mm 888RC's are also nice. I got mine barely used for $250; shelled out $150 for Works and it's the best $400 I've ever spent!

Look around for a deal.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What about an older boxxer? Do you think it will have too much travel for what Im looking for?thanks for all the advice so far

·
Registered
784 Posts
dowst said:
Or not. You could have done the works tuning yourself for like $30.
I know but I'm not mechanically gifted and I got a good deal on the fork so it kinda evens it out cost wise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.